Playoff Round One Score Updates

BandanaVTDavis4321

AA Number 16 seed Fairmont Senior Beats AA Number 1 seed Herbert Hoover 30-28.

AA Number 2 Independence beats Shady Spring 73-7.

Because the Beavers won today as the 14 seed, if I have it correctly and West Virginia doesn't reseed, then the Beavers will play the 6th seed next week on the road against North Marion.  North Marion, the 6th seed beat Grafton, the 11th seed 64-14.  

In Single A, Mount View, the 5th seed beat Sherman, the 12th seed 18-6. 

Princeton is one and done.  They got blown out on the road against Spring Valley by a score 56-14.

Martinsburg held on to beat Parkersburg South 83 to 20.

Also in WV Single A ball, 16 seed Gilmer County beat number one seed Cameron 19-14.

In West Virginia, 2 out of the 3 number one seeds lost to the 16th seed in round one of the playoffs.  Now, I'm not a smart dude, but common sense has me being to wonder just a touch about how in the he** they are deciding who makes the playoffs and equally important, how in the hel* they are seeding teams?  Something ain't right when 2 of the 3 number one seeds lose in round one.  Oh, by the way, in AA ball, the 3 seed lost to the 14 (Bluefield) in round one, and in AA ball, the 4th seed Lincoln lost to the 13 seed, and I've already mentioned the number one seed in AA ball lost.

To sum it up.  In West Virginia's AA in week one, the 1, 2, and 4 seeds all LOST!  If your Bluefield, things obviously went pretty good for you in week one.  One thing though and I don't know about this but suspect it.  COVID.  I would be willing to bet Covid has likely skewed the strength of weakness of how teams finished in their ranking systems.  From schedule changes to teams having several players out for certain games and losing, but then being full strength and winning the next week, etc.  I would bet this would explain 3 out of the 4 top seeds in AA losing in the first week of the playoffs.  Can't be sure though.

3 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Also in WV Single A ball, 16 seed Gilmer County beat number one seed Cameron 19-14.

In West Virginia, 2 out of the 3 number one seeds lost to the 16th seed in round one of the playoffs.  Now, I'm not a smart dude, but common sense has me being to wonder just a touch about how in the he** they are deciding who makes the playoffs and equally important, how in the hel* they are seeding teams?  Something ain't right when 2 of the 3 number one seeds lose in round one.  Oh, by the way, in AA ball, the 3 seed lost to the 14 (Bluefield) in round one, and in AA ball, the 4th seed Lincoln lost to the 13 seed, and I've already mentioned the number one seed in AA ball lost.

To sum it up.  In West Virginia's AA in week one, the 1, 2, and 4 seeds all LOST!  If your Bluefield, things obviously went pretty good for you in week one.  One thing though and I don't know about this but suspect it.  COVID.  I would be willing to bet Covid has likely skewed the strength of weakness of how teams finished in their ranking systems.  From schedule changes to teams having several players out for certain games and losing, but then being full strength and winning the next week, etc.  I would bet this would explain 3 out of the 4 top seeds in AA losing in the first week of the playoffs.  Can't be sure though.

How often does the 16 seed win in WV? It can't happen that often, happening twice in one year has to be insane statistically. 

4 hours ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Glad Martinsburg was able to hold on. I'm sure it was getting iffy there in the 4th quarter.

8 hours ago, BigWinners said:

How often does the 16 seed win in WV? It can't happen that often, happening twice in one year has to be insane statistically. 

In week 1 - not much. But a 16 HAS won it all!

In 1995, Bluefield fell in the AA finals to a 16 - Musselman.
That was also the only year Blfd played (and lost to) Pikeville.

I am sure that even this year, the 16th seed in Fairmont Senior is dangerous.  I understand they are not as good this year as the last 2 years, but.......they are still Fairmont Senior and they have a history of knowing how to win, and then doing it.....winning.   It helps their chances, as it does Bluefield's, that 1, 2, and 4 lost.  Also, the team Bluefield plays this coming weekend in North Marion, they are the 6th seed and they lost to Fairmont Senior early in the year 20-14.   I think North Marion is probably better than their 6th seeding.  Bluefield has a tough game this week and not a sure win.  I think North Marion, the 6th seed is better than Point Pleasant who was the 3 seed.  

