Regional Playoff schedules?

Real Sasquatch

3 hours ago, redtiger said:

How did A determine seeding?

D at least makes sense, it's not the best way but it's essentially what the whole state does from the State Semis on

Region A essentially created it's own system.  The took the VHSL power rating, then created a "regional ranking and win loss percentage ranking" and assigned 2/3rds of the weight to the "regional ranking and win loss percentage ranking" and went from there with seeding.  By looking at it, it's heavily rewarding teams like Brunswick who plays a very weak schedule and Nottoway who plays several Class 1 schools, but because the record is good and the teams they play are in the "regional area" there region ranking is high.  For a team like Poquoson who plays arguably the toughest 2A schedule in Va with 9 out of 10 schools that are either Class 3A or 4A, it hurt them because they got 3 losses, and the teams they played were not in the 2A "Region."  Craziest thing I think I've seen for playoff seeding in quite some time.  

In summary, they basically created their own ranking system, and assigned heavy weight to their own system, but I guess to remain compliant or not worried about slack from the VHSL, they kept the VHSL power rating system, but assigned it little weight.  Poquoson, the 3rd highest power rated team became the 6th seed and will travel in round 1 and round 2 of the playoffs.  Amelia, the 6th ranked VHSL power rated school somehow became the 4 seed, and hosts game one of the playoffs.  Calpreps.....Poquoson 47, Amelia 10.

4 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

That's even worse.  Actually, that's more pathetic.  Wouldn't surprise me a bit if the principals made the decision without the Head Football Coaches having a clue until the deal was done.  I can't be sure of that though.  I don't know and don't claim to know.

AD , is sometimes the head coach, sometimes the principal….just saying , one in the same

3 hours ago, redtiger said:

How did A determine seeding?

D at least makes sense, it's not the best way but it's essentially what the whole state does from the State Semis on

I respect your opinion, but I don't think D makes sense and here's why.  Every team in the Region is not on the same set of rules.  Whatever rules you want to go by, if every team is under that set, then so be it.  You have one district going by District Record and another District going by Power Rating.  The very purpose and nature of power ranking is fairness, and that fairness is assumed by an ADEQUATE STATISTICAL SAMPLE.  Adequate statistical sample meaning........you have a bunch of teams under the same power rating system that can flush out, account for a team that plays a week schedule.  Going by power ranking with only 6 schools is crazy.  You can have statistical outliers come into play and there is not enough teams in the sample to "wash out" those outliers.  The outlier being the obvious.  Lee High outpoint GC due to East Montgomery and Rye Cove or whoever it was, when Gate City was unfortunate enough to schedule Richlands and Radford.  The AD's or Principals or Coaches or combination should have had one rule for all schools, both districts, and that is......guys, we can do it by power rating or top 4, but whichever way we do it, both districts are going by the same set of rules.  Only my opinion

Fortunately, it did work out  If you look at it, the top 8 highest power rated teams got in the playoffs and Gate City, if going by the normal system, would not have got in the playoffs anyway as they had the 9th highest power ranking.  I just like the same set of rules for every team in the equation, but again, if agree to early on, then so be it.  Rules are rules and they agreed to it.  

So, Graham playing Lee, which will most likely be over by the 2nd quarter, may not be a good thing for them.  Should Graham leave the starters in for 3 quarters or take them out at half (if in fact it does get out of hand).  If they leave the starters in they give the appearance of running up the score?  However, it may be the best thing to keep the team sharp for the following week.  One could argue, keep the starters healthy and take them out.  But in the past, teams that do that seem to come out flat the following week.  It's a tight-rope that Graham may have to walk on friday night.  

5 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

So, Graham playing Lee, which will most likely be over by the 2nd quarter, may not be a good thing for them.  Should Graham leave the starters in for 3 quarters or take them out at half (if in fact it does get out of hand).  If they leave the starters in they give the appearance of running up the score?  However, it may be the best thing to keep the team sharp for the following week.  One could argue, keep the starters healthy and take them out.  But in the past, teams that do that seem to come out flat the following week.  It's a tight-rope that Graham may have to walk on friday night.  

