Richlands @ Union

UnionGuy2017

37 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I'm cautiously optimistic, but this is what I'm seeing as well. Watching scrimmages/jamborees/benefit games over all these years, I'm seeing a very good team this year. Quiet confidence and a little swagger.

Also, young! Starting 5-6 sophomores( 2, 4, 7, 11, 24, 60 , 71) on each side of the ball depending on formation.

O-Line is young in experience. If they come along, the Bears have the potential to be dangerous come November.

Don’t forget #28

40 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

I'm cautiously optimistic, but this is what I'm seeing as well. Watching scrimmages/jamborees/benefit games over all these years, I'm seeing a very good team this year. Quiet confidence and a little swagger.

Also, young! Starting 5-6 sophomores( 2, 4, 7, 11, 24, 60 , 71) on each side of the ball depending on formation.

O-Line is young in experience. If they come along, the Bears have the potential to be dangerous come November.

I really figure region D will be a dogfight no matter which two teams end up in the championship. If it’s Union & Graham I’m sure it will be some good ole smash mouth football. I like it when the younger ones develop throughout the season and become key contributors. I hope all of our SWVA boys from all the teams stay healthy. 🤞

24 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Agree but I think the next 2 seasons will be the years to contend for a title, still too young now imo.  Also gonna have to find a kicker because from what I saw Friday the special teams is gonna be a problem 

I’m not giving up hope this year. Let’s say for conversation sake Graham is 7 points better than Union. That’s a very small gap that can be swung in either favor depending on injury’s and 2-3 plays throughout the game. 

From what I’ve seen so far, Union is working hard developing their JV QB and I think he’s looked pretty good. If he continues to develop, here we come for 24 and 25. 

26 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Agree but I think the next 2 seasons will be the years to contend for a title, still too young now imo.  Also gonna have to find a kicker because from what I saw Friday the special teams is gonna be a problem 

Outside of a season here or there, when hasn't special teams been a problem. Lol

You'd think there would be at least one kid in that HS that could kick an XP. Sheesh.

9 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

Outside of a season here or there, when hasn't special teams been a problem. Lol

You'd think there would be at least one kid in that HS that could kick an XP. Sheesh.

Recruit someone from the soccer team??? Maybe they have tried…just a thought. 

19 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

I’m not giving up hope this year. Let’s say for conversation sake Graham is 7 points better than Union. That’s a very small gap that can be swung in either favor depending on injury’s and 2-3 plays throughout the game. 

From what I’ve seen so far, Union is working hard developing their JV QB and I think he’s looked pretty good. If he continues to develop, here we come for 24 and 25. 

The middle school Qb Potter is very sharp as well. The numbers are through the roof. The future for the program at UHS is very bright.

23 minutes ago, Union_Fan said:

True!!  After seeing it vs Lee though we may be better kicking onside kicks everytime.  That’s if we can find anyone who can kick 10 yards lol!!!

28 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Agree not giving up hope this season either just realistically think it’d be hard to win this season starting 6 sophomores.  Kinda like the old saying you need to get a ass whooping before delivering one 

So far, I'm still sticking to my 8-4 season prediction for the Bears. The future looks very bright with a great sophomore and freshman class; but I think they're probably a year or two away from regional or state title contention.

With that stated, I do think it will be a very exciting and entertaining year for Union football fans! I saw a team roster that had Keith Chandler listed as 5'10" 230 lbs. That's a big kid for running back; but he has surprising speed. When you pair him with two other linebackers both experienced and listed as 200 pounds plus, that could easily end up being the main strength of the team - instead of the talented receiving corp. Also the three Anderson brothers played really well against Lee High.

Weaknesses are obviously overall youth, inexperienced offensive line, and kicking/special teams. A formidable M7 schedule with Science Hill and away games at Graham and Abingdon makes me believe 8-4 is about right.   

1 hour ago, FBDevotee said:

So far, I'm still sticking to my 8-4 season prediction for the Bears. The future looks very bright with a great sophomore and freshman class; but I think they're probably a year or two away from regional or state title contention.

