Radford/Appomattox Just for Fun!

Gridiron60

CalPreps has Radford 35-28 winning over Appo. At the beginning of the season a lot of folks were giving Radford, region C . Can Appomattox pull the upset? I mean no disrespect because I’m sure he’s a great guy otherwise but Crist to me is Radford’s Achilles heal. Appomattox has the coaching advantage going into this matchup, hands down. Radford has a very talented slate of players but is talent alone enough to pull them over the top? I see this game as a toss up but I could be wrong. 

In my opinion, Radford is going to have to show a willingness to run the football at some point. Appomattox may very well have the athletes in the defensive backfield to limit Radford's passing attack and force them to commit to a ground game. The question will be, is Crist willing to set aside his ego to win the game or will he continue to pound his head against a cinderblock wall. Thus far in his coaching career, Crist hasn't been willing to change or adjust and Coach Smith is a master of finding other coaches tendencies and weaknesses and exploiting them to his benefit. 

Appomattox 35
Radford 31

27 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Radford got a few "me" players and this will be their downfall....very very talented football team but some selfish players imo

Bingo. See more about Pennix below. I still think it's enough to beat Appomattox this year. Could be wrong though. Radford is actually More athletic this year than Appomattox imo. The lineplays are close to a wash with Radford maybe having a tiny slight edge. Huge Variable......Pennix has a pulled hamstring and it's BAD. Not the kind that heals up in a week from what I'm told and it's more than likely he will not play (just what I was told). 

Pennix. Yep, running backand great back, but huge loss Defensively as it relates to Radford because of Baylor at WR who is a freak. Pennix covers very very well and his loss would be huge for Appo, and for this gsme, it's probably a bigger Defensive loss than his already great value offensively.

3 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

CalPreps has Radford 35-28 winning over Appo. At the beginning of the season a lot of folks were giving Radford, region C . Can Appomattox pull the upset? I mean no disrespect because I’m sure he’s a great guy otherwise but Crist to me is Radford’s Achilles heal. Appomattox has the coaching advantage going into this matchup, hands down. Radford has a very talented slate of players but is talent alone enough to pull them over the top? I see this game as a toss up but I could be wrong. 

Calpreps has one issue that limits it. The inability to account for injuries. Pennix is huge factor.

32 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Radford got a few "me" players and this will be their downfall....very very talented football team but some selfish players imo

This right here. With the talent they have they should be favored to represent the west in Salem. But poor discipline and questionable coaching decisions will likely get them eliminated this week.

34 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

It’s hard to win big games that are tough match ups if you have “me” players. Football ain’t an individual sport say like golf and it takes a well oiled machine so to speak to win big games. 

I think they may have enough to advance this week if pennix isn't playing but glenvar will smack them in the mouth if they play again...will radford fight back or argue with each other/try to do everything theirself(1 or 2 players)?

I think Graham spanks them if they play...I may be wrong though 

23 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

I think they may have enough to advance this week if pennix isn't playing but glenvar will smack them in the mouth if they play again...will radford fight back or argue with each other/try to do everything theirself(1 or 2 players)?

I think Graham spanks them if they play...I may be wrong though 

I wasn’t aware that Pennix is questionable. That’s a huge loss to the Raiders if he can’t compete. 

14 hours ago, SWVAgridiron said:

I wasn’t aware that Pennix is questionable. That’s a huge loss to the Raiders if he can’t compete. 

Sam here. I wasn't aware he would be out. That's at least a 14 point swing and would clearly give Radford the advantage. I still think it will be a close game and Radford struggles to get out of the region.

Unfortunately the injury bug has bitten the Raiders this year.  In years past we have remained relatively healthy throughout the playoffs.  Also lost a young lineman with a knee injury but he has been out for a few weeks now.

In talking with a Radford coach last year he alluded to the fact the 8 was a big ego. 

There is a certain amount of "ego" that goes along with being good.  We had a kid several years back (Javon Scruggs now at LU) who was the perfect blend.  SUPREMELY CONFIDENT in his abilities but prepared and worked like he was the least talented kid on the practice field. When he entered a game his mentality was that he was going to show your alpha who was the true alpha on the field.   He was fun to watch !!

1 hour ago, BoBob said:

Unfortunately the injury bug has bitten the Raiders this year.  In years past we have remained relatively healthy throughout the playoffs.  Also lost a young lineman with a knee injury but he has been out for a few weeks now.

In talking with a Radford coach last year he alluded to the fact the 8 was a big ego. 

There is a certain amount of "ego" that goes along with being good.  We had a kid several years back (Javon Scruggs now at LU) who was the perfect blend.  SUPREMELY CONFIDENT in his abilities but prepared and worked like he was the least talented kid on the practice field. When he entered a game his mentality was that he was going to show your alpha who was the true alpha on the field.   He was fun to watch !!

He's still fun to watch at Liberty. Heck of a player who is about to go up against VT and of course, Rocky Dennis Fuente never offered the kid a scholly. Scruggs was and is a great baller. I think his nickname at Liberty is still "The Alpha or Alpha Wolf." Fuente let Cam Allen and Scruggs play somewhere else when both should have been offered early on at Tech. Same for Ben Cox at Radford. Thanks Fuente!

On 11/15/2022 at 7:30 PM, Real Sasquatch said:

With Pennix out, I would tend to favor Radford in this matchup.  Radford has speed on top of speed, but the lineplay is questionable.  I think Radford gets enough big plays to win it.  34-27

I will be shocked if he doesn't play.  I was told he played after the injury happened but that might not be true.

1 hour ago, RadCat said:

I will be shocked if he doesn't play.  I was told he played after the injury happened but that might not be true.

That might happen, I mean our QB played with a broken leg in the playoffs last year. Some kids are just a different kind of tough. 

2 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

That might happen, I mean our QB played with a broken leg in the playoffs last year. Some kids are just a different kind of tough. 

There is a difference in being tough and being stupid.  As I was telling a good friend of mine last year when I knew about the broken leg before most did, I really hope for their sake that nothing bad happens and he doesn't get messed up for long term or life.  Luckily he did not but there is that possibility.

Radford in a really close game. Would be a really good game to watch if Pennix was playing. Still will be a good game to watch. Really like close games but not when my team is in them and they are out so there’s that.