Good point. The final two games of the season for Graham have not been very challenging. No disrespect to Blacksburg or Marion. Now, they have Lee and this game "should" be in hand by halftime like you said. I believe id leave the starters in for the first or second series of the 3rd if at all possible. Its been good to rest the starters the last two weeks. I just hope it doesn't come back to hurt us.

5 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Good point. The final two games of the season for Graham have not been very challenging. No disrespect to Blacksburg or Marion. Now, they have Lee and this game "should" be in hand by halftime like you said. I believe id leave the starters in for the first or second series of the 3rd if at all possible. Its been good to rest the starters the last two weeks. I just hope it doesn't come back to hurt us.

Leaving starters in the game in these situations is fine just don't throw bombs that's where you get into running up the score on overmatched teams

Just now, Mountain Football said:

I agree completely.  Playing weak teams at the end of the season is not a good thing heading into the playoffs.  Of course, Graham scheduled Pulaski and Blacksburg, I'm sure to be playing quality teams at the end of the season.  Surely they didn't anticipate Blacksburg to be so weak and Pulaski to be a lesser opponent then expected.  No offense to Lee either, I'm sure they are elated to be in the playoffs, but a game like this is like having an off-week before a playoff game against a very good opponent.   Graham will most likely have 2 very challenging opponents the following 2 weeks after Lee.  Graham had better be ready to be smacked in the mouth after this game, hope they don't let their guard down.

I would do what I do for 3 quarters, but altered some.  If I'm up 45 to nothing on Lee High, I would have a convo with my fellow peers (coaches) at halftime and ask them, what can we do in this next quarter that would best prepare us or help us with Union (assuming it's Union).  Whatever that answer was, I would do it in the 3rd quarter.  If it meant we need to work on our passing game, then so be it.  If it means we need to work on our run defense, which means we play very vanilla O and punt it just to play run defense, whatever that thing is that needs worked on to prepare for Union, I would do that for the  3rd quarter than pull the starters  I would also make it clear early on to the Lee High Coach respectfully and honestly, "we are playing our starters for 3 quarters" and honestly explain why.   

2 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Leaving starters in the game in these situations is fine just don't throw bombs that's where you get into running up the score on overmatched teams

Agree 100%. When I say leave them in till the 3rd, I'm even on the fence about that lol. As a coach its almost a no win situation. If you leave them in and a key starter gets injured.....not good. If you pull them out then obviously they don't get the much needed reps. But to your point airing it wouldn't look good at all.

3 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

I would do what I do for 3 quarters, but altered some.  If I'm up 45 to nothing on Lee High, I would have a convo with my fellow peers (coaches) at halftime and ask them, what can we do in this next quarter that would best prepare us or help us with Union (assuming it's Union).  Whatever that answer was, I would do it in the 3rd quarter.  If it meant we need to work on our passing game, then so be it.  If it means we need to work on our run defense, which means we play very vanilla O and punt it just to play run defense, whatever that thing is that needs worked on to prepare for Union, I would do that for the  3rd quarter than pull the starters  I would also make it clear early on to the Lee High Coach respectfully and honestly, "we are playing our starters for 3 quarters" and honestly explain why.   

I would work on proper tackling the entire game, if I were Graham.  That first game against Union exposed some very bad tackling and it also exposed some laziness on defense.  

17 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Unions last 2 games weren't competitive either but one of those was Union getting their ass whooped lol 😂

6 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I would work on proper tackling the entire game, if I were Graham.  That first game against Union exposed some very bad tackling and it also exposed some laziness on defense.  

Yes, I’d fine tune some things & leave starters in for at least 3rd Q maybe longer. It’s definitely a fine line but Graham needs to take advantage of the opportunity since they last two games were essentially blowouts with starters not playing a full game. If I’m Palmer, let the critics talk & do what you need to do to ensure your guys are best prepared for round 2. 

One more thing for Graham fans since you asked about what to work on.  Who knows that best is the man who watches em everyday in practice and that's Coach Palmer.  From an outside fan's perspective just having watched them a bunch this year, I thought Graham had 2 weaknesses on offense and one has been fixed with the emergence of the lineplay, and that is, running between the tackles with the running back.  The QB and some of those runs will be taken away sooner or later by teams like Appo, if Graham and Appo get that far, and Graham will be forced to run the ball with the RB between the tackles to seal the deal and put the game away.  I think Graham has fixed that.

