Giles vs Parry McCluer

BandanaVTDavis4321

We just lost to a better team tonight...congrats blues...your RB is a tough ass kid to bring down.

Proud of the year Giles put together after a couple bad seasons.

Agree we need to hit the weight room.this off-season....we were dominated at the LOS....that and the fact we got way too many penalties cost us in the end

Parry McCluer has a coach upgrade for sure.  Well Coached team.  The running back (Bo Duke) reminded me a bunch of a former Richlands great in Brannon Breeding.  Thick legs, big, and moves well.  Parry McCluer looked like a very, very large Class 1 team.  Just size all along the line of scrimmage and thick bodied kids    Congrats to Giles on the season.   

9 hours ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

there is a name i have not heard in a while. team that my Mt Hope Mustangs beat in 89 for the state title. 32 to 8. man miss those days. 

Have family there that pastor a local church. The Midkiff family

1 minute ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Haven't been there in a while....is the place still a dump?

No idea, I sometimes drive up 77 to attend church then drive back to Narrows so I don't know anything about the area lol

1 hour ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Proud of how my Spartans done this season. PM was just the better team and won the battle at the LOS. They very well could’ve put this game out of reach if they would’ve kept passing because our pass D is non existent but they just kept pounding us and took a lot of time off the clock. Giles may have had the ball a total of 6 minutes in the second half. Hopefully the line we have returning will spend a lot of time in the weight room in the off season. And by some miracle hopefully we can be like Graham and get us a good transfer to put at tailback next season…. (Kidding G-Men) 

Lineman definitely need to spend time in the weight room for sure as we'll be replacing a couple. Next man up. I honestly don't think PM was a better team though. Mistakes and penalties cost Giles. Galax beats PM worse than they would beat us for sure I believe. Giles will be just fine at Tailback next season in house I believe. Got a great young core coming back

Just now, Hokiebird7 said:

It was good to see the green wave adopt PM as their team tonight too lol

I think the GreenWave faithful was in quite the dilemma honestly on who to root against? Big brother who's spanked your butt for 30 years or new meat that's gotten extremely chippy over the past couple of seasons. Decisions decisions..

I've said this forever and I swear by it.  When you have two running teams that play each other that are close (and I think we were close with PM, I don't think they were much better overall in talent, but better on the line of scrimmage) but when you have two run teams, yes turnovers hurt, but what can possibly hurt the most by the end of the game is when you look back and see how many of your drives were killed by bad snaps or flags on 1st down and sometimes second down that just crush your drives.  Same for PM.  When they started some of those drives ( I think 2 of them) first and 20ish, it's incredibly tough to overcome that.  We did it more than PM when you count not just the penalties, but the bad snaps in which we had I think 4 drives in that game starting out either 1st and 20 or 2nd and 20ish.  Can't do that in these types of games.  Especially when you have a solid defensive line like PM.

P.S.  Gage is a baller.  Unbelievable how a 150 pounder can come up and give a 225 pounder a hit one on one and make him fall immediately.  He's giving up about 75 pounds and down goes the running back (because Gage was smart enough to go low).  I can't recall a kid 150 lbs (like ever) that plays like he's 190 on offense and defense.  Tough as freakin nails man.

On 11/14/2021 at 12:59 PM, GilesDavis4321 said:

If the Spartans win over Parry McCluer, we advance to the third round of the playoffs (a region title game) for the first time, I think.....since 2014.   A certain website says we lose 27-24.  I think the website is wrong and we win by 7 points.  One thing that helps me be a little confident.  James River beat Parry McCluer 23-8 at Parry McCluer early in the year, and we beat James River.  The Parry McCluer loss to James River was early in the season though, and Parry McCluer has improved.   I'm just hoping for no funny business in Giles in the area of flags.  We like to run it, and going up  against a historical powerhouse program that hasn't had the success they clearly want since the late 80's and early 90's, those boys are going to be sky high, as will their fans.  I'm just hoping for a solid officiating crew that doesn't get caught up in the emotion of the game.  

Parry McCluer started out 0-3, then ran off 7 in a row.  They have some scores that kind of......are flat out weird to me.  They beat Madison County 30-8, and Madison County crushed Luray.  They've blown out Narrows twice.  It's kind of hard for me to gauge Parry McCluer.  What's a little concerning to me is that their run defense is actually pretty dang good.  Their passing defense is horrible. We don't throw it.  I think this game comes down to us (Giles) minimizing 1st or 2nd down holding calls that could cripple our drives.  Going on the road, you can't start out drives with 1st and 20 or 2nd and 15.  If we minimize holding calls which can be drive killers, I think we win.

Wrong.  Amazing how Calpreps gets crazy accurate come playoff time.

1 hour ago, nrv_football said:

Honestly thought Giles was the better team. By watching them both play it looked like Giles was overall better but guess that is why they play the game.

I think they were pretty evenly matched but PM played better last night and made a play or 2 more than we did...that's why they head to Galax and we're done

8 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Narrows played no one. Best team they beat was East Mont. Uncle Vern must be ???? Himself. That’s what I got from it 😂

VERY close, but I think the word we're looking for is "beside." Uncle Vern must be beside himself. Don't worry, you still have control of the board. 😅

A computer out west says Galax 28, McCluer 12

The computer also says....and somewhat surprising to me that if Galax and Holston played today, the score would be 22-14 in favor of Galax, and if Holston could play McCluer, it predicts Holston 21 and McCluer 14.  Had Holston over Giles 28-17.