How big is the difference in Class 1 and Class 2 in Region D?

BandanaVTDavis4321

Some of these scores surprise me.  Patrick Henry stands out with the big win over Lebanon, but PH just getting whipped by Lee High last night, and Lee just isn't very good, period.  Then VH hammering PH, and PH has already beat both Grundy and Lebanon.  Then Holston starting 2-0, than losing to John Battle by about 2 TD's.  It's just crazy to me to think there could be this big of a difference.   I know there is a difference due to numbers, but I think some of this could be nerves or something, when the Class 1 team plays the Class 2 team, it's just a mental thing involved.  I don't know for sure, but I do know the difference in having 250 kids and 500 kids is actually very, very substantial.  Got to give Grundy props for how they played Ridgeview, but at the same time, Grundy did lose close to PH.  

21 hours ago, Wolf1207 said:

Lee high may not be as bad as some are thinking. Didn’t they play with Union for a while before the Bears blew it open?

Im bias but I think they’re being undersold. No doubt Union is the better team but it should have been closer than the final score turned out to be. I think it was a combination of it being the first game of the season, playing at Bullitt Park, and the intimidation factor that Union just carries with them. If they see each other again in the playoffs it’ll be a much more even ball game.

Ridgeview comes to 5 Star Stadium Friday and I think the Generals may hang a bit closer than some expect. They got pressure in the backfield pretty well against PH’s big line, I hope they can recreate that this week and contain O’Quinn so he doesn’t have time to throw or scramble all night. We cover the pass pretty well but we haven’t really played receivers of this caliber. I remember when Lee played at Ridgeview when Beavers was a freshman, he was being guarded hip-to-hip by our best corner and was still making easy catches. I think he had 2 or 3 TDs, and this is when they had Adkins running all over everyone. They’d be state champs 2x over if he was in this years senior class. 

Very, very, very, very wide.

Lee, who is probably a #7 seed at best in 2D, had its way with arguably the best team in 1D.  John Battle, who won’t be attending the playoffs in 2D unless they buy tickets, won by multiple scores over arguably the 3rd best team in 1D.  I’ve said this every year for the last 3, but this is the worst I’ve ever seen 1D.  

No disrespect It just seems like a really bad year for 1D. And you will have that in the small class of 1A football. They are way down and the teams in 2D are pretty solid this year.  

One of 1Ds best team Rural retreat got manhandled 40-0 by a Grayson County team that is probably the 4th best in 1C.

1 hour ago, Wolf1207 said:

It is setting up that 1d may have the most exciting playoffs this year. Near the mid point of the season now and there is no clear favorite. I’d say Patrick Henry or Norton if I had to guess. 

I know Grundy lost to Patrick Henry, but Grundy has been playing some great football since then.

On 9/17/2022 at 2:11 PM, Wolf1207 said:

Lee high may not be as bad as some are thinking. Didn’t they play with Union for a while before the Bears blew it open?

With it being a rivalry and Lee being improved, the game started out with Lee standing toe to toe with Union in the first quarter. Union wore them down and Lee ran out of gas in the 2nd quarter.  

17 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

I know Grundy lost to Patrick Henry, but Grundy has been playing some great football since then.

Grundy beats PH by 14 in a rematch. They are improving and have their identity.

Just now, UVAObserver said:

I tend to agree.

1 hour ago, SwvaOG said:

Grundy beats PH by 14 in a rematch. They are improving and have their identity.

I think maybe people don’t realize that PH is dealing with some injury issues right now 

On 9/19/2022 at 9:37 AM, Tigerman10 said:

I think maybe people don’t realize that PH is dealing with some injury issues right now 

I totally agree. I would take PH's last couple of games with a grain of salt. It's also important to realize, it's all about matchups. Some teams match up better with other teams and vice versa. Example PH out muscled Lebanon, but Lebanon may turn around and play Virginia High closer than PH did due to better match ups skill wise.