Union @ Abingdon

UnionGuy2017

SOUND THE ALARMS! SOUND THE ALARMS! AHHH ABINGDON BEAT RIDGEVIEW AHHH!!

Just kidding. People who watched the game on the Ridge last night saw what it was. A pathetic showing of coaching and playing by the Wolfpack. 

Unions defense will play well against what abingdon does offensively and I believe Union will be able to challenge the falcon defense in ways the Ridgeview simply was not. Who would have said that 6 months ago?

Abingdon is a solid team with a crazy loss to battle. (Who Ridgeview had a tough time with aswell). 

Bears win by a couple scores 

Union should win this one but I would say they better bring their A game.  Abingdon is decent.  Their 2 other losses were to Christainsburg and Tennessee High.  Plus as it’s been said here, Battle isn’t a bad team. They just need a couple of players to be a playoff team.  

23 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I plan to watch this game online. If you Union guys find out if this game is on that WCBY website, please post if they decide this is their gsme of the week.

23 hours ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

That game will be Virginia High @ Lebanon. 

Seems like they’ve shown more Va. games this season than Tn.

5 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Seems like they’ve shown more Va. games this season than Tn.

They scheduled 10 games and it’s actually a 5-5 split between Va/Tn. Obviously sometimes I think there is a better matchup on a given week but I think they do a pretty good job of parody. 

3 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

They scheduled 10 games and it’s actually a 5-5 split between Va/Tn. Obviously sometimes I think there is a better matchup on a given week but I think they do a pretty good job of parody. 

Really 5-5 it seems like last 4 weeks were Virginia games so just assumed they showed more games over here.  Always wondered why they just don’t decide a week early to pick best game but I guess it’s not enough time to set everything up on time 

1 minute ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

I’m really excited for this game Friday night. It’s strength on strength. Abingdons Oline and running game against the Union front. 7.

Yeah we’ve played bad a time or two over there so definitely gonna be a tough game.  Hopefully the bye week has helped prepare for them and with injuries 

1 minute ago, Duke2015 said:

Yeah we’ve played bad a time or two over there so definitely gonna be a tough game 

The last time we went there 21 maybe? Was in an absolute monsoon. That was the worst shape I’ve ever been in at a game. I think that was our only loss up there. We had that 2OT game a few years ago aswell.  

43 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

The last time we went there 21 maybe? Was in an absolute monsoon. That was the worst shape I’ve ever been in at a game. I think that was our only loss up there. We had that 2OT game a few years ago aswell.  

U could be right I was thinking they spanked us over there about 5 years ago but my memory sucks 😂 

If nothing else, I'm hoping the score, not necessarily the result, of the Abingdon/Ridgeview game will cause Union to not overlook the Falcons.

They'll need to be ready to go when they arrive in Abingdon, and not think it's the cakewalk it appeared to be a few weeks ago.

Union has continued to improve quite a bit each week, maybe more than is typical during a high school football season. They've improved, in large part, because they are a very young team. Union always starts five sophomores, and often play six sophomores on defense.

But I think Abingdon will be a real test for them. I hope having two weeks to heal and prepare will help the Bears.

I look for QB Anderson to have a another good game as he's come into his own. He has thrown very accurately of late - completing 14 of 15 passes in the Bears' last game. The Bears have a stellar stable of receivers.

On 10/22/2023 at 1:58 PM, UnionGuy2017 said:

I’m really excited for this game Friday night. It’s strength on strength. Abingdons Oline and running game against the Union front. 7.

Abingdon is a PHYSICAL football team, they will beat you up! The QB is sneaky good and like to possess the ball and hold it. In the GC game GC had the ball exactly 3 times in the first half for a total of less than 5 minutes. They play like the old Appy teams, size and ball control! I think Union athletically is far superior but Abingdon will be more physical. I like Union to score late and win just too many athletes to stop! 

23 minutes ago, SXSW said:

Abingdon is a PHYSICAL football team, they will beat you up! The QB is sneaky good and like to possess the ball and hold it. In the GC game GC had the ball exactly 3 times in the first half for a total of less than 5 minutes. They play like the old Appy teams, size and ball control! I think Union athletically is far superior but Abingdon will be more physical. I like Union to score late and win just too many athletes to stop! 

I pretty much agree with everything you’re saying. Unions line on both sides of the ball will need to be up to the challenge. Against Ridgeview they were not and the Pack absolutely jumped all over them. That changed in the 2nd half, similar to what you saw abingdon do to them last week. 

I hope to see Union come out on a team offensive approach. Don’t play not to lose because abingdon is coming off a big win. Play to win. No reason for The bears to be timid, nervous, etc. Play Union football and the rest takes care of itself. As Oregon HC Dan Lanning made famous before they ran Colorado out of the state of Oregon, “Rooted in Substance.”

4 hours ago, SXSW said:

You'd be mighty hard pressed to find a team more physical than Union. Abingdon will not outmuscle the Bears. 

12 hours ago, Unchained said:

You'd be mighty hard pressed to find a team more physical than Union. Abingdon will not outmuscle the Bears. 

Id say in terms of physicality and toughness both teams are about equal. Union imo has more explosive players in the Andersons, Huff, and Chandler. Abingdon has the advantage in terms of size.  Imo Union wins but Abingdon will give them all they want