GW @ GALAX

MT FAN 91

Thoughts on this rematch? I for  one am expecting a much more competitive game this go around and the young men from Galax know how much better GW has been playing since the last meeting. I still think if Galax plays up to there capabilities they can come away victorious.

I think Galax wins probably by a lot. True, GW is improved but I think being off round 1 will hurt more than help. At this point in the season every team benefits from starters & subs getting more reps. Keeps the rust down! If GW wins, I’ll be shocked. 

10 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Every year people suggest the playoff rematch will be closer than the regular season game. Every year, it isn’t. This iteration will be no different. 

well last year in reg season we lost 7-0 it was a great game if you like D. playoffs we lost our starting QB and he was top  D player we go on to get hammered I think 41-21. not saying having him would have made a difference but.... you are right it would be crazy not to think nothings going to change second time around GW has lost to Galax twice a year since the 2018-19 season. That being said have you guys ever heard of the due theory?? hopefully one day GW will be due for a victory and to add maybe one day rivershead is due to lose a title game!! hey thats why you play the game. 

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

Every year people suggest the playoff rematch will be closer than the regular season game. Every year, it isn’t. This iteration will be no different. 

That was my initial take when reading MT FAN 91's initial post.  No way I can pick it to be close until one of these playoffs games in actually close.  I don't know this for sure, but it seems to be George Wythe's talent level on its team over the years is a bit closer than what the playoff score indicates.    Not that the Maroon Tide doesn't have more talent, because I think they do, but scores like 41-21, 50ish to 6, 42-14 the last 3 or so years, and that's an average margin of roughly 30 points or 4 touchdowns.  I don't know if Galax's talent level is 4 touchdowns more than George Wythe.  Maybe it is, I don't know, but I think these past games largely speaks to the Maroon Tide's Coaching.  

Riverheads gets the Headlines in Class 1 other than Galax who beat em a few years back, but if you look at what Galax does in the regular season on the years they make the state title game and compare that to the playoffs, Galax absolutely seem to find another gear and pick it up a notch at the perfectly right time.  There's nothing to indicate this game won't be different in my opinion.  

Could it be different? Possibly

Will it be different? Likely not

GW can compete with Galax but they can’t stay conservative on offense or defense and expect to win. Balanced approach but lean more towards attacking while you have the ball. What’s the worst that could happen, lose? Outside of GW most people expect that already so flip the script and come out with fire in your eyes. 

I will agree that GW definitely seems like they’ve improved since I watched them in week 3 but so has Galax. Not only looking at the impressive wins they’ve had but even the losses were impressive. Lost by two TDs to the #1 team in 2C and gave the overall top team in 2A all they wanted for 2.5 quarters. Let’s also not forget how Galax turns it up a few notches in the playoffs. As much as I would like to see GW knock them off and give Giles a 3rd round home playoff game(if we beat PM) I just don’t see it happening. Galax wins 35-13.

4 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I will agree that GW definitely seems like they’ve improved since I watched them in week 3 but so has Galax. Not only looking at the impressive wins they’ve had but even the losses were impressive. Lost by two TDs to the #1 team in 2C and gave the overall top team in 2A all they wanted for 2.5 quarters. Let’s also not forget how Galax turns it up a few notches in the playoffs. As much as I would like to see GW knock them off and give Giles a 3rd round home playoff game(if we beat PM) I just don’t see it happening. Galax wins 35-13.

I always get nervous about the GW game every year. I usually watch a couple of their games in person and think are we going to be able to match that speed. And yet we do.  GW looked really impressive against Grayson , but Galax looked the best I had seen in a long time Friday night. Football is a game of lucky breaks and momentum so anything can happen.

We may end up losing this one but I have been extremely impressed with the Galax kids character and fight this year. To battle back and forth with Glenvar  after missing a whole week of practice and to play hard against Graham being down 5 starters , no matter how the game ends up I’ll be proud of their efforts.

My buddy whos a GW guy whos has lived there pretty much his whole life tells me he really has no faith in the coaches. he is worried once again they will make no changes on offense or defense. says it has been that way since the last coach  left. seems like galax is his kryptonite. 

4 minutes ago, Dobb83 said:

My buddy whos a GW guy whos has lived there pretty much his whole life tells me he really has no faith in the coaches. he is worried once again they will make no changes on offense or defense. says it has been that way since the last coach  left. seems like galax is his kryptonite. 

well i hope your buddy is wrong!!! i pray we come in with something outside of the box and something we have never shown!!! fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

well i hope your buddy is wrong!!! i pray we come in with something outside of the box and something we have never shown!!! fingers crossed.

We came out in new sets and a totally different  Quarterback running plays we haven’t run all year Friday night. We threw all night last Friday and tried to run this Friday . Totally didn’t help,  It made thing worse. Lol they are a tuff out. We might have had 20 yards total offense except for two big pass plays until the jvs got in . 

We brought 10 guys stacked in the box with a 5 man front and dared them to throw it. instead it took them 2 plays to adjust and they just blew us of the ball.  Then decided to throw on us just to show they could. 

9 minutes ago, Topper22 said:

We came out in new sets and a totally different  Quarterback running plays we haven’t run all year Friday night. We threw all night last Friday and tried to run this Friday . Totally didn’t help,  It made thing worse. Lol they are a tuff out. We might have had 20 yards total offense except for two big pass plays until the jvs got in . 

We brought 10 guys stacked in the box with a 5 man front and dared them to throw it. instead it took them 2 plays to adjust and they just blew us of the ball.  Then decided to throw on us just to show they could. 

you have to get pressure on the qb cant let him sit relaxed back there. have to play physical and disciplined 

I think what a lot of people don’t realize is how much the weight room has set Galax apart. Very rarely do you see any of their guys getting blown off the ball. It’s a right of passage up here and I know others hit the weight room but they seem to do something just a little bit different. It’s also helped with injuries. 

1 minute ago, Andersonj829 said:

I think what a lot of people don’t realize is how much the weight room has set Galax apart. Very rarely do you see any of their guys getting blown off the ball. It’s a right of passage up here and I know others hit the weight room but they seem to do something just a little bit different. It’s also helped with injuries. 

Right of passage is a very good way to put it. The dedication is passed down from grade level to grade level with each passing group not wanting to let down those that came before them. It isn't something that can be easily replicated, either. Coaches can put all the right things in place but it's up to the kids and the community to buy-in and make it something special. I see the weight room parking lot full every morning when I drop my daughter off for the Governor School shuttle at 6:30 am. 

1 hour ago, Andersonj829 said:

You cannot leave out the Dutchess Chocolate Milk that they are made to drink after every session Dixon, Allen and Harless believe that stuff is the nectar of the Gods. My kid wont drink it to this day lol