State Semi-Finals Question

UnionGuy2017

Assuming Radford wins region C, they will likely host the winner of region D. It’s my understanding that the seating at the Radford stadium are not up to par to host that level of a game. If that is the case and it is moved to Salem, Blacksburg, etc, how is that decision made on the new location? Is it strictly on C to make and D to accept? 

21 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

Assuming Radford wins region C, they will likely host the winner of region D. It’s my understanding that the seating at the Radford stadium are not up to par to host that level of a game. If that is the case and it is moved to Salem, Blacksburg, etc, how is that decision made on the new location? Is it strictly on C to make and D to accept? 

No, it's not. There would be a problem IF....again....IF it's Union and Radford wants it at Salem and Union says hold up, that's further than Radford by a good amount and we ain't doing that. If....again....it's Union or Graham or whoever, the D school has some say in the game not being FURTHER east of Radford, but not nearly as much say if the game is around the Radford/Bburg/Cburg area or closer west, for example, Mitchell Stadium. 

Hers the thing though. If you are Turner or Palmer and Radford proposes Salem which is further than Radford, do you say no? I would bet, the answer would be..."yes." Why? If you are Turner or Palmer, what better way to have your kids familiarity with Salem and what "could" be. Your tell your kids, 'see this field, work your ass off today and you are right back on this field in 7 days playing for a state title." So, even though Salem is further than Radford for a Union, Graham or Ridgeview or Tazewell in the semi's, it's still very tempting for the Region D teams and not easy for them to say "no" when you consider the possible benefits it can provide your kids.

What the VHSL will NOT do. If for example, it's Radford vs Union, again....IF...lots of ball to be played, but if Radford is the host, they aren't going to "split the difference" in and make Radford travel to Tazewell which would help out Union. The VHSL will not go that far with it. Radford will want it much closer to Radford and will not want to come West, and the VHSL wouldn't make them do that.

There will be plenty of options like Blacksburg, Christiansburg (if they are not still playing), Pulaski, and even Giles, in addition to Salem. Blacksburg, Cburg, Pulaski are all close enough to Radford to where the VHSL will approve it with little resistance from the D team having any kind of an effect, but if the D team wanted to resist Salem, they would have some pull/weight.

In 2018, the state semifinal between Graham & Union was moved from Radford to Salem due to field conditions. I would think no visitor seating would be a big enough issue for the Region D champion to request it be moved if the VHSL has not already made that determination. 

8 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

In 2018, the state semifinal between Graham & Union was moved from Radford to Salem due to field conditions. I would think no visitor seating would be a big enough issue for the Region D champion to request it be moved if the VHSL has not already made that determination. 

And from what I recall Gridiron60, Palmer wanted it/was happy with it being in Salem from what I recall reading on here back then. This is what leads me to believe whether it's  Graham, Ridgview, Union, or Tazewell, even with the extra driving time, these coaches would be OK with it being in Salem because of the possible advantage in the state title game against the East opponent. It's kind of like a win-win for the Region C school (Radford) and the Region D school. As for whether the advantage is Real or only a perceived advantage, I have no idea.

33 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

What the VHSL will NOT do. If for example, it's Radford vs Union, again....IF...lots of ball to be played, but if Radford is the host, they aren't going to "split the difference" in and make Radford travel to Tazewell which would help out Union. The VHSL will not go that far with it. Radford will want it much closer to Radford and will not want to come West, and the VHSL wouldn't make them do that.

There will be plenty of options like Blacksburg, Christiansburg (if they are not still playing), Pulaski, and even Giles, in addition to Salem. Blacksburg, Cburg, Pulaski are all close enough to Radford to where the VHSL will approve it with little resistance from the D team having any kind of an effect, but if the D team wanted to resist Salem, they would have some pull/weight.

Thanks for the information as always man!

I wonder if Blacksburg's stadium could possibly be deemed too small.  The VHSL Directory doesn't give that stadium's capacity, but Christiansburg's is listed at just 3,500, and has noticeably more seating.  Kenneth Dobson (Pulaski Co) is listed at 10,000.  If playing surface is a factor, PC's is the only one that's natural.

blacksburg-field-2-800x551.jpg 

Christiansburg-HS-1000x600.jpg

We were at Christiansburg for a band competition a few weeks ago. It has to seat a lot more than 3,500. I wonder if the capacity listed by VHSL is prior to the stadium renovation Christiansburg did a couple years ago?

Blacksburg’s bleachers are not big compared to some schools but they’re big enough to where the VHSL would allow it. Giles and Salem are the only two schools I’ve seen fill them up. They also have a long fence line to stand around and a little hill area to right of the bleachers if you’re on the visitors side. If Galax is allowed to host a semifinal game then Blacksburg definitely will not be an issue. 

Landtek added 1800 to Christiansburg during the upgrade. I think Christiansburg is around 5300. Blacksburg has always been the smallest of Cburg, Radford, Giles, Pulaski in capacity, but not small enough to be unallowed by VHSL for the semi's. 

Good point, guys, they'd approve Blacksburg.

I'd just hope that VHSL would learn from the Galax '17 semi-final, which was far from ideal.  The Maroon Tide's stadium is a nice facility, but the capacity is listed at just 1,400, which is actually 200 less than their gym. GHS did bring in temporary bleachers, but many, including some elderly, were forced to stand. The Chilhowie band also stood the entire game on the track. 

Would the visiting team if Radford were to win Region C have their opinion taken into consideration? I don’t think Blacksburg is the optimal choice. I also don’t know if Radford wins C. Is it probable that they do, yes but is it possible they don’t, yes. If they don’t, this conversation won’t matter because the winner of C would most likely be traveling. 

21 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Would the visiting team if Radford were to win Region C have their opinion taken into consideration? I don’t think Blacksburg is the optimal choice. I also don’t know if Radford wins C. Is it probable that they do, yes but is it possible they don’t, yes. If they don’t, this conversation won’t matter because the winner of C would most likely be traveling. 

Visiting team would have say so if Radford wanted the game significantly further east of Radford such as Salem. Visiting team wouldn't have any say so if game is played in Radford's local area like Bburg, Cburg, Pulaski. 

10 hours ago, Liam McPoyle said:

Good point, guys, they'd approve Blacksburg.

I'd just hope that VHSL would learn from the Galax '17 semi-final, which was far from ideal.  The Maroon Tide's stadium is a nice facility, but the capacity is listed at just 1,400, which is actually 200 less than their gym. GHS did bring in temporary bleachers, but many, including some elderly, were forced to stand. The Chilhowie band also stood the entire game on the track. 

Galax is facing some pretty daunting decisions about seating in the very near future. The home side concrete disrepair isn't far from what Radford is currently facing. The visitor side has always been woefully underwhelming. Hundreds of George Wythe fans were left standing a few weeks ago and they didn't even bother to bring their band. I don't blame the band for not coming. They would have been forced to stand as Chilhowie did in '17.

4 minutes ago, Optimal62 said:

I have no ideal how Galax is allowed to host  any playoff games past the opening rounds . The visiting stands are laughable in their capacity.  

Hey, but they got that plastic grass!!!