With that stated, I do think it will be a very exciting and entertaining year for Union football fans! I saw a team roster that had Keith Chandler listed as 5'10" 230 lbs. That's a big kid for running back; but he has surprising speed. When you pair him with two other linebackers both experienced and listed as 200 pounds plus, that could easily end up being the main strength of the team - instead of the talented receiving corp. Also the three Anderson brothers played really well against Lee High.

Weaknesses are obviously overall youth, inexperienced offensive line, and kicking/special teams. A formidable M7 schedule with Science Hill and away games at Graham and Abingdon makes me believe 8-4 is about right.   

Hopefully we can beat Abingdon after John Battle beat them 

1 hour ago, FBDevotee said:

I don't see the Bears losing to Abingdon.  Other than Science Hill and Graham, that would mean Gate City or Ridgeview has to beat em for them to go 7-3 in regular season, then one playoff win and then a loss to finish 8-4.  If they have 3 losses in regular season, 1 of those 3 won't be from the Falcons in my opinion.  Abingdon, no offense to any fans, appears to God awful, as in...the worst Abingdon team in one decade going back to 2013.

Not being critical, and we already had the little league conversation, but how much credit does Turner and staff deserve for consistency? Some Union fans in the past have criticized play calling, and I remember a post in the last couple years about getting rid of him (that may have been in jest). In my opinion, other than Graham, Union has been the premier program in SWVA. While there has yet to be a state title, their lows haven’t been that low.

47 minutes ago, tornado99 said:

Not being critical, and we already had the little league conversation, but how much credit does Turner and staff deserve for consistency? Some Union fans in the past have criticized play calling, and I remember a post in the last couple years about getting rid of him (that may have been in jest). In my opinion, other than Graham, Union has been the premier program in SWVA. While there has yet to be a state title, their lows haven’t been that low.

I think fans hate on him more than he deserves for sure but who amongst us haven’t criticized play calling before.  Biggest issue I have is there’s way too many coaches running around and Travis is just too nice to tell them no 

2 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Haven't gotten to see Ridgeview yet, but I see Union being competitive with every team on their schedule with odds of losing higher than winning for only the Graham and Science Hill games. 

Was hoping for alot of power points from SH game but of course they have a down year when we play them.  Even down they’re probably a couple TDS favorite over us.

45 minutes ago, Mountain Football said:

Do all of those coaches wear their backpacks during practice or is that just for game days only?

Now that right there should require 10 bucks per Board Member sent to Mountain Football for that professional comedy!  This is the level I've tried for years to get to with comedy, but can never get there.

3 hours ago, tornado99 said:

Agree with Duke. Lots of baggage on the sidelines.

I know that, overall, the coaching staff and on field performance has been very consistent since 2011.

There are definitely some head scratching moments on the field, whether it be play calling or the need to call a timeout on a punt.

One thing that stands out is time management. Players have wrist bands so they can signal plays in, but time after time, we've seen the QB run to the sideline to get a play when there's 58 seconds before halftime and 40 yards to go.

Don't think that's worth firing anyone over, but very confusing to say the least.

2 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Was hoping for alot of power points from SH game but of course they have a down year when we play them.  Even down they’re probably a couple TDS favorite over us.

They should be good for 3-4 wins at least. IF we're fortunate enough to win, that would be 32-34 power points, which is pretty darn good.

If we lose, not much on the points, but definitely some great preparation for the playoffs. Assuming no injuries, it will help us regardless of the outcome.

4 hours ago, Union_Fan said:

Agree with Duke. Lots of baggage on the sidelines.

I know that, overall, the coaching staff and on field performance has been very consistent since 2011.

There are definitely some head scratching moments on the field, whether it be play calling or the need to call a timeout on a punt.

One thing that stands out is time management. Players have wrist bands so they can signal plays in, but time after time, we've seen the QB run to the sideline to get a play when there's 58 seconds before halftime and 40 yards to go.

Don't think that's worth firing anyone over, but very confusing to say the least.

Gotta love it when we have 1 timeout left 45 seconds to go at the 50 yard line and our hurry up offense is in the huddle