Far Southwest Virginia Top 10 - December 31, 2023 - Version 3

Stelley

5 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I watched GC for first time last night. Graham's better by 6 to 7 points. The entire region is the worst for not just 2D, but also 2C that I've seen since the turn of the century, 23 years. Not only that, region 2B is turrrrrrible. Graham has had probably 8 or 9 teams, maybe more........that are better than this 2023 team since the year 2000, and this years Graham team has a very strong chance to play for a state title against the East, JM. The state of Virginia in Class 2 is that down this year. Worst I've ever seen in my lifetime or memory of HS basketball. This isn't hyperbole. I'm giving my opinion.

The best 3 teams in the state are from 1 region. JM, Greensville County, and Bruton, and if Brunswick wouldn't have dropped from Class 2 down to class 1, it would be 4 teams as 1,2,3, and 4th best from one region (Region A). P.S Floyd is the best in 2C, and they are right there with Graham, but they don't alarm you with the eye test either. 

You won't have to wait till March for Graham and John Marshall to play.  They play at Virginia High later this month in the Big Shots showcase.

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

You won't have to wait till March for Graham and John Marshall to play.  They play at Virginia High later this month in the Big Shots showcase.

I thought that matchup got changed in that tournament.  

I thought JM wasn't going to the Big Shots Showcase. What's interesting though, if the two teams do play in a couple of weeks and then met in the state title game again, I would bet this would be the first time in the history of Virgina in any big 3 sport (basketball, football, baseball) that in Class 1, 2, or 3, that a Region A team and a Region D played in the regular season and then turned around and played a 2nd team in that season for a state title. I would be totally shocked if that has ever happened.

Graham is playing  Shady Soring on that Thursday and Eastsids on Saturday.   Heard JM wanted some cash to come play in Bristol.   So what’s that tell ya about that team in Richmond 

3 hours ago, Comegetsum said:

Graham is playing  Shady Soring on that Thursday and Eastsids on Saturday.   Heard JM wanted some cash to come play in Bristol.   So what’s that tell ya about that team in Richmond 

What told me a lot about JM's AD was that he QUIT, cowarded down against the Big Red from Riverheads in football this year.  He knew what was coming with that game as they would have got the beat down similar to the way they put the beat down on opponents in hoops.  JM wanted absolutely zero part of that match up.

9 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I agree Duke, but the problem is, it's a different team playing them each year and each team has the thought of, 'this is our chance, win or lose, we made it to the title game and are runners up." If you had a situation like at Radford where Radfords players and coaches would have stayed/not retired and Radford loses 2 or 3 state titles in a row to JM and gets blown out, then by the 3rd or 4th go around, they say enough is enough and don't show up. But as long as we keep rotating teams, for example Radford or East Rock or Gate City or possibly Graham or Floyd this year, it will never end. You need one elite powerhouse from the West that is nearly a sure bet each year to play JM so they can lose and get tired of it, but the days of Gate City, Martinsville, and now Radford are about over.

I’m just glad Union got lucky and avoided them during the Covid season.  Is their anyone in the state who can beat them other than the private schools???

15 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I thought that matchup got changed in that tournament.  

13 hours ago, Comegetsum said:

Ok, then that has all changed just recently then.  I was told as late as last week that Graham and JM were playing in that deal.

12 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

I’m just glad Union got lucky and avoided them during the Covid season.  Is their anyone in the state who can beat them other than the private schools???

No, I don’t believe so. I believe they’re the best public school in VA regardless of classification. 

15 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

What told me a lot about JM's AD was that he QUIT, cowarded down against the Big Red from Riverheads in football this year.  He knew what was coming with that game as they would have got the beat down similar to the way they put the beat down on opponents in hoops.  JM wanted absolutely zero part of that match up.

A little diff situations, the injury risk in basketball is nowhere near the risk in football when talking about teams with wildly different skill and athletic talents. 

13 hours ago, Duke2015 said:

Interestingly enough max preps classifies Paul VI (Chantilly, Va.) as a public school (even though I’m 99% sure it’s private) and says that they are the #1 public school in the nation. I think they have JM ranked in the top 15 not too sure tho.

34 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Virginia High taking Graham to task tonight. I believe the list may change a little unless Graham stages a major comeback in the 4th. GMen not playing well tonight at all. 

What was the final?

1 minute ago, Gridiron60 said:

A bit of both in my opinion. I’m not really sure what was going on with GMen tonight. 

Incredibly weird. The Virginia High team that showed up at the Wise tourney looked like they would have been the 4 seed in the swd. Who stood out for V high? My guess was probably one of their two bigs considering Graham doesn’t really have as much size

17 minutes ago, Stelley said:

Incredibly weird. The Virginia High team that showed up at the Wise tourney looked like they would have been the 4 seed in the swd. Who stood out for V high? My guess was probably one of their two bigs considering Graham doesn’t really have as much size

Yeah, Graham had some trouble with the big guys. I’m curious to see final stats especially turnovers. It could be GMen aren’t as good as we’ve all been thinking or they just need a few more games under their belt. We’ll know better next week maybe. They play Bluefield again and Lebanon. They also play Richlands & if that game is close that might spell bad news for GMen.

2 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

Yeah, Graham had some trouble with the big guys. I’m curious to see final stats especially turnovers. It could be GMen aren’t as good as we’ve all been thinking or they just need a few more games under their belt. We’ll know better next week maybe. They play Bluefield again and Lebanon. They also play Richlands & if that game is close that might spell bad news for GMen.

Shew I feel bad for you if you’re going to make the trip to Lebanon. Pretty sure that their baseball team is having their ring ceremony before the boys game. Ain’t gonna get home til late

25 minutes ago, Stelley said:

Shew I feel bad for you if you’re going to make the trip to Lebanon. Pretty sure that their baseball team is having their ring ceremony before the boys game. Ain’t gonna get home til late

I may NFHS that one then, lol. 

7 hours ago, Stelley said:

This Virginia High team is young, and much better than they showed in the Wise tournament. Three of their losses have come against TN High  and DB. They've beat Abingdon  twice. In the SWD they've beat Graham and Marion, steamrolling both. I wouldn't base their team on one tournament game that they played poorly in and lost by 2. 

6 hours ago, Pioneer said:

This Virginia High team is young, and much better than they showed in the Wise tournament. Three of their losses have come against TN High  and DB. They've beat Abingdon  twice. In the SWD they've beat Graham and Marion, steamrolling both. I wouldn't base their team on one tournament game that they played poorly in and lost by 2. 

I wasn’t basing their team off the tourney. Even if they did show up and play their best ball I still didn’t really expect them to beat Graham that badly. One of the games against abingdon they won due to poor officiating (not saying abingdon still would have won with 0.1 seconds left but we will never know). And abingdon is only good when their big is playing good. They’ve beat Lebanon and TN High when he’s scored 15+ points. Granted Marion has a decent team compared to recent years but steam rolling them still isn’t that impressive. Played an ugly game against the M7 3 seed and lost by two. Then beat a subpar Shelby Valley team 41-39 (a team which Lebanon put 79 points on). So I wasn’t really basing them off one tournament game I was just basing them off their season as a whole. But it looks to be that my assumption could be wrong. Great win for the cats