Tazewell at Chilhowie Benefit game

THS6805

2 hours ago, THS6805 said:

Thoughts? What have seen so far from both teams?

It's hard to judge what Tazewell has based on their scrimmage with Radford.  Creasy was able to make some plays with his feet and find receivers, but there were a lot of dropped passes because he was mainly throwing to backups.  I don't like the read option that they run with Creasy.  I think they just need to drop him back and let him make plays.  Running him is too risky, the backup is a freshman and I'm sure he will be a quality qb when his time comes, but their offense is built around the pass and cannot afford to have Creasy out for any amount of time.  The defense looked confused at times and out of position (new players on the field).  I think the benefit game will be a bit more telling for the dogs.  The bulldogs have a lot of new face and some  inexperience, having 54 out is a positive sign, however a lot of those 54 are freshmen and upper classmen who have not played football.  They have a good nucleus of skill players, but the line play will be key.  

Regarding the benefity game??  I expect to see Tazewell come out on top, but it may be close then some expect.  Tazewell has some work to do.

11 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

It's hard to judge what Tazewell has based on their scrimmage with Radford.  Creasy was able to make some plays with his feet and find receivers, but there were a lot of dropped passes because he was mainly throwing to backups.  I don't like the read option that they run with Creasy.  I think they just need to drop him back and let him make plays.  Running him is too risky, the backup is a freshman and I'm sure he will be a quality qb when his time comes, but their offense is built around the pass and cannot afford to have Creasy out for any amount of time.  The defense looked confused at times and out of position (new players on the field).  I think the benefit game will be a bit more telling for the dogs.  The bulldogs have a lot of new face and some  inexperience, having 54 out is a positive sign, however a lot of those 54 are freshmen and upper classmen who have not played football.  They have a good nucleus of skill players, but the line play will be key.  

Regarding the benefity game??  I expect to see Tazewell come out on top, but it may be close then some expect.  Tazewell has some work to do.

Who is the backup QB this year?

13 hours ago, SpillBoss said:

Defense will be better, especially the run defense. Worked on depth and trying kids at different positions at Radford. Should be fun to watch this year.

Radford literally could not run on Tazewell, and some plays were almost comical at how much Tazewell manhandled their line.  And Radford’s line ain’t bad.  Hard to make any definitive statements from a one-off scrimmage, but it can be safely said that the line is significantly improved.  I’m excited for tomorrow night for a whole host of reasons.

Honestly 3 years ago this would have been a much better match up. Tazewell was starting to build back up from a rough few year and Chilhowie was coming off back to back state runner up finishes. It would have been great for both teams. Tazewell gets to play a team that was coming off 2 great seasons but still had plenty coming back to make another deep play off run. Chilhowie gets to face a bigger 2A school to get their kids ready for the physicality of Marion the next week.  Now Tazewell seems to be rolling with high numbers and big expectations. Chilhowie is lacking in size and team speed that they have hung their hat on in the past. It is very hard to walk in to Chilhowie and leave with a win I am convinced that they have some kind of old Indian curse on opposing team that come in there but I dont think the voodoo works for benefit games. Tazewell should do well and be building depth by the second quarter IMO. I just hope Tazewell doesnt get the big head and stays focused on their goals for the season and Chilhowie and Tazewell can get out of there injury free. 

2 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Radford literally could not run on Tazewell, and some plays were almost comical at how much Tazewell manhandled their line.  And Radford’s line ain’t bad.  Hard to make any definitive statements from a one-off scrimmage, but it can be safely said that the line is significantly improved.  I’m excited for tomorrow night for a whole host of reasons.

if you look at the first two series of first teams vs first teams.  Radford's first run was 5 yards and second run was 10 yards to the goalline.  Radford QB was held short of the goalline on a run to the outside and then the RB was held short before scoring on the next play.  Tazwell really never got a hand on our QB even though he was flushed out of the pocket.   On the flip side, Tazwell's first run was for -1 yard.  Second was for 2 yards.  QB kept for no gain and then was sacked on the last play.  I wouldn't say Tazwell manhandled Radford at the line of scrimmage.  And not really on the second and third teams either.  the line might be improved but IMO didn't manhandle the Radford line.  

32 minutes ago, RadCat said:

if you look at the first two series of first teams vs first teams.  Radford's first run was 5 yards and second run was 10 yards to the goalline.  Radford QB was held short of the goalline on a run to the outside and then the RB was held short before scoring on the next play.  Tazwell really never got a hand on our QB even though he was flushed out of the pocket.   On the flip side, Tazwell's first run was for -1 yard.  Second was for 2 yards.  QB kept for no gain and then was sacked on the last play.  I wouldn't say Tazwell manhandled Radford at the line of scrimmage.  And not really on the second and third teams either.  the line might be improved but IMO didn't manhandle the Radford line.  

OK, if you want to get super technical, Radford had a couple of runs that weren’t net negative plays.  But they were few and far between.  It’s not a coincidence that 0 of Radford’s points came on running plays.  Radford’s scores were the result of poor communication and execution in the secondary coupled with your D1 prospect.  That’s the gist of what I’m saying here.

I have the film that shows Jashon Taylor, a freshman, pancaking and driving your LG into the turf.  And I have the film that shows Tazewell’s 4-man front gobbling up your RB on a simple draw play.  The O-Line performed respectably in pass protection, too.  They gave Creasy more than enough time to make his reads.  Not Creasy’s best performance, but he’s a sophomore going against a team that should be playing past the first weekend of the playoffs.

With what I do on Friday nights, I watch film during the week to prepare.  If I could upload the clips here, I would.  🤷

10 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

OK, if you want to get super technical, Radford had a couple of runs that weren’t net negative plays.  But they were few and far between.  It’s not a coincidence that 0 of Radford’s points came on running plays.  Radford’s scores were the result of poor communication and execution in the secondary coupled with your D1 prospect.  That’s the gist of what I’m saying here.

I have the film that shows Jashon Taylor, a freshman, pancaking and driving your LG into the turf.  And I have the film that shows Tazewell’s 4-man front gobbling up your RB on a simple draw play.  The O-Line performed respectably in pass protection, too.  They gave Creasy more than enough time to make his reads.  Not Creasy’s best performance, but he’s a sophomore going against a team that should be playing past the first weekend of the playoffs.

With what I do on Friday nights, I watch film during the week to prepare.  If I could upload the clips here, I would.  🤷

Look, There is no point going tit for tat on this.  the original post made it sound like Radford's line was terrible which wasn't what I saw nor what the video or stats showed.  Tazwell has some good players and isn't a bad team.  I thought it was misleading to say Radford's line got manhandled when you look at the first team play.

If Tazewell has a good showing, "everyone played great!" It they have a bad showing, "we were resting our guys!" If okay showing, "we were working on some things!"

Scrimmage outcomes mean slightly more than 7v7's.

With what I do, I study posts on this forum to make remarks and laugh...its okay. #WeAreAllCoachSaban 😆

No way to tell in a scrimmage, especially the first one.  The second scrimmage (the one before the first game) shows a bit more, but in those first scrimmages, you can't tell from play to play who is in the game regarding starters.  The RB and TE and LT may be backups, and the QB, Center and Guards starters.  Just no way to know as kids are shuffling in and out.  I think the first scrimmages are good at evaluating individual talent such as.....Baylor from Radford is obviously the real deal.  It didn't take but a few plays of him playing to see that.  Same for the Tazewell QB.  Same for Ratcliffe at Giles.  Same for Clements at Graham against GC (who by the way, isn't 140 lbs anymore).  He's looking 160ish now.  Lots of muscle weight added to him.  Second or final scrimmage (the one before the first official game of the season) tells more, but even in these, play selection offensively and flow of that selection will not be what it is for the regular season.  An exception to that would be Giles.  Play selection and theme and flow aren't going to be much different.

I think the dawgs have some things to work on, they need to tighten up on the defense a little bit and work on wrapping up. Seen several missed tackles that were terrible. Other than that, the dawgs are on the right path! Can’t wait to see the dogs have a great year!