Strength and conditioning

tornado99

In reading all of the threads, especially those mentioning talent, demographics, and coaching, something rarely mentioned and related to all is that of strength and conditioning. Besides numbers and participation, how much improvement can be attributed to the method and the coach?

For example, Graham has almost always had speed, that is now supplemented via the transfer portal (not throwing stones, Richlands benefited in the past). I’ve noticed the strength of the line and linebackers seems to improved leaps and bounds since Coach Horton’s involvement. Thoughts? I’m particularly interested with programs that have consistently strong lines such as Graham, Union, Galax, etc.

Mike Horton(Big Mike) is just an all around class act period. I've seen kids working out with him from Graham, Bluefield, Tazewell, Mt. View, Princeton, etc. He's got a very contagious great personality. Today more than ever that is what it takes to get kids to come out and play. The Graham kids are very fortunate to have him on the staff.

#1 contributor to a teams success imo is a coach being able to get kids out, #2 is S&C. The weight room makes players bigger/faster/stronger obviously but also cuts down on injuries and increases player confidence like nothing else. The importance of a good S&C coach/program cant be overstated.  When watching games on Friday nights its really obvious who has a strong S&C program and who doesn't. Round 2 of the playoffs is almost always comprised of teams who put the time in during the offseason.

From my understanding, he keeps it simple and fun with powerlifting and encouragement. Nothing complicated or fancy. Is this true? 

Pure analysis, but from my perspective, linemen in the 1990s and early 2000s at Richlands we’re stronger, albeit often shorter. Now, they are taller and leaner. It may be simple genetics, but I wonder how much of it is method of training. 

5 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Galax has always had talent. Even back when the program was a doormat. They didn't take off until Mark Dixon partnered with Duchess Dairy in Rural Retreat to provide the kids with an endless supply of chocolate milk. 

Each of the Scott County Schools need to partner up with Nash Creamery in a similar manner and take advantage of them being in each teams backyard, especially TS.  They have the good stuff.  Almost like drinking a Wendy's Frosty, another item that seems popular on this board.....

12 minutes ago, redtiger said:

#1 contributor to a teams success imo is a coach being able to get kids out, #2 is S&C. The weight room makes players bigger/faster/stronger obviously but also cuts down on injuries and increases player confidence like nothing else. The importance of a good S&C coach/program cant be overstated.  When watching game son Friday nights its really obvious who has a strong S&C program and who doesn't. Round 2 of the playoffs is almost always comprised of teams who put the time in during the offseason.

Its also interesting to see how many programs are utilizing the "Feed that Cats" system now for multiple sports.  Im learning more currently and looking to use it within our softball program.

26 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

Its also interesting to see how many programs are utilizing the "Feed that Cats" system now for multiple sports.  Im learning more currently and looking to use it within our softball program.

What is “Feed that Cats” system?

36 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Galax has always had talent. Even back when the program was a doormat. They didn't take off until Mark Dixon partnered with Duchess Dairy in Rural Retreat to provide the kids with an endless supply of chocolate milk. 

In all seriousness, Galax developed the "Breakfast Club" more than a decade ago. The kids show up at 6:30 every morning for weight lifting, film study, walk-throughs, etc. Whatever is needed on any given day. It's pretty much a year-round thing too. The cafeteria staff feeds them breakfast afterward. It has proven to be vital to maintaining the strength and conditioning from top to bottom in the program. The older kids pass the tradition down to the younger kids that look up to them. The kids work together to make sure everyone has transportation. There is something about seeing a senior pick up an 8th grader to drive him to the school at 6:15 every morning. 

Thats a huge success builder for Galax no doubt.  City schools do have a big advantage over others with more of their student population generally living within a smaller radius of the school than others.  Doesnt mean those positive actions will always happen, but the opportunities are much higher for them to take place.

14 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

What is “Feed that Cats” system?

It was originally a track speed training program.  The theories behind it are being used now for not only improving speed but how people lift and practice.  It has led to less injuries to joints for some basketball programs, while also boosting speed.  

The chocolate milk sounds like a joke but coach Dixon and the coach from Lord Botetot swear by its use after a work out. My kid worked out year around from 8th grade to 12th grade in the mornings except for week of the Fourth and Christmas.  He cannot stand chocolate milk now. Lol 

7 minutes ago, 1inStripes said:

It was originally a track speed training program.  The theories behind it are being used now for not only improving speed but how people lift and practice.  It has led to less injuries to joints for some basketball programs, while also boosting speed.  

Thanks for the explanation. I will research this, especially because I forgot about injury prevention.

26 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

The chocolate milk sounds like a joke but coach Dixon and the coach from Lord Botetot swear by its use after a work out. 

Pretty sure everybody understands it's a real thing. Doesn't make it any less funny. 

26 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

I’m pretty sure Union uses the “feed the cats” system aswell. 

In your opinions, are there measurable improvements in speed with your athletes (not just Union)? 
I was always under the impression that athletes were pretty well born fast, and that strength was the only significantly improbable measure.

3 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

In your opinions, are there measurable improvements in speed with your athletes (not just Union)? 
I was always under the impression that athletes were pretty well born fast, and that strength was the only significantly improbable measure.

Tough to say just because you never know how they would have ended up without that training method. However, I feel we (Union) have noticed a considerable difference in speed and “explosion” in our Skills positions and linebackers. 

1 minute ago, tornado99 said:

When I lived in Roanoke, Cave Spring and Hidden Valley used plyometrics. It really took off in that area when JJ Redick started becoming a household name in the early part of his high school career. The guy teaching it even had a business on Electric Avenue that did nothing but speed and agility training. I think it was called Xcelerated Performance. They specialize in basketball but the football guys were in there all the time too. 

(Added after Googling) Xcelerated Performance is still there. Not sure if it's still owned and operated by the same guy. It looks like they have branched out into all manner of exercise programs.

12 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

The main philosophy of feed the cats is if you get faster you got stronger. If a kids squat max goes up 25lbs that doesnt mean that he got any faster in his flying 10 (which is what they measure) but If another kids runs 0.01 faster on his flying 10 then for sure got faster. Faster=stronger stronger doesnt always mean faster tough. Most of these feed the cat teams do not max squat, bench, cleans, ect. They only care about the speed. 

3 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Tough to say just because you never know how they would have ended up without that training method. However, I feel we (Union) have noticed a considerable difference in speed and “explosion” in our Skills positions and linebackers. 

Good point. Pre-Union, I always remembered Powell Valley having good speed. Keeping up with the Joneses (pun intended) and reading of their relation to the Stonega Stallion just seemed to support my long held belief.

4 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

The main philosophy of feed the cats is if you get faster you got stronger. If a kids squat max goes up 25lbs that doesnt mean that he got any faster in his flying 10 (which is what they measure) but If another kids runs 0.01 faster on his flying 10 then for sure got faster. Faster=stronger stronger doesnt always mean faster tough. Most of these feed the cat teams do not max squat, bench, cleans, ect. They only care about the speed. 

I appreciate the explanation. Without purchasing the book, what does the lifting look like since this is primarily sprinting?  Very interested, especially if the on-field product, or for an old guy injury prevention product yields successful results.

6 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

I appreciate the explanation. Without purchasing the book, what does the lifting look like since this is primarily sprinting?  Very interested, especially if the on-field product, or for an old guy injury prevention product yields successful results.

lifting is a lot more single leg and stability type stuff because very rarely in football do you have both feet in the ground AND two hands on your guy. Its geared more towards explosion and stuff like that. If you want to prevent injury your need to make your body strong in those positions where those injuries occur. 

40 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Thought it was worth following up that “we” in this post are just my buddies and I observing from the stands… 😂

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

In all seriousness, Galax developed the "Breakfast Club" more than a decade ago. The kids show up at 6:30 every morning for weight lifting, film study, walk-throughs, etc. Whatever is needed on any given day. It's pretty much a year-round thing too. The cafeteria staff feeds them breakfast afterward. It has proven to be vital to maintaining the strength and conditioning from top to bottom in the program. The older kids pass the tradition down to the younger kids that look up to them. The kids work together to make sure everyone has transportation. There is something about seeing a senior pick up an 8th grader to drive him to the school at 6:15 every morning. 

That’s why the Maroon Tide will always be at the top.