State Semi Scores Finals

Boy Pairings All Set in Class 1 and Class 2 as Auburn beats Honaker in Class 1 Boys by a score of 56-44.

Auburn vs Lancaster in Class 1

Virginia vs John Marshall in Class 2, even though I haven't see in the JM vs Bruton score yet, trust me.......it's all set.

Bruton keeps it within 50.  Final Score in Class 2 East.  John Marshall 92, Bruton 42, and its sad because Bruton has a really, really good Class 2 basketball team that would win the state title (this year) on most years in Virginia's Class 2 if John Marshall weren't in the mix.

5 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Boy Pairings All Set in Class 1 and Class 2 as Auburn beats Honaker in Class 1 Boys by a score of 56-44.

Auburn vs Middlesex in Class 1

Virginia vs John Marshall in Class 2, even though I haven't see in the JM vs Bruton score yet, trust me.......it's all set.

At least Lancaster v Auburn will be a great game. VHS should be super proud tho, incredible season by those kids and in another scenario they could win a state title. But as long as JM is in the 2A bracket no one else will ever win a title. 

4 minutes ago, cityofRaven said:

What if VA High protested playing JM and didn't go the Richmond?

Will never happen.  First time for VH in state title since 1960 and the mentality will be....this is for our town, our school, our players, our fans, our alums, we aren't taking this game from them and holding back this opportunity.  Again, I understand that and respect that.  I think Graham was the youngest team in Region D, so I was kind of hoping Graham would win so they could go and get it over with, then have the great chance to return next year....and then......there's the possibility of them not playing two years in a row.  As long as the West keeps rotating with different teams each year....be it Gate City, Radford, Virginia High, and then next year possibly Gaham, Union, Gretna....it will never happen.  I am rooting for Va High to win the west next year in Hoops.  Maybe....if they win the west again....we could see something happen.

I think Central has a shot at JM's girls  I favor JM, but Central might be able to win that game if they bring their A game and JM brings it's B- or C+ game.  The difference isn't so great yet that Central doesn't have a shot.  They do, but they will have to play lights out.  Auburn and Lancaster could be a classic.  Same for Eastside and Brunswick.  Auburn's boys look like the Hickory Hoosiers out there.   Just unbelievable coaching.  Guys cutting to the basket, perfect passes, perfect off the ball position by it's players on both offense and defense.  They are just absolutely fun to watch if you just want basketball 101.  They have their hands full though.  Lancaster also has ties to AAU basketball- Virginia Elite.  They aren't John Marshall, but their Coach Dwayne Pinn has ties to Virginia Elite out of Fredericksburg.  It might be a Lancaster assistant that is also an assistant at Virginia Elite, I am not certain, but there is a connection.

1 hour ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

VH beats Graham in yet, another close one down to the wire finish.  62-60

Graham came out 2nd half & made a game of it, They battled back all night but came up short. Great season for them and they get everyone back next year. Congratulations to Virginia High. 

No dog in the race but at the end of the Graham and v high game how was that not a foul? Blake Graham was tripped by a Virginia High player laying on the ground? Don’t know how the rule works when there is contact when someone is already on the ground

I want to say this I bleed orange and black, you best believe I'm happy for va high get a chance to maybe play some NBA talent, but my heart hurts for the Graham kids, they fought all night long and seeing some of their kids breaking down at the end of the game at that moment you realize there's no true winner or loser. Myself along with several other Bearcat fans spoke with the Graham kids and tried lifting them up. I see no va high/Graham rivalry I believe both sides became family tonight, hats off to Graham reading what coach Baker said after the region championship saying he's so proud of his kids from what they were the beginning of the season to where they're are now he's proud, hats off to va high losing 4 starters trying to find themselves at the beginning of the season losing by a million to dobyns Bennett, losing by a million to TN High multiple times, then losing to wise central all early then they started to find themselves then boom Ethan Carpenter goes down so now all 5 are new starters what can you say. Now va high is playing with house money let's keep it within 80 and congrats to John Marshall on another 2a state title 

11 hours ago, BigWinners said:

Honaker boys score?

Auburn won by 10-15. Honaker led early but Auburn fought back. Two solid basketball teams and both being well coached but one official made some very questionable calls against Honaker which I thought had a lot to do in determining the outcome. No dog in the fight but I have always said a good official goes unnoticed during the game but that was not the case last night.

1 hour ago, Hokie Bound said:

one official made some very questionable calls against Honaker which I thought had a lot to do in determining the outcome

Auburn outscored Honaker 49-29 after the first quarter. One official accounted for a 20 point swing in a high school basketball game?

The difference in the game was Auburn's ability to adjust offensively.  After the 1st quarter, notice the spacing and cutting and passing by Auburn and offensive sets they would start in for a halfcourt set.  It was DIFFERENT.  That's coaching.  Auburn's coach will adjust on a dime if sees something that he feels will be favorable and his decision is usually favorable.  All coaches or most coaches make adjustments and try things and sometimes it works out well and sometimes it doesn't. Auburn's Coach seems to adjust just a little quicker than 99% of his peers and his decisions made with adjustments seem to turn out to be the correct one's a much higher rate than 99% of his peers.   With all that written, Honaker is a also a well coached team and they looked pretty darn good out there also.

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Auburn outscored Honaker 49-29 after the first quarter. One official accounted for a 20 point swing in a high school basketball game?

At the end of halftime auburn had a 7 point lead and stretched it to 12 points for the final. I do kinda agree that the calls one of the officials made was a bit of a difference maker. Calling 4 charges on Keene that were very questionable made him sit. That’s their leading scorer and biggest player and I do feel like he would have altered some of the shots auburn got

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Every game no matter who wins you can count on the losing team and/or fan base complaing about the refs...and this goes for every level.

Guess it's the easiest excuse...and they seem to never see a call that goes their way...just the 1 or 2 bad calls that go against them. 

News flash people refs are human they will make mistakes...geez it just amazes me some fans

1 hour ago, Stelley said:

At the end of halftime auburn had a 7 point lead and stretched it to 12 points for the final. I do kinda agree that the calls one of the officials made was a bit of a difference maker. Calling 4 charges on Keene that were very questionable made him sit. That’s their leading scorer and biggest player and I do feel like he would have altered some of the shots auburn got

That’s what Auburn does. That’s what’s made them a dynasty in Class 1 basketball over the past decade. They are terrific at taking away your strengths and capitalizing from your tendencies. I’d bet money Millirons can describe in great detail, what he picked up on film to expose Keene the way he did. 

Auburn always starts slow. Once they feel out their opponent, they make small adjustments and take advantage of what the opponent is doing. 

Coaching matters and Auburn has the best in this state. 

12 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

I don't think I've seen this discussed on here, but why did Honaker with both their girls' and boys' teams playing, choose to split their crowd by not playing at UVA-Wise?

Eastside was the 1 seed so they got to choose the venue 

1 hour ago, Tigerman10 said:

Eastside was the 1 seed so they got to choose the venue 

Honaker could have chosen UVA-Wise to keep the teams together. It wasn't like it was a totally new court to them, since they had already played in the holiday tournament there.