All-District/Region???

bearforce1

1 hour ago, goose111874 said:

I wasn't taking anything away from the others I was referring to unions weak schedule keeping Lomax from getting much playing time in the second half

Do you have any idea how many total carries he had and his receiving totals?

I wasn't taking anything away from the others I was referring to unions weak schedule keeping Lomax from getting much playing time in the second half

Part of the logistical necessary evil of playing Single A schools, I guess.  Hard to avoid for Union and some of the others.  It’s hard to fill your schedule when there are only 10 other AA schools in the whole region.  

2 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Part of the logistical necessary evil of playing Single A schools, I guess.  Hard to avoid for Union and some of the others.  It’s hard to fill your schedule when there are only 10 other AA schools in the whole region.  

Yeah the Burton game seemed like a good idea at first but no one knew they were gonna be down that bad. 

2 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Do you have any idea how many total carries he had and his receiving totals?

Not sure it's hard to find stats nowadays unless you keep up with them when reading the paper each week

6 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

Not sure it's hard to find stats nowadays unless you keep up with them when reading the paper each week

It really is, I only got his yardage and TDs from Lomax's Twitter. I feel like a school would see a positive bump from fans and the media if they posted their kids' full stats on Twitter or something.

3 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

It really is, I only got his yardage and TDs from Lomax's Twitter. I feel like a school would see a positive bump from fans and the media if they posted their kids' full stats on Twitter or something.

Kingsport use to put the stats in each week but were usually off pretty bad.  I'm not sure if anyone from Union even keeps them you never here about someone breaking a school record or anything.  Tazewell seems to keep their stats but not sure if anyone else does though

So how are District and Region teams selected? Do coaches have a call and just make their case for a couple guys and trade this spot for that spot etc.? I do believe there is a senior bias because I think coaches want to get their kids recognized as they're moving on. Do they breakdown game film from region/district games? Do they go thru region/district stats (which are near impossible to find)? Is it Coaches, writers, AD's, parents, who picks the kids?

I want to see behind the curtain Great Oz!

2 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Kingsport use to put the stats in each week but were usually off pretty bad.  I'm not sure if anyone from Union even keeps them you never here about someone breaking a school record or anything.  Tazewell seems to keep their stats but not sure if anyone else does though

It makes zero sense. I have no idea who's Unions all time leading passer, rusher, receiver, sack leader, etx... I would assume Mitchell has the receiving TDs mark but who knows. Lomax has single game rushing record, is he career leader?

27 minutes ago, T8KNDookeez said:

So how are District and Region teams selected? Do coaches have a call and just make their case for a couple guys and trade this spot for that spot etc.? I do believe there is a senior bias because I think coaches want to get their kids recognized as they're moving on. Do they breakdown game film from region/district games? Do they go thru region/district stats (which are near impossible to find)? Is it Coaches, writers, AD's, parents, who picks the kids?

I want to see behind the curtain Great Oz!

Coaches submit X number of players and then they vote. Most coaches have an agreement, vote for my guys I'll vote for yours.

2 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Yeah the Burton game seemed like a good idea at first but no one knew they were gonna be down that bad. 

4 hours ago, generallyspeaking said:

Anyone know the second team roster?

QB: O’Quinn- RV

WR:  Jenkins (Union); Hammonds (Lee), Mullins (Central)

RB: Cook (Abingdon), Huff (Lee), Satrerfield (Union)

OL: Sturgill (Abingdon), Clark (GC), Hawkins (Central), Mabe (Union), Hall (Union)

TE: Sneed (Union)

AP: Mullins (Central)

Kicker : Reid (Abingdon)

KR: Carter (Abingdon)

Defense:

DL: Sturgill (Central), Roop (Lee), Widner (Abingdon), Gibson (GC)

DE: Sturgill (Abingdon), Sneed (Union)

LB: Hartsock (RV), Carter (Abingdon), Moore (JB), 

DB:Regan (Lee), C.Jenkins (Union), Bunch (Union), Ferguson (Abingdon)

P: Sartin (Central)

PR: M Jenkins (Union)

AP: Satterfield (Union)

Thoughts:

* Poor damn John Battle

* Union and Abingdon potentially over represented

* RV potentially under represented (Counts kid gets 60 catches and no WR love).

*Tough year to be a skill position (Bunch and Hill HM, Mullins 2nd Team)

* Central and GC about right

* Lee surprised a bit

*Senior bias is a real thing people

*A lot of SR’s on the list..new faces next year…except for RV’s Jr. mafia

*Poor damn John Battle

What say you?

37 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

It makes zero sense. I have no idea who's Unions all time leading passer, rusher, receiver, sack leader, etx... I would assume Mitchell has the receiving TDs mark but who knows. Lomax has single game rushing record, is he career leader?

I doubt Lomax is leading rusher it's probably the Davis kid who was they're first RB.  I think the Hall kid probably owns all the passing marks just because they'd actually pass then and he had a ridiculous receiving group with Mitchell and Gavin, Noaks and the TE can't remember his name who went to uva-wise

49 minutes ago, goose111874 said:

I doubt Lomax is leading rusher it's probably the Davis kid who was they're first RB.  I think the Hall kid probably owns all the passing marks just because they'd actually pass then and he had a ridiculous receiving group with Mitchell and Gavin, Noaks and the TE can't remember his name who went to uva-wise

Jake Barnett, excellent TE/DE. Had his career cut short at UVAW due to concussion issues but was a contributor for them. 

