Best players from SWVA state champions before 2000.

tornado99

Anybody alive that remembered 70s Clintwood or GC?

Lol wasn't sure how far you guys wanted to go back. 1970 GC Phil Rogers and his Brother Stan, FB Don Frazier Line was huge for that time. Phil went to VT played QB with Tiki and Ronde's fatherJames playing RB. As an option QB was still VT's all-time leading rusher until Cyrus Lawrence came along in the early 80's. Phil was the best high school back i ever saw. I only saw Thomas once in high school live, was gone in the military during that time.

1974 GC Mickey Rogers (299 yds on 14 carries against Amherst in 74 semis, GC won 71-18?) LB Dennis Wolfe went to UT was 3year starter and defensive captain, Rick Begley OL/DL strongest man ever at GC went to Vandy, Rick Shoemaker OL played at ETSU.

Clintwood mid 70's Johnny McFall RB very strong runner, may be one of the strongest runners i ever saw led them to 3 straight titles (his son was a pretty good RB at Jefferson Co a few years back)

1975 Martinsville was very good, Dennis Mahan was the fastest back i ever saw. Got to see him run all over the field against GC in the 75 semis as a soph?. i still have a magazine that was from 1977 that had him as a first team all american.

Blacksburg 1977 RB Mark Dymock? led them over GC in the regional.

Not SWVA but the 1978 Southampton team with Cyrus Lawrence (definitely the strongest runner i ever saw) and Ashley Lee

GC 97' Jake Houseright so fast for his size it wasn't fair.

Lol wasn't sure how far you guys wanted to go back. 1970 GC Phil Rogers and his Brother Stan, FB Don Frazier Line was huge for that time. Phil went to VT played QB with Tiki and Ronde's fatherJames playing RB. As an option QB was still VT's all-time leading rusher until Cyrus Lawrence came along in the early 80's. Phil was the best high school back i ever saw. I only saw Thomas once in high school live, was gone in the military during that time.

1974 GC Mickey Rogers (299 yds on 14 carries against Amherst in 74 semis, GC won 71-18?) LB Dennis Wolfe went to UT was 3year starter and defensive captain, Rick Begley OL/DL strongest man ever at GC went to Vandy, Rick Shoemaker OL played at ETSU.

Clintwood mid 70's Johnny McFall RB very strong runner, may be one of the strongest runners i ever saw led them to 3 straight titles (his son was a pretty good RB at Jefferson Co a few years back)

1975 Martinsville was very good, Dennis Mahan was the fastest back i ever saw. Got to see him run all over the field against GC in the 75 semis as a soph?. i still have a magazine that was from 1977 that had him as a first team all american.

Blacksburg 1977 RB Mark Dymock? led them over GC in the regional.

Not SWVA but the 1978 Southampton team with Cyrus Lawrence (definitely the strongest runner i ever saw) and Ashley Lee

GC 97' Jake Houseright so fast for his size it wasn't fair.

Awesome! I have heard of the Rodgers brothers and McFall. Wish I had a time machine to watch them.

Back in '93 I watched Anthony Poindexter (future all-american safety at UVA and Baltimore Raven draft pick) quarterback Jefferson Forrest at a playoff game at Mitchell Stadium.  He was the best high school player I ever saw.  Graham couldn't do much with him, they defeated Graham on their way to their 2nd consecutive Division 3 state title.

Jesse Davis (won the Junior National college Championship at Lees McRae as starting QB) , Robert Viney (Hampton), Stephan Holloway (Va Tech), Quentin Reed (ETSU). I hate to single any of them out. That was some kind of a year. Everyone all together as one unit.

IMO that team is one of the most talented to ever come out of this area simply because of the number of players who went on to play college ball. They just didn't dominate due mostly to the conservative nature