Fairmont Senior was 6-4.  Their losses were to Spring Valley, 21-0.  That's the same Spring Valley that beat Martinsburg earlier in the year and took Princeton apart Friday night.  Fairmont also lost to AAA Bridgeport 35-28, and Bridgeport is the AAA number 3 seed and still undefeated.  The lost to University, the AAA 4 seed who is still undefeated, and they lost to Linsly, who went 5-5 and I'm pretty sure Linsly, a military school isn't allowed to compete in the WV playoffs.   Linsly didn't lose to a WV school this year.  They lost to 4 Ohio Schools and 1 PA school.  Linsly, if allowed to compete, may be the best AA equivalent football team in WV.  They play hands downs, the most difficult AA football equivalent schedule in the state of West Virginia.  P.S.  I think Linsly is counted as an AA equivalent program in WV.  I think they are barely above single A numbers, but no question, if allowed to compete in West Virginia's playoffs (which I am pretty sure they are not) they are year in and year out as good or even better than Fairmont and Bluefield.  So, the above are Fairmont's losses and it kind of hints how sneaky good they probably are as the 16th seed.

So, what I'm getting at is, Fairmont Senior is once again, kind of like Bluefield, one of the better AA teams in West Va even this year as the 16th seeds and 14 seeds.  From what I've gathered, Independence is pretty good as the AA number 3 seed, but they've played one of the weaker AA schedules in West Va this year.  

2 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

I am sure that even this year, the 16th seed in Fairmont Senior is dangerous.  I understand they are not as good this year as the last 2 years, but.......they are still Fairmont Senior and they have a history of knowing how to win, and then doing it.....winning.   It helps their chances, as it does Bluefield's, that 1, 2, and 4 lost.  Also, the team Bluefield plays this coming weekend in North Marion, they are the 6th seed and they lost to Fairmont Senior early in the year 20-14.  

Fairmont Senior was 6-4.  Their losses were to Spring Valley, 21-0.  That's the same Spring Valley that beat Martinsburg earlier in the year.  They lost to AAA Bridgeport 35-28, and Bridgeport is the AAA number 3 seed and still undefeated.  The lost to University, the AAA 4 seed, and they lost to Linsly, who went 5-5 and I'm pretty sure Linsly, a military school isn't allowed to compete in the WV playoffs.   Linsly didn't lose to a WV school this year.  They lost to 4 Ohio School and 1 PA school.  Linsly, if allowed to compete, may be the best AA equivalent football team in WV.

So, what I'm getting at is, Fairmont Senior is once again, kind of like Bluefield, one of the better AA teams in West Va even this year as the 16th seeds and 14 seeds.  From what I've gathered, Independence is pretty good as the AA number 3 seed, but they've played one of the weaker AA schedules in West Va this year.  

Independence is #2 seed haha

3 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Independence is #2 seed haha

Correct 2 seed.  1, 3 and 4 lost.  Independence's schedule is very, very weak compared to teams like Fairmont, North Marion, and Bluefield.  They've put up bigtime numbers/win margins, but I think Fairmont Senior and Bluefield can beat em.

7 minutes ago, GilesDavis4321 said:

Correct 2 seed.  1, 3 and 4 lost.  Independence's schedule is very, very weak compared to teams like Fairmont, North Marion, and Bluefield.  They've put up bigtime numbers/win margins, but I think Fairmont Senior and Bluefield can beat em.

Dont care who wins it...all I'm worried about is our home game this week lol

8 hours ago, VHSLhelper said:

In week 1 - not much. But a 16 HAS won it all!

In 1995, Bluefield fell in the AA finals to a 16 - Musselman.
That was also the only year Blfd played (and lost to) Pikeville.

In one of the most unusual situations chance had it that Musselman did not have to play any of the playoff games on the other team's home field. None of the first three opponent's field's were certified. So the games were played at a nearby certified field. Not a knock against Musselman. Just an interesting fact.

On 11/13/2021 at 2:08 PM, Union_Fan said:

Normally, I'd be pulling for coach Rhodes and Eastside, but I have to admire the great job the staff in TS has done over there. Remarkable turnaround for the Titans.

The Sr. class took a beating for 3 years glad to see them winning again.  They were a good program early 90s even gave some really good Appy teams a tough game

I'm not going to get too lost in the weeds with this. Just wanted to clarify some things posted in this thread so maybe some understanding comes into play in the future. Probably won't do much good because people like to complain to hear themselves complain but here we are.

New construction turf football/soccer fields must be built to current NFHS regulation. Those regulations must be met in order to get the necessary permitting for construction. Said permitting comes from a litany of agencies (local, state and federal). So much so, it would make your head spin trying to understand the process. Football/soccer fields are required to have, at minimum, a 15 foot buffer outside the "restraining line" along the sidelines and 6 foot buffer behind each end zone. The "restraining line" is the dashed line 6 foot offset from the sideline that runs the entire perimeter of the field. Add an additional 2 foot to accommodate the 8 foot coaches box and the field ends up having a 23 foot buffer beyond the sideline. 

These fields are being designed this way because they have to be. Some schools could choose better bleacher set-ups to help offset the issue but none of these schools can sidestep regulations or the filed would never be allowed to be built.