I know the Davis kid you're talking about, believe his name was Mykahi, you think he had more yards than Lomax? Lomax has had fewer games probably but he put up 1800 this year and IIRC was at or near 1000 last year so he's at roughly 3,000 career rush yards, give or take a couple hundred. Spears and Hall are most likely the top two in passing, Turner may have caught them had he not lost almost a full season to injury. 

With stuff like tackles, TFLs, sacks, who knows. Been some excellent LBs and DLs in recent history, the 2017 trio at LB was elite with Stidham and company up front, so it's likely Kennedy or Polier at the top for tackles and sacks. 

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Thoughts:

* Poor damn John Battle

* Union and Abingdon potentially over represented

* RV potentially under represented (Counts kid gets 60 catches and no WR love).

*Tough year to be a skill position (Bunch and Hill HM, Mullins 2nd Team)

* Central and GC about right

* Lee surprised a bit

*Senior bias is a real thing people

*A lot of SR’s on the list..new faces next year…except for RV’s Jr. mafia

*Poor damn John Battle

What say you?

Union may be a tad overrepresented, same with Abingdon, but I didn't watch enough Battle/Lee/GC to know who could be added. 

As for Counts not getting a WR spot, I think he was overshadowed some and it might have came down to the RV staff giving up that spot in exchange for someone else, I dunno. Jenkins at Union was a very good WR and excellent playmaker but he didn't get near the opportunities that the RV trio got. 

to me, the POY awards were the worst. I felt like Lomax earned the offensive side and Tester earned it on defense, and if you're gonna have co OPOY, how was it not Beavers?

17 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Jake Barnett, excellent TE/DE. Had his career cut short at UVAW due to concussion issues but was a contributor for them. 

I know the Davis kid you're talking about, believe his name was Mykahi, you think he had more yards than Lomax? Lomax has had fewer games probably but he put up 1800 this year and IIRC was at or near 1000 last year so he's at roughly 3,000 career rush yards, give or take a couple hundred. Spears and Hall are most likely the top two in passing, Turner may have caught them had he not lost almost a full season to injury. 

With stuff like tackles, TFLs, sacks, who knows. Been some excellent LBs and DLs in recent history, the 2017 trio at LB was elite with Stidham and company up front, so it's likely Kennedy or Polier at the top for tackles and sacks. 

The reason I think Davis had more and it's a guess is just because he played in more games.  Pretty sure he started as a sophomore and Lomax missed a season with an injury.  No doubt though who the best RB we've had is.  Spears only played 1 year at QB and Hall 3 years maybe 4 and one of those seasons he was over 3000 yards if I remember correctly.  Spears though was the better of the 2 just didn't play long enough.  Union during that time had the best receivers I've ever seen on 1 team around here.  Gavin went to vmi Mitchell to tech barnette to wise Noaks and spears was a WR when not at QB.  Very talented bunch.

The reason I think Davis had more and it's a guess is just because he played in more games.  Pretty sure he started as a sophomore and Lomax missed a season with an injury.  No doubt though who the best RB we've had is.  Spears only played 1 year at QB and Hall 3 years maybe 4 and one of those seasons he was over 3000 yards if I remember correctly.  Spears though was the better of the 2 just didn't play long enough.  Union during that time had the best receivers I've ever seen on 1 team around here.  Gavin went to vmi Mitchell to tech barnette to wise Noaks and spears was a WR when not at QB.  Very talented bunch.

The 2015 team was absolutely loaded at the skill positions. Two collegiate TEs, Gavin who played at VMI, Noaks who probably coulda played somewhere in different circumstances and three very good RBs. I forgot Spears only started one year at QB so it's probably Hall-Turner-Spears in passing yards. 

12 hours ago, BigWinners said:

The 2015 team was absolutely loaded at the skill positions. Two collegiate TEs, Gavin who played at VMI, Noaks who probably coulda played somewhere in different circumstances and three very good RBs. I forgot Spears only started one year at QB so it's probably Hall-Turner-Spears in passing yards. 

What kind of numbers did Jake Huff have at QB? 

6 hours ago, foosballer said:

What kind of numbers did Jake Huff have at QB? 

I have no idea. It's almost impossible for easily find old Union stats. I'm sure the program has them but as someone on the outside, I have no idea. He was tough man, he was not blessed with great size but never shied away. 

5 minutes ago, EH31 said:

Just seen that Abingdon’s QB & WR made 2nd team all SWVA from the kingsport times 😂

I just read that.  Anyone else feel like they got it right more so than the coaches?  O’Quinn was best QB in the area…only Blevins at his level and I think O’Quinn is a better passer now and equal the runner Blevins is.  Blevins just had a better feel for the games and making plays…which comes with experience.  Carter is not OPOY…..Times voted him 2nd team.

24 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

I just read that.  Anyone else feel like they got it right more so than the coaches?  O’Quinn was best QB in the area…only Blevins at his level and I think O’Quinn is a better passer now and equal the runner Blevins is.  Blevins just had a better feel for the games and making plays…which comes with experience.  Carter is not OPOY…..Times voted him 2nd team.

I agree with the players, and I don't think you could go wrong with Warner or Patterson for COY. Maybe Warner got the nod because Patterson had a lot more talent to work with than TS.