2D First Round: #6 Lee @ #3 Virginia High

SwvaOG

4 hours ago, generallyspeaking said:

If they had a true QB so they could put Anderson out in the slot or something like that they’d be a lot better off. For all the talent that’s come through Union in the last few years i’m surprised they haven’t had any stud QBs (Mitchell’s senior year doesn’t count lol)

I honestly think the backup QB could be great but he’s not gonna get a shot until he’s a senior if he stays 

He's a sophomore i believe,  how much jv time he get? Hopefully for his sake quiet a few. Surely varsity reps at practice,  but that can't replicate game time experience. Too many other factors you can't produce to get a true feel/ performance.  Good luck to the young man,  sounds like promising talent. 

1 hour ago, thsvikings2004 said:

image.thumb.png.f11fa962c6c4a8d7ad51dc293060f65f.png

That’s good, hopefully I can make that game after watching the Union GC game. It’s not that far on to Emory from GC. Glad there’s one on Saturday night. 

Pretty sure Lee has put up great yards against all the district teams minus Union which they threw the ball decent against our boys and Ridgeview they didn’t do the best but had several drop balls best I can remember. 319 passing against GC about the same against Central 200 or so against Abingdon not sure what you are talking about elefan they only do it against the small schools. I’m all bear but the passing game has been there all season. If Lee can get the run game established to go with the air attack and get some stops on D they can pull off the win. Pendergraft isn’t going to run like Jones and definitely doesn’t have the size but he can sling the ball all over the field if he has time to do so. Union GC game will be the game of the day!!! Go Bears 

I think the run game will be key. I know G Huff is gonna show up big in a playoff game plus the offensive and defensive line have played outstanding the last few weeks. There were a couple plays against abingdon where Pendergraft had like 5+ seconds in the pocket untouched. We have had trouble getting to the LB/DB level with blocks but I don’t see that being an issue this game. 

I think Huff will have a good game also.  Wont break long runs though.  VA High has too much speed.  I think the biggest issue for Lee is do they focus on stopping the QB run or trying to defend the deep ball to Poku over the top.

LPD you sure know specifics on lee’s qb for someone who’s a bear fan ha. Anyway yeah you’re right there, we had good yardage on gc and central. there was a hefty number of attempts at those games but whatever. I’m not putting anyone from lee down. They’re miles ahead of what they were and I’ll give credit where it’s due. But that’s just it, some of our fans want to act like their kids are heisman hopefuls and it gets old. Alls im saying is when we’re getting big yardage (passing AND running) on teams like rv, union, and Graham instead of small or weak teams like PH, rye cove, and battle (while our starters are in almost the entire game) then I’ll also believe that we can pull of the win Saturday. I hope I’m wrong. I want these boys to make me a believer. I’m closer than I was last year, but not all the way there yet. I just want it to be the real thing. Not having to play small teams, running up the score and padding our stats on said small teams, and making up honors so we can brag. 
sorry got on my soapbox ha ha.  
but like I said, I’ll give credit where it’s due and I gotta say that a one kid that has absolutely blew my socks off is early. I can’t believe he’s only a freshman. Roop is another. I don’t think gets the credit he deserves.

Lee will never be on top in M7 they will be like they are they don’t have the kids to compete. nothing wrong with a parent being proud of their kid  in my opinion However,  I work with the kids dad have for years great family.  Lee has some decent athletes are they going to play d1 nope probably not play college ball at all most in the area never do. I know the Early kid from baseball he is an athlete small but has tons of heart don’t know the Roop kid just from watching him play he goes all out. 

6 hours ago, V-Cats said:

Given that this would have been our 3rd home playoff game EVER, I can't believe they would move to a neutral site

Kind of stunned me as well. Especially with a quality facility like VA High has. Sure it could get a beating after the rain expected bit it’s Bermuda and already dormant. It will come back fine around late May. 

2 hours ago, 1inStripes said:

Kind of stunned me as well. Especially with a quality facility like VA High has. Sure it could get a beating after the rain expected bit it’s Bermuda and already dormant. It will come back fine around late May. 

Must be like Union the town has a sniper in press box in case anyone steps on the grass 

On 11/7/2022 at 7:50 PM, UVAObserver said:

Granted they have better, more physical lines, which will make even an average athlete look like a world-beater.  

Take Riverheads, for example.  You put Cayden Cook-Cash in a decathlon with Patrick Poku, and Poku would destroy him.  But Cook-Cash is far more accomplished in terms of games won and statistics.  

What I’m saying, Virginia presents matchup problems that no other opponent in the M7 can replicate.  You let Virginia get a head of steam and they’ll burn you.  From what I’ve seen of Lee (which is admittedly not a ton), I don’t think Lee has the horses to match up with all the weapons Virginia brings.  

I’d be very happy to see Lee win.  You all have endured a generation lost in the wilderness, and I am happy to see signs of Lee finding their way again.  

Beavers is extremely athletic, I'm not sure Poku is that much more athletic than he is in all the measurable numbers.

add in Hill and Counts, the WR units are comparable, but Jones has no equal in the M7 as a QB. Anderson at Union would be closest but he isn't the same caliber as Jones. 

2 minutes ago, UKCAT said:

Is this game still going to be on NFHS? Just trying to find out where it was moved to Emory. 

I’d imagine it being at Emory now it might not be on nfhs but just guessing 

On 11/7/2022 at 6:28 PM, V-Cats said:

Crazy fact: 

Including the pre-1970 championship games, Virginia High has never won a home playoff game. Not one. All their previous playoff wins have come on the road or at neutral sites

The only wins in the modern era: 

1973: Pulaski (played at Radford HS)

1987: at Richlands, at Marion (for the Division 4 Region IV championship)

2004: at Grundy

2013: at Gretna

We've also only hosted two playoff games, both losses: 

2002: Grundy

2017: Marion

Interesting!

9 hours ago, UKCAT said:

Is this game still going to be on NFHS? Just trying to find out where it was moved to Emory. 

9 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

I’d imagine it being at Emory now it might not be on nfhs but just guessing 

26 minutes ago, V-Cats said:

Not sure about NFHS but the Bearcat Radio Network will be covering the game starting around 6:45 

https://spreaker.page.link/kCQU4QdcEdwFptu98

It is indeed on NFHS...

https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/virginia-high-school-bristol-va/gamedb1fff6b3

4 minutes ago, generallyspeaking said:

Just read somewhere that Jones is 6’3 210lbs, I had no idea he was that big. Sure doesn’t look like it on the nfhs camera. Lee might have some trouble solo tackling him if that’s his true size. 

He’s tough! He can get away from defenders and he can sling that ball well. Lee gives him time to throw to Poku, it might be a long game for Lee. Their defensive line is not that strong but Jones can light up the offensive side of the ball. 

Another note on this game:

Out of the 11 current Region 2D teams, VHS and Lee have the least and second-least playoff wins since 2000. 

9. John Battle (3)

10. Virginia High (2)

11. Lee (1)

30 minutes ago, V-Cats said:

Another note on this game:

Out of the 11 current Region 2D teams, VHS and Lee have the least and second-least playoff wins since 2000. 

9. John Battle (3)

10. Virginia High (2)

11. Lee (1)

Ironic enough that the Lee win came @ Appomattox before Appomattox went on their run.