But......the intermediate passing game I think, needs work and here's why.  Graham has such exposiveness and speed that they have got away with the long ball so many times because the competition in the Region is just simply nowhere close to the speed a team like Appo or KW or Nottoway will have.  They WILL take that away.  Union in round two, I think, will also take the vertical-long ball passing game away and they will be playing way back.  I just don't see a bunch of intermediate passing routes with Graham all year long and I don't know why.  It's as if a "sit down" or "comeback" route 15 yds in the middle of the field doesn't exist.  It will be WIDE OPEN against Union as they will be playing way deep in coverage not to get beat long.   I think, just my opinion, Graham's offense work needs to come in the intermediate passing game in the middle of the field, not just 4 guys running to the end zone on 2 post routes and 2 flag routes.  Only my take.....much of Graham's passing game has been long-vertical ball or very short hitch to Bradshaw and let him go, and if the long ball isn't there, the QB breaks containment and runs.  Graham is so athletic they've been able to get away with this in the region.  They will not get away that this against faster defenses they will see at the state level, if Graham gets that far.  They need to, in my opinion, to work on and better develop an intermediate passing game.

1 hour ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

One more thing for Graham fans since you asked about what to work on.  Who knows that best is the man who watches em everyday in practice and that's Coach Palmer.  From an outside fan's perspective just having watched them a bunch this year, I thought Graham had 2 weaknesses on offense and one has been fixed with the emergence of the lineplay, and that is, running between the tackles with the running back.  The QB and some of those runs will be taken away sooner or later by teams like Appo, if Graham and Appo get that far, and Graham will be forced to run the ball with the RB between the tackles to seal the deal and put the game away.  I think Graham has fixed that.

But......the intermediate passing game I think, needs work and here's why.  Graham has such exposiveness and speed that they have got away with the long ball so many times because the competition in the Region is just simply nowhere close to the speed a team like Appo or KW or Nottoway will have.  They WILL take that away.  Union in round two, I think, will also take the vertical-long ball passing game away and they will be playing way back.  I just don't see a bunch of intermediate passing routes with Graham all year long and I don't know why.  It's as if a "sit down" or "comeback" route 15 yds in the middle of the field doesn't exist.  It will be WIDE OPEN against Union as they will be playing way deep in coverage not to get beat long.   I think, just my opinion, Graham's offense work needs to come in the intermediate passing game in the middle of the field, not just 4 guys running to the end zone on 2 post routes and 2 flag routes.  Only my take.....much of Graham's passing game has been long-vertical ball or very short hitch to Bradshaw and let him go, and if the long ball isn't there, the QB breaks containment and runs.  Graham is so athletic they've been able to get away with this in the region.  They will not get away that this against faster defenses they will see at the state level, if Graham gets that far.  They need to, in my opinion, to work on and better develop an intermediate passing game.

I agree 100 % about the intermediate passing game.  They rely way too much on the deep patterns.  The old "get your athletes in space" and let them do what they do applies here.  A team like Appo will take those deep balls away.  They relied on the qb trying to get to the edge and the deep passes in 2019.  Appo completely took Grahams running game away, kept the QB from getting to the edge and Graham had very little success with the deep ball.  The middle of the field was open.

8 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

And Graham, the highest ranked team by power ranking if they win in game one, will not get to automatically play the lowest remaining seeded team in (Ridgeview if they win).  Still, the real joke is Gate City and Lee High.  I don't know how Lee High, and their AD/Coach can get off the bus at Mitchell Stadium with their eyes gazing up and shoulders not slouched.  It's not Lee High's fault though.   Looks like Lee High's choice to play East Montgomery and Rye Cove or whoever it was vs Gate City playing against Radford and Richlands really paid off.   That will teach Gate City to stop playing better competition!!  Hopefully they learned their lesson!!!  LMAO.  What a freaking joke.

Definitely crazy but truly neither team deserves to be in the playoffs. I guess some of us GC folks saying better Lee to take that spanking anyways. I'm kidding. 😂😂 Hopefully if they keep up the 8 teams a region it will be the top 8 teams and not go by districts in the future.