Scrimmage Results

Spartan winger

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Mt. Airy is as advertised. They made RV look average. And we all know they are not average. Kid straight up jumped over a CB on the way to the endzone. They’re legit. 

Beavers did have a nice TD catch. 

It would have been nice to see RV first team play more than one offensive and defensive series against them.  

54 minutes ago, Jollay, living rent free said:

GW looked a lot  better against narrows than against mt airy! My count 4-2 GW starters vs narrows! Mt airy is legit 

Mt airy is a tough match up 

19 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Do they have another Peoples in the backfield!?

I wasn’t there. Golf supersedes preseason football. Actually, golf supersedes any football but I will finish up in time to be at the regular season games. 

It was likely Tedruhn or Tyreek Tucker. They are Keeton Beeman’s brothers. Pretty stout young guys. It could have also been Tommy Jones but he is a freshman and a bit smaller than the Tuckers at the moment. 

Edit: My daughter just told me Tedruhn is Keaton’s brother. Tyreek is their cousin. 

Appomattox vs LCA Scrimmage Watched From NFHS.  I couldn't get off work in time to go to Wytheville.

Complete domination by Appomattox.  It's really that simple.  They took LCA to the dang woodshed, offensively, defensively, offensive line, defensive line, etc.  Alarming for me to see Appomattox look that good.  The Lawing kid that graduated after starting 4 years at QB and a team leader who was really, really, good and what do they replace at QB?  I think this guy is better.  He's smooth and throws the ball right on the money.  I don't know what LCA returns or lost or this or that, but I know what I saw.  The team in White representing LCA got face punched by the team in Dark Blue representing Appomattox. 

Post Edited as Richlands Alum Pointed Out Down Below, this was Liberty High, not LCA.  Huge difference and makes sense to me now.  That was a beatdown.

2 hours ago, Ryan4VT said:

Mt. Airy is as advertised. They made RV look average. And we all know they are not average. Kid straight up jumped over a CB on the way to the endzone. They’re legit. 

Beavers did have a nice TD catch. 

That hurdle was beautiful. One of the prettiest high school football plays I've seen in person in a while.

I wasn't upset after our scrimmage against Mt. Airy. I knew we were well out-classed coming in, but Mt. Airy was even better than I had thought. 

Ridgeview's QB is that dude. I was very impressed with him. Beavers looks sharp too.

The WR from Narrows looks like a special player as well. 

The best thing about the night is that there didn't appear to be any significant injuries and seeing those lights turn on later in the evening. Football is back!

27 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Appomattox vs LCA Scrimmage Watched From NFHS.  I couldn't get off work in time to go to Wytheville.

Complete domination by Appomattox.  It's really that simple.  They took LCA to the dang woodshed, offensively, defensively, offensive line, defensive line, etc.  Alarming for me to see Appomattox look that good.  The Lawing kid that graduated after starting 4 years at QB and a team leader who was really, really, good and what do they replace at QB?  I think this guy is better.  He's smooth and throws the ball right on the money.  I don't know what LCA returns or lost or this or that, but I know what I saw.  The team in White representing LCA got face punched by the team in Dark Blue representing Appomattox. 

That was Liberty, not LCA.  And the Minutemen have a first-time coach who just took the reins a couple of weeks ago.

Details are kind of important sometimes.

Tazewell vs Radford.  A scrimmage where it was obvious coaches are working on specific items.  Tazewell's run game is still and unknown.  They ran it very little, so I have no idea how well the OL has improved in run blocking.  The protected the passer pretty well.  Radford surprised me a bit.  Marcell Baylor, the VT commit at athlete/defensive back is evidently not going to be their QB this year.  It was obvious Radford was trying to break in this QB because Radford was much more pass oriented in this scrimmage than what they usually are, and the QB they have can sling it.  The first TD pass of the game was to Marcell Baylor who was lined up at Wide Receiver.  Baylor didn't play much after the first series and was very limited on defense, as Harris was for Tazewell on offense.  The two Div 1 players didn't play much.

Radford looked very solid, but compared to how Appo looked, well, Appo looked a whole lot better to me.

