Abingdon shopping for another new coach

zebra

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

If that team stays together — they have the talent to make a run towards Richmond. But who knows if they all stay or come out to play at this point. 

I hope they stay together regardless of coaching change. I feel like Lowe should encourage them to stay together and play hard for the new coach. If he cares about them as much as everyone says, that’s the approach he should take & not encourage them to balk at coaching change but that’s also an outsider’s perspective. I guess we’ll just have to sit back and see what happens. 

11 hours ago, Austrian Ben Shapiro said:

Buchanan County’s only newspaper is reporting that Tom Rife is new HC at RHS for the Varsity Girls. 

Unfortunate situation for Coach Lowe.  Has Tom Rife been coaching somewhere since he left Richlands?

33 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Unfortunate situation for Coach Lowe.  Has Tom Rife been coaching somewhere since he left Richlands?

I thought Rife coached at Tazewell for one season until they could find a coach for the boys maybe 3 or 4 years ago. For all practical purposes, he’s retired though. 

There is no chance of a state championship in the future of the RHS girls program,  maybe a district win and some regional play with the Altizer and Trivitte girls, but that’s it. Lowe is aware of this, he knows winning summer league does not equal a state championship. It’s disingenuous on his part to get these girls and their parents riled up to insinuate an unattainable success to promote himself. 

If he truly cares about the girls and the basketball program, he will encourage them to continue playing and discouraged any talk of sitting out a season if he isn’t reinstated. Time to prove that it’s not about him and his firing but about the kids. 

There is more to this and he knows it. Making all the facts public would clear it all up and he could stop this self righteous campaign. Then, everyone could focus on the girls and supporting them. 

I agree that Richlands winning state in 2A would be very tough because of Central.   From what I have seen, Trivette could be right there with Mccamis this season for being a force.   I have watched her play for a couple years now and her ability to go along with her size makes her a tough match up for any team in SWVA.  The reason Wise will prevail is because their supporting cast will just be better than Richlands.  Rumors are that the Central powers-that-be have been busy bringing in players to replace last year's seniors.   Names that have been mentioned are Damron from Eastside and Looney from Grundy.   

1 hour ago, Smitty said:
There is no chance of a state championship in the future of the RHS girls program,  maybe a district win and some regional play with the Altizer and Trivitte girls, but that’s it. Lowe is aware of this, he knows winning summer league does not equal a state championship. It’s disingenuous on his part to get these girls and their parents riled up to insinuate an unattainable success to promote himself. 

If he truly cares about the girls and the basketball program, he will encourage them to continue playing and discouraged any talk of sitting out a season if he isn’t reinstated. Time to prove that it’s not about him and his firing but about the kids. 

There is more to this and he knows it. Making all the facts public would clear it all up and he could stop this self righteous campaign. Then, everyone could focus on the girls and supporting them. 

If what I heard is half true, then the board had every right to not reinstate him.  I don't think the board can make public everything can they  since it was a personnel decision albeit a coaching position??? Someone with more knowledge of  policy & legality might be able to speak to that. As I stated previously, if he truly cares about the girls then he will encourage them to keep playing for the new coach and support them as a spectator.  It's my understanding that he's wanting the girls to sit out and let him form a travel ball team and play that way.  coaches have lost positions or resigned (in various sports at Richlands & elsewhere in the county) yet still supported the players instead of making the transition worse.  Great coaches never make it about THEMSELVES and don't want the glory.  They always default to giving the players the recognition.  Not my monkey not my circus but it sure has those parents and players riled up and ready to string up the board and Tom Rife figuratively speaking.  I hope the girls play & have a successful season. 

5 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

I mean… that’s an opinion. Lol. 

If they all sit out it’s a 100% accurate statement, lol.

Seriously, I hope Coach Lowe encourages them to take the high road and to play, play hard, & show why people like you think they can be contenders in girls’ basketball.  

10 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Getting by Central will be the biggest task for awhile.

Getting by the M7!  The conference is head and shoulders above the SWD.  Hell, Ridgeview should have knocked off Central on their way to a title twice in the past 4,5 years. I watched those games and RV absolutely choked…no other way to say it.  Then throw in GC who has a title and is a great program.  Those three are top notch and all have state titles.  Union is up and coming as a program.  The talent in the conference and playing each other 2,3,4 times a year really builds those teams up.  Impressive conference.  Richlands will have to schedule tough OoC opponents to get that experience.

9 minutes ago, SwvaOG said:

Getting by the M7!  The conference is head and shoulders above the SWD.  Hell, Ridgeview should have knocked off Central on their way to a title twice in the past 4,5 years. I watched those games and RV absolutely choked…no other way to say it.  Then throw in GC who has a title and is a great program.  Those three are top notch and all have state titles.  Union is up and coming as a program.  The talent in the conference and playing each other 2,3,4 times a year really builds those teams up.  Impressive conference.  Richlands will have to schedule tough OoC opponents to get that experience.

Agree! If I'm not mistaken Richlands dropped Bluefield when Lowe took over as head coach and play a lot of single A teams for out of conference games.  They'll definitely need to play up to get the experience they need to get past the M7 for sure.  M7 is head and shoulders above the SWD as far as girls' basketball.  

There is no chance of a state championship in the future of the RHS girls program,  

Dude, it’s facts. It’s also not meant to insult these kids. The talent isn’t deep enough, Aaron Lowe is well aware of that fact.  

If you’ve followed the girls basketball program at all, you’d know the only reason he had these girls playing so much summer league is because he was axed from football and had time on his hands. You’d also know winning games in a summer league isn’t exactly a roadmap to state for your upcoming season. 

A real man would check his ego and encourage the girls to keep playing basketball for their high school. Period. Encouraging kids to sit out a season is selfish on his part and no one wins. He ain’t getting his job back and the girls will miss an entire year of their high school career.  

3 hours ago, SwvaOG said:

Lebanon has a strong girls team coming-pretty sure they beat Richlands twice in middle school last year even with the stud girl…with them coming back to the SWD Richlands will have plenty of competition between them, Marion and Va High….and none of those schools are anywhere close to Wise/GC/RV

19 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

No that is Fact unless its 6 or 7 years out. Wise Central has basically built a SWVA All team for the next 5 years.

Going a Step further, I saw Richlands girls play. They will be the most competitive in 2 years when everyone matures. Based on what they presented last year along with their JV, they are at best the 4th best team in the M7. Firmly behind WC/RV and fighting GC. They can beat Union and Lee.

Can you really blame the kids and parents for feeling this way?  First, you take away the coach they seemed to all love and have a long relationship with. Second, you don't give any real explanation about why this happened. (Legal issues or not they deserve an explanation).  Third,  you have an explosive meeting where you basically tell them their opinions don't matter and afterward you expect everyone to accept it and be happy about it.   

Handling situations like this causes people to draw assumptions and place blame.   A few of the parents I know are already talking about kids transferring to different schools. These situations have happened at a few other local schools in recent years and the outcome wasn't much different.   Typically, administration wants to show that they are in charge and parents feel like they should have a say in what happens with their kids.   

9 hours ago, TwhscoachT said:

No that is Fact unless its 6 or 7 years out. Wise Central has basically built a SWVA All team for the next 5 years.

Going a Step further, I saw Richlands girls play. They will be the most competitive in 2 years when everyone matures. Based on what they presented last year along with their JV, they are at best the 4th best team in the M7. Firmly behind WC/RV and fighting GC. They can beat Union and Lee.

“That’s why we play the game.”