State Championship

THS6805

On 6/10/2023 at 10:29 PM, Stelley said:

Didn’t matter if they played bad defense when lebanons first two runs of the game were absolute shots to left. And a no hitter also helps…..

Like when the ball rolled past the left fielder? yeh that was bad defense it does matter in a game

14 hours ago, RichRich said:

Like when the ball rolled past the left fielder? yeh that was bad defense it does matter in a game

Lebanon is just a very complete team. You can't make mistakes and beat them. The Pioneers don't best themselves. There is a reason why the Tennessee High coach gave high praise to Lebanon. Lebanon made them earn both wins. I've said it all season, this Lebanon team was going to be hard if not impossible to beat in 1A. Their pitching was too deep and they were good at all phases of the game. They also had speedy base runners that are usually going to score of they get on. 1A defenses couldn't keep players such as Hertig from scoring. He stole over 37 bases and scored over 40 runs for a reason this season. They just have a dominant program. 

8 hours ago, Stelley said:

Zach hertig is quite possibly the fastest kid in swva so I’m pretty sure he would have scored from first on a ball hit to the wall anyways

I absolutely agree. If Hertig gets on, he usually scores. Defenses in 1A couldn't react quick enough to his base running ability. Lebanon had a few guys like that, who maybe weren't as quick as Hertig but were able to consistently steal bases and keep pressure on the defense. If you make mistakes against Lebanon they made you pay. They were not beating themselves. 

Lebanon was probably the best team last year as well, but losing to Chilhowie cost them dearly. Had they won that game they most likely would have avoided Grayson county's nc state pitching commit, which would have given them a great shot at winning the while thing, but you live and learn. That loss made them hungry this season and they played like it every game. 

On 6/10/2023 at 9:02 PM, RichRich said:

Been a lot closer game if not for first inning.  Auburn looked awful on defense.  4 guys standing around watching a ball drop was just one of the things.  Leb looked good made some awesome defensive plays

It wouldn't have mattered, Auburn was over matched. Lebanon could have thrown any of top 3 pitchers and would have got similar results. Auburn may have got a run with the 2 other guys. When you outscore your post season opponents. 80 something  to 5, it shows that you are just on another level then everyone, nobody was beating that team in 1A. They would have had a shot in 2A as well most likely.  

1 hour ago, Pioneer said:

It wouldn't have mattered, Auburn was over matched. Lebanon could have thrown any of top 3 pitchers and would have got similar results. Auburn may have got a run with the 2 other guys. When you outscore your post season opponents. 80 something  to 5, it shows that you are just on another level then everyone, nobody was beating that team in 1A. They would have had a shot in 2A as well most likely.  

yeah playing in 1A def was a plus!!!!   I do believe that they would have won 2A as well and would have competed in 3A!!!   

Also heard that last week during the all region meeting for 3d coach Francisco said in the meeting “we might have been the only one to play a 1a team but I’m pretty sure they’d whoop yalls ass as well.”

7 hours ago, Pioneer said:

It still would have been a lot closer if Auburns defense didn't look like a sub par little league team in the first.  Not sure where the butt  hurt is coming from over that fact.   

Auburn has a roster comprised of only two seniors and nine freshman/sophomores. It's understandable they would be nervous out of the gate in a state championship game. They are incredibly young and will learn a lot from this experience. 

3 hours ago, RichRich said:

It still would have been a lot closer if Auburns defense didn't look like a sub par little league team in the first.  Not sure where the butt  hurt is coming from over that fact.   

Again "if"....Nobody was beating or coming close to beating the Pioneers,  and that's a fact.  

Also Lebanon has made a lot of teams defenses look like a sub par little league teams the past few seasons. Auburn wasn't the first to look like that and won't be the last. 

4 hours ago, Pioneer said:

Also Lebanon has made a lot of teams defenses look like a sub par little league teams the past few seasons. Auburn wasn't the first to look like that and won't be the last. 

I think dropping routine fly balls was more on auburn.  Those should have been made at that level.  So you saying the game wouldnt not have been closer if not for the first inning?

1 minute ago, RichRich said:

I think dropping routine fly balls was more on auburn.  Those should have been made at that level.  So you saying the game wouldnt not have been closer if not for the first inning?

Lebanon still had 5 earned runs. That’s 5 more runs than auburn even had hits.

8 hours ago, RichRich said:

I don't care how you are trying to spin it, whether it was the 1st inning or later in the game, Lebanon was going to have an inning like that. That team had innings all year where they'd end the game. For Auburn, Lebanon knocked them out in the 1st. Dropping fly balls is part of the game.  One team made mistakes the other didn't and capitalized off of them. That's what championship teams do. 

8 hours ago, RichRich said:

Did Auburn commit some errors that should have been outs in the first or not?  I watched the game in person

Committing errors is part of baseball. One team made mistakes, the other team didn't, and capitalized off of those opportunities. That is what Champions do. That's what made this Pioneers team so good. They never beat themselves and when other teams made mistakes, they capitalized off of them. That's why they would make "close" games blowouts. That's why they practically ended Auburns hopes of winning in the 1st inning. 

5 hours ago, Pioneer said:

I don't care how you are trying to spin it, whether it was the 1st inning or later in the game, Lebanon was going to have an inning like that. That team had innings all year where they'd end the game. For Auburn, Lebanon knocked them out in the 1st. Dropping fly balls is part of the game.  One team made mistakes the other didn't and capitalized off of them. That's what championship teams do. 

What part of my comment was wrong?  Why are you crying about this?  If not for that first inning the game would have been closer the score board even agrees.  

5 hours ago, Pioneer said:

Committing errors is part of baseball. One team made mistakes, the other team didn't, and capitalized off of those opportunities. That is what Champions do. That's what made this Pioneers team so good. They never beat themselves and when other teams made mistakes, they capitalized off of them. That's why they would make "close" games blowouts. That's why they practically ended Auburns hopes of winning in the 1st inning. 

Yes committing errors is part of the game why are you crying over my comment?  Is this your first yr watching baseball?

What part of my comment was wrong?  Why are you crying about this?  If not for that first inning the game would have been closer the score board even agrees.  

Score would still be 5-0

What year is the Hertig? I know he had a brother on the 2021 team. Just curious if he will be back.

Lebanon will be right back on top of the SWD next year IMO 

Also if we are making excuses why Auburn lost they could have been looking forward to football season but we all know that is false..

that’s the problem with all the travel ball that’s played now and only playing one sport. I bet that game meant a lot more to Lebanon that Auburn because they have some school pride and not a tournament to run off to next weekend 

38 minutes ago, Jags52 said:

What year is the Hertig? I know he had a brother on the 2021 team. Just curious if he will be back.

Also if we are making excuses why Auburn lost they could have been looking forward to football season but we all know that is false..

that’s the problem with all the travel ball that’s played now and only playing one sport. I bet that game meant a lot more to Lebanon that Auburn because they have some school pride and not a tournament to run off to next weekend 

It was a sea of red at Salem memorial and a puddle of blue on Saturday. Hertig Crabtree Belcher and Buchanan all graduate but will return key players in barton, Phillips, breeding, Garrett, parker, and Hess. My guess is that next year Barton will get swd player of the year and the whole team will contend with battle for the region championship 

2 hours ago, Jags52 said:

Why are you making excuses for them Leabanon laid it to them? Auburn just awful in the first 

48 minutes ago, RichRich said:

I'm not sure you understand the difference between closer and different outcome

My question is why you are so worried about the game being closer? Fact is, it was never close. Auburn made errors and Lebanon capitalized, end of story. You can keep going with the what ifs all day long but it doesn't change anything.