20 minutes ago, gwloyal said:

That hurdle was beautiful. One of the prettiest high school football plays I've seen in person in a while.

I wasn't upset after our scrimmage against Mt. Airy. I knew we were well out-classed coming in, but Mt. Airy was even better than I had thought. 

Ridgeview's QB is that dude. I was very impressed with him. Beavers looks sharp too.

The WR from Narrows looks like a special player as well. 

The best thing about the night is that there didn't appear to be any significant injuries and seeing those lights turn on later in the evening. Football is back!

I think I seen 1 player from Ridgeview hurt his shoulder, hopefully nothing serious but he did take his pads off for the remainder of the day. But with having 10 teams there I was very surprised there weren’t more injuries. It was a good day of football. 

2 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

That was Liberty, not LCA.  And the Minutemen have a first-time coach who just took the reins a couple of weeks ago.

Details are kind of important sometimes.

Details are important all the time.  I thought it was LCA.  That's what I read.  Anyway, then no surprise.  Because......that would have been a 45-0 type game.

1 minute ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Details are important all the time.  I thought it was LCA.  That's what I read.  Anyway, then no surprise.  Because......that would have been a 45-0 type game.

Just busting your chops, friend.  It's probably hard (if not impossible) to tell from NFHS.

I probably shouldn't say too much about LHS, as my own son decided to pass on football this year.

2 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I think I seen 1 player from Ridgeview hurt his shoulder, hopefully nothing serious but he did take his pads off for the remainder of the day. But with having 10 teams there I was very surprised there weren’t more injuries. It was a good day of football. 

Thanks! I didn't catch that. Hopefully it's nothing major, and that's all we see from any of the 10 teams

2 minutes ago, RichlandsAlum said:

Just busting your chops, friend.  It's probably hard (if not impossible) to tell from NFHS.

I probably shouldn't say too much about LHS, as my own son decided to pass on football this year.

It's all good man.  No offense to Liberty, but huge difference in them and LCA, and big difference in LCA and 95% plus percent of every other Class 2 and 3 teams, so me calling them LCA needed a correction.  I had no idea until you pointed it out.

Appomattox is fast, but one concern on them.  They are not terribly big.  Average size to very slightly undersized on the LOS, but great technique.  The QB for Appo is going to be a High School Superstar.  Smooth and cool as the other side of the pillow.

I read on here where Mt. Airy played one on one with Beavers and he got a TD pass.  Mt. Airy, what you all saw in Wytheville has been Mt. Airy for decades.  They are legit every year, but the Bluefield Beavers have some athletes as well as Graham, and I watched both of them try to single him in coverage, and I don't care if he's playing Hampton High, one on one with him will get the defender in a beatable situation more often than not.  He's one of the most underrated players in Virginia in my opinion by the recruiting services and I don't need to see the rest of the players to know.  Having watched hundreds of WR's in SWVA and Central VA over the years, I know he's one of the better ones I've seen.  

Graham vs Gate City-

Gate City doesn't appear to be better to me regarding talent level.  They are not very big and haven't been very big on the LOS for a while, but the effects of Houseright are already noticeable.  They are just better coached, so their level of play and competitiveness is better than 2 years ago and better than 1 year ago in my opinion.  Technique, route running, blocking all improved (not to the point of winning of the M7) but improved.  GC is two years away from when their 9th grade class (8th graders last year) become juniors.  Scary good 9th grade class.

Graham-going to be difficult for any team to move the ball on them with their 10 game regular season schedule.  Very fast, big, physical.  Isabelle at LB is major D1 in my opinion.  Betcha a million he has major offers by the start to middle of his junior year.  He's frightening looking for a sophomore linebacker, moves well, still learning to get off blocks, and is just special.  It's clearly noticeable.   Offensively, learning to replace the star QB and WR is clearly what they are trying to adjust to and find identity at those spots.

12 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I read on here where Mt. Airy played one on one with Beavers and he got a TD pass.  Mt. Airy, what you all saw in Wytheville has been Mt. Airy for decades.  They are legit every year, but the Bluefield Beavers have some athletes as well as Graham, and I watched both of them try to single him in coverage, and I don't care if he's playing Hampton High, one on one with him will get the defender in a beatable situation more often than not.  He's one of the most underrated players in Virginia in my opinion by the recruiting services and I don't need to see the rest of the players to know.  Having watched hundreds of WR's in SWVA and Central VA over the years, I know he's one of the better ones I've seen.  

You'll get no argument from me here. What I saw tonight, I believe every word of this. He got a couple of releases against Galax that he could have ran back to Dickenson Co untouched

A Mt. Airy fan sat next to me during the GW/MA segment, and we talked a great deal. He made his way back during the MA/RV session. When that TD connection was made, he muttered "Woah..." 

He later told me that when they heard about the RV passing game, they were very confident. They feel like their DB's are one of the strengths of their team. He raved about that throw and catch because "no one has done that to us in a long time....but that was REALLY awesome!" 

Just finished watching Graham vs. Gate City.  It appeared that in varsity action Graham out-scored Gate City 2 td's to 0.  In JV, Gate City outscored Graham 1 TD to 0.  

Graham's defense is definitely ahead of the offense.  Gate City managed a few gainers, but more often then not, they were stopped in the backfield and the QB was whistled down a lot on the passing plays (They wouldn't let the QB's get hit).  Gate City's JV moved the ball well against Graham's JV.  Clements scored 2 long TD's for Graham.  It looked like Isabelle got quite a few carries in the scrimmage.  I couldn't tell who was on the D-Line for Graham, they were wearing different #'s then what I am used to.  Roberts was good, when he was in (didn't play him a bunch), I guess they are trying to get others ready.  # 64 looked good and # 11 also # 23 played well on the D - Line.  # 69 must be the kid from Texas, he got a good push on the line when he was in there.  He will be good to come in on 3rd and short or just to spell some of the others.  Clements only carried the ball 3 or 4 times and had the 2 td's.  Like everybody else, they are a work in progress.  The passing game did not look good for Graham, they need to work on that big time. 

19 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Graham vs Gate City-

Gate City doesn't appear to be better to me regarding talent level.  They are not very big and haven't been very big on the LOS for a while, but the effects of Houseright are already noticeable.  They are just better coached, so their level of play and competitiveness is better than 2 years ago and better than 1 year ago in my opinion.  Technique, route running, blocking all improved (not to the point of winning of the M7) but improved.  GC is two years away from when their 9th grade class (8th graders last year) become juniors.  Scary good 9th grade class.

Graham-going to be difficult for any team to move the ball on them with their 10 game regular season schedule.  Very fast, big, physical.  Isabelle at LB is major D1 in my opinion.  Betcha a million he has major offers by the start to middle of his junior year.  He's frightening looking for a sophomore linebacker, moves well, still learning to get off blocks, and is just special.  It's clearly noticeable.   Offensively, learning to replace the star QB and WR is clearly what they are trying to adjust to and find identity at those spots.

Agree with your assessment.  I agree with what you said about Isabelle.  Graham looks like they may have a nasty defense again this season.  They have size and strength up front, smart linebackers with good size and strength and a fast and talented secondary.  They also have a little bit of depth on that D-Line.  The running game should be solid.  The QB play and passing game will be the key to their success.  If that develops and comes along, they could make another run.

6 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:The passing game did not look good for Graham, they need to work on that big time. 

Yes! Passing game is going to need major work. Hopefully, that comes along quickly. Defense is definitely further along than offense but it offense starts clicking, Graham could make deep run. 

11 hours ago, sixcat said:

They never are in the preseason. They use it to find backups. 

You're correct sir, they rarely show much in a scrimmage so I was surprised that they even scored on Ridgeview. With that being said Ridgeview also showed them that they have plenty to work on if they want to make another run.

11 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Post Edited as Richlands Alum Pointed Out Down Below, this was Liberty High, not LCA.  Huge difference and makes sense to me now.  That was a beatdown.

I watched that one too. Appomattox was good in every facet of the game. I would not want to run into them