Combined Schools

Tru Blue 72

Tazewell county has three schools in the playoffs and all are playing against combined schools.  I wonder if Tazewell county combined and had two schools, Tazewell Co. East consisting of Richlands and half of Tazewell, and Tazewell Co. West consisting of the other half of Tazewell and Graham, how do you guys think they would do?

In my honest opinion, probably not as well as Graham is now, or as Richlands has the 10-15 years prior, especially if it leads to a larger classification.  

As it stands, shortcomings can be addressed with the addition of a single player or two without taking on the larger enrollment. 

This is based on the postseason. Regular season should be better if you continue to play the same schedule due to larger enrollment. 

47 minutes ago, foosballer said:

https://www.timesnews.net/sports/vhsl-committee-proposes-dropping-from-6-classes-to-4/article_e542e0fc-12ad-58c4-ac9d-fb6a176a9ceb.html

Numbers wise I think Riverheads would fit into a small 2A school if the proposal passes league approval. 

The article you linked describes ADM figures being calculated from grades 9-11. Given that caveat, it's doubtful Riverheads would be affected classification wise. 

2 hours ago, foosballer said:

In 2023 Graham could be playing in Class 1A. Would they become the new Riverheads? 

Not if Riverheads stays in 1A and I doubt they would be as dominant as Riverheads has been for as long as they have been regardless.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

The article you linked describes ADM figures being calculated from grades 9-11. Given that caveat, it's doubtful Riverheads would be affected classification wise. 

I know these are old articles and I can't find anything new from VHSL but the talk was Riverheads could be a small 2A school come 2023

https://newsvirginian.com/sports/high-school/vhsl-exploring-classification-changes/article_1c4dc2a4-13f2-11eb-8285-5be7edf23249.html

"

How the Class 1 enrollment numbers are determined could also have an impact on Riverheads.

Riverheads athletic director Tim Morris has no problem with the way things are now.

“We don’t mind the current situation,” he said. “I don’t see a need for change. We will go wherever our enrollment takes us. We will either be a big (Class) 1 or small (Class) 2.” "

4 hours ago, foosballer said:

I know these are old articles and I can't find anything new from VHSL but the talk was Riverheads could be a small 2A school come 2023

https://newsvirginian.com/sports/high-school/vhsl-exploring-classification-changes/article_1c4dc2a4-13f2-11eb-8285-5be7edf23249.html

"

How the Class 1 enrollment numbers are determined could also have an impact on Riverheads.

Riverheads athletic director Tim Morris has no problem with the way things are now.

“We don’t mind the current situation,” he said. “I don’t see a need for change. We will go wherever our enrollment takes us. We will either be a big (Class) 1 or small (Class) 2.” "

Buffalo Gap athletic director Andrew Grove said it’s way too early to determine which direction the VHSL will go, but he does have a preference.“I would like to see us go back to the old three-class, two-division system that was used for years,"   ????????

We currently have 6 classes.  If we do what the B. Gap guy says, we still have............6.  We are just call it something different.  I know 5 classifications is not in the discussion according to the article.  We have 6 now.  On the table is a discussion of 4 classes or possibly 3.   Why leave out the 5?  It would seem to me that 3 is far to few, 6 is far to many, and 4 is not quite enough when looking at the wide range of enrollments.  5 evidently, isn't in the discussion.  It it what it is.

7 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Buffalo Gap athletic director Andrew Grove said it’s way too early to determine which direction the VHSL will go, but he does have a preference.“I would like to see us go back to the old three-class, two-division system that was used for years,"   ????????

We currently have 6 classes.  If we do what the B. Gap guy says, we still have............6.  We are just call it something different.  I know 5 classifications is not in the discussion according to the article.  We have 6 now.  On the table is a discussion of 4 classes or possibly 3.   Why leave out the 5?  It would seem to me that 3 is far to few, 6 is far to many, and 4 is not quite enough when looking at the wide range of enrollments.  5 evidently, isn't in the discussion.  It it what it is.

I bet he would prefer that system! The year they beat Clintwood for state BG had an enrollment over 600 and Clintwood was around 325. The Divisional system greatly benefited Region B area schools due to their enrolments mostly being large(for 1A) and very similar.

Now, if he means a 3 Group system for the regular season and then divide the state evenly into divisions for the playoffs (divide all the schools into equal thirds to form the Groups, then come playoff time divide each group in half to form Divisions) thats fair but ultimately would really screw the small 1As. That division needs a hard number cap to keep it competitive. 

I agree with your comments on 5 being the seemingly perfect number. A lot of this drive for change seems to be coming from 5/6A schools, just combine them into a new 5A and expand their playoffs by an extra round.

This one size fits all approach just doesn't work in Virginia

I think six classifications are too many for all sports. Especially golf, tennis, cross country, track, etc. Those sports need to be combined into three classifications. If that's what the AD from Buffalo Gap is inferring, then I agree. However, it shouldn't be done the way it was done before. Galax played Page and Amelia in the basketball state championship game in 2011 and 2012. Each school was more than double the size of Galax at that time. Yet, they were some of the smallest schools in that region so they were Group A, Division 1. 

VHSL needs to stop trying to have equal divisions. Create a classification exclusively for the smallest schools in the state, regardless of the number of schools. Then divide everyone else into three or four equal divisions. 

10 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Perhaps he means point wise. Give only 3 different base points instead of 6 but then divide out by 6 classes for the playoffs???