Strength and conditioning

tornado99

1 hour ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Thought it was worth following up that “we” in this post are just my buddies and I observing from the stands… 😂

I'll 2nd this. Whether it's an illusion or not, Union looks much quicker than last year. I noticed that at the Betsy scrimmage before I knew anything about the "feed the cats" system.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

In all seriousness, Galax developed the "Breakfast Club" more than a decade ago. The kids show up at 6:30 every morning for weight lifting, film study, walk-throughs, etc. Whatever is needed on any given day. It's pretty much a year-round thing too. The cafeteria staff feeds them breakfast afterward. It has proven to be vital to maintaining the strength and conditioning from top to bottom in the program. The older kids pass the tradition down to the younger kids that look up to them. The kids work together to make sure everyone has transportation. There is something about seeing a senior pick up an 8th grader to drive him to the school at 6:15 every morning. 

I dropped my son off at 6am Monday through Friday year round at the school until he got a driver license and started driving himself. Not only have the players bought into the breakfast club but the parents of the younger kids have bought in as well to get up and get the kids up there on a year round basis. And like you said I know a lot of the older kid's have took the time to pick up the younger ones as well. I know one young man that graduated a couple of years ago always had a car load when he arrived. Truthfully the whole community has bought in and supported the team. Not only has this helped them as a team but it has helped prepare them for life as well, they now understand a little more what it's like to get up early and go  put in the work that it takes to be successful in life. I get up at 4:50 every morning to go workout and my son who graduated last year still gets up and beats me there to get his day started before he goes to work or drive to college on the days he has classes. So to me Coach Dixon started this for football but he taught many life lessons in the process and Coach Allen has done a great job of keeping it going.

12 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

I dropped my son off at 6am Monday through Friday year round at the school until he got a driver license and started driving himself. Not only have the players bought into the breakfast club but the parents of the younger kids have bought in as well to get up and get the kids up there on a year round basis. And like you said I know a lot of the older kid's have took the time to pick up the younger ones as well. I know one young man that graduated a couple of years ago always had a car load when he arrived. Truthfully the whole community has bought in and supported the team. Not only has this helped them as a team but it has helped prepare them for life as well, they now understand a little more what it's like to get up early and go  put in the work that it takes to be successful in life. I get up at 4:50 every morning to go workout and my son who graduated last year still gets up and beats me there to get his day started before he goes to work or drive to college on the days he has classes. So to me Coach Dixon started this for football but he taught many life lessons in the process and Coach Allen has done a great job of keeping it going.

I saw it first-hand last school year dropping my daughter off every morning at 6:30 for the van ride to Governor School in Dublin. Those kids were there putting in the work  every morning. She didn't get her drivers license until April so I took her every morning from August until she could drive herself in April. I know the Governor School experience has benefitted her in ways we never anticipated. She has learned that she can accomplish anything if she's willing to put the time, effort and work to achieve her goals. The Breakfast Club teaches the athletes similar life lessons the mathletes learn by pushing themselves in the rigors of a Governor School curriculum. Her class-load is relentless!

Now, I just have to come to terms with her going over 1,000 miles away for college!

25 minutes ago, MT FAN 91 said:

13 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I saw it first-hand last school year dropping my daughter off every morning at 6:30 for the van ride to Governor School in Dublin. Those kids were there putting in the work  every morning. She didn't get her drivers license until April so I took her every morning from August until she could drive herself in April. I know the Governor School experience has benefitted her in ways we never anticipated. She has learned that she can accomplish anything if she's willing to put the time, effort and work to achieve her goals. The Breakfast Club teaches the athletes similar life lessons the mathletes learn by pushing themselves in the rigors of a Governor School curriculum. Her class-load is relentless!

Now, I just have to come to terms with her going over 1,000 miles away for college!

Congratulations to your kids and programs. This old school approach has definitely been effective. On the flip side, to you cat feeders, isn’t the minimum effective dose the opposite of the old school approach? My admittedly brief research led me to believe the mantra is “work smarter, not harder.” Thoughts?

26 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Congratulations to your kids and programs. This old school approach has definitely been effective. On the flip side, to you cat feeders, isn’t the minimum effective dose the opposite of the old school approach? My admittedly brief research led me to believe the mantra is “work smarter, not harder.” Thoughts?

I don't know the ends and outs of any modern training programs out there now, but I can tell that, overall, Union looks faster than last year. I don't know if that came at the expense of being stronger or not. I do know that the kids were very dedicated to the weight room this year, so maybe it's a companion system rather than a replacement.

Sometimes, when you hit a problem from every angle you can, you get better results than if you only use one approach.

Strength and Conditioning programs make more difference than pretty much anything besides god given talent. You can't make a grade D athlete an A plus, but you can make them a C to a B minus maybe. Get a whole team doing it and you're going to be a different team. I could give a ton of examples, but I don't want to start preaching.  I'm glad I got back on here today and found a thread on my favorite topic. lol

22 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

At what age should kids start lifting?

Children can start weight training with free weights, elastic bands, machines as early as 7 or 8 years old.  I've done some of that work with 8U Coach Pitch (baseball) kids.  However, common wisdom doesn't introduce weightlifting proper until age 14 (8th grade).

13 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

At what age should kids start lifting?

What I had done in the past with other peoples kids was 6th to 7th grade start teaching lifts and strengthening shoulder girdles and core so they can handle weight when they get older. 8th grade is usually good for harder lifting. Technique and explosion are more important than weight. The weight will come. People will say you're going to stunt their growth, but my own kids started lifting earlier than that and they are both 6'1" and at 6'2" I'm the tallest person in my family. We generally run 5'9" to 5'11" on both sides of the family. 

3 hours ago, big ugly vol said:

What I had done in the past with other peoples kids was 6th to 7th grade start teaching lifts and strengthening shoulder girdles and core so they can handle weight when they get older. 8th grade is usually good for harder lifting. Technique and explosion are more important than weight. The weight will come. People will say you're going to stunt their growth, but my own kids started lifting earlier than that and they are both 6'1" and at 6'2" I'm the tallest person in my family. We generally run 5'9" to 5'11" on both sides of the family. 

My son started lifting with me around 5th or 6th grade and he is close to 6'2", definitely didn't stunt his growth but we just worked on getting his form correct to begin with and the weight came later.

10 hours ago, big ugly vol said:

So, what is your programming style of choice?

11 hours ago, big ugly vol said:

Strength and Conditioning programs make more difference than pretty much anything besides god given talent. You can't make a grade D athlete an A plus, but you can make them a C to a B minus maybe. Get a whole team doing it and you're going to be a different team. I could give a ton of examples, but I don't want to start preaching.  I'm glad I got back on here today and found a thread on my favorite topic. lol

Agreed.