Thomas Walker @ Union

UnionGuy2017

He's tough back there.  I personally wouldn't want to be back there with the inconsistency up front.  It still falls on coaches.  He don't play it perfect,  but athleticism he's got.  Maybe the sykes kid would be patient enough to stay in the pocket,  throw and take a hit? Don't think we're gonna find out anytime soon.  With the number of young bodies playing and the veterans not going both ways,  it looks as if staff are looking too far into the future and not the present. This bunch could be eating Thanksgiving after practice if the ship gets straightened out. 

35 minutes ago, Inside_Informer said:

If turner has made any good decision this year it is keeping #10 at QB. Tired of y’all bashing this kid when he is a top player in the district. Yes Sykes has had his moments but I would much rather have 10 running my offense. Y’all are forgetting the fact that the O line is gonna be the same and the Sykes kid will not escape pressure as well as 10 does. Y’all need to start thinking about the other factors of switching  QBs . Throw power, footwork, mobility is all 10 while the Sykes kid has slightly better accuracy but hardly at all. 10 has turned many what should be 10 yd sacks into 10-15yd gains this year.

Who's bashing him he's a great player but not a QB.  If Sykes was QB defenses wouldn't have 11 men on LOS to stop the run either.  And quit liking your own comments there's 3 new Union posters on here that all agree with each other it's obvious you've opened 3 accounts

I don’t see anyone bashing #10, like I said I think he’s one of the most athletic kids in the Mountain 7! Does that mean he is the best option for QB?

I don’t think so, when James Mitchell played QB in the Wildcat when Turner got hurt that year, yes Mitchell was probably the most overall talented kid on the field at any game Union played, but that don’t mean you want him being your starting QB!

To whoever said, until Union shows a little passing game and shows teams they can complete a few and try to keep the defense honest, they will see 11 men in the box, with all 11 coming to stop the run with no worry at all about the passing game, is this #10 fault?? No definitely not, but at some point a few changes have to be made, or you will never make it past Round 1!

Id hate to see the Sykes kid leave, but as a 10th grader, that could start on most teams around here, I can understand the frustration, everybody says “oh he is young, and hasn’t had the experience at the varsity level”, are also the ones seeing 3 and 4 freshman starting as well, and I have no problem with freshman starting if they are 1 of the best 11 on the field!

32 minutes ago, #BBN said:

To whoever said, until Union shows a little passing game and shows teams they can complete a few and try to keep the defense honest, they will see 11 men in the box, with all 11 coming to stop the run with no worry at all about the passing game, is this #10 fault?? No definitely not, but at some point a few changes have to be made, or you will never make it past Round 1!

If you go back and watch Graham game they where literally leaving a receiver uncovered on some plays because they knew Union couldn't throw.  Like we've mentioned its not bashing the kid he's just stuck playing a position he shouldn't be playing and he himself would probably rather be at another position.

5 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Good gravy. I get the feeling we're going to have more mamas on here soon. Lol

Don't worry Turner or someone at the school will have the pnut commisher speak or hand out punishment to these unruly people. 

2 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Union is going to running clock Tommy Walker and Duk the Cook.  Will not be close or competitive. Tommy Walker is 1-4 and no match for one of the top 7 (in my opinion) class 2 teams in the state.  No offense to TW, but this is a complete mismatch.

Don't be shocked if its under 20.  TW very capable of slowing game down to keep it close

Well the experts were right on this 1. 40 to 0 but with that said it should have been much more. Still can't pass the ball well yet. Offensive line looked its best tonite finally had blocking from all 5 of them. Sad part is Satterfield ran the ball 1 time in 1st half and took it to the house. Think he finished with maybe 5 touches. Huff kid ran it 1 time took it to the house. Its was clearly obvious #10 is told who to throw the ball too every time he drops back. Let him read there were times he threw it deep and had other receivers running wide open. Next week up on the ridge will get ugly quick. Especially if union stays the same or goes back to what they had. 18 and 2 are about to get a clinic put on them on running routes. I looked for the pack to have close to 400 yards of passing alone. And ill go ahead and say this could be the worst but whopping union has ever had coming in 7 days. Pack up big next Friday. Also heard that the pack might have some special noise maker for the bears. After last year at the park. Just hearsay for now.

Tommy Walker had some nice uniforms, and a decent game plan problem is the pick six that was called back the QB had his bell rung and never returned. Turner could work at any school and Union is lucky to have him, could we be better on defense, yes with the right coaching. Why is the d- ends in a four point stance ?????but I am no coach but I am not Stevie Wonder either so I can see that that’s just dumb

21 hours ago, goose111874 said:

Don't be shocked if its under 20.  TW very capable of slowing game down to keep it close

Very impressed with the amount of time TW took with their 1st drive. It would have been better if they scored but eating up the whole 1st quarter is pretty unheard of against a strong Union defense.  

On 9/29/2022 at 10:49 PM, Inside_Informer said:

Union will no doubt win this week, but the question is by how much. Union was better than Gate City by at least 3 touchdowns just had mental mistakes with the bad snap and mis communication on the 4th down in the late 4th quarter and had terrible coverage on any pass past 10 yds. D-line struggled at times but for the most part #70 done his job. Need more from #33 and #16 on the defensive side. Would love to see a 5 front with 33 and 16 on the edge and adding 52 at nose guard with 70 and 62 at DT. the two CBs are no good for use. The Bostic kid is for sure the better defender but is also a freshman and has much room for improvement. The senior on the other side has so excuse. On the offensive side you have what should be one of the most talented ones in the region turned into an average offense with 2 below average receivers which once again like defense the freshmen is better but also has room for improvement and the senior just needs to be taken out. would love to see the Cochran kid get some PT on both sides this week against T-dub and see how he does. though he played good in the Elizabethton scrimmage with a couple good break ups at corner. Against Gate City #13 should have had at least 15-20 touches along with QB1 #10 needs to have a chance to drop back and throw to his receivers (which should be #4, #7, and #23) the Bostic kid needs to be out there too some but plays need to be directed to #4, #13, and #10. Another problem Union had against gate city was chewing clock. Union has one of the best "chew clock" formations ever with the T formation. Give the ball to #28 and pound and give it to #13 and #17 every now and then in that formation. #17 does his job with or without the ball and that is what makes him a necessity on both sides of the ball. Turner also needs to trust #10 with the ball and let him be the mobile QB he is. He can drop back when needed but can also take off on any given occasion. Now speaking of the offense, the O-line needs redone almost completely. you have to have #70 in there as a 3-year starter there was no need to pull him off at all this year. #61 has been completely disappointing this year blocking the edge on any type of run or pass. I honestly feel bad for the Anderson kid as he really just runs for his life on most passing plays and honestly gets positive yards most of the time. Thomas Walker might score a pity touchdown with Jv team and probably a passing one against #18 in but should be Union dominating all game. Calling 51-16 Union 

They put 70 in after 60 got injured he snapped the ball in the end zone and we got a safety.

This is also a building year and that's all the coaches are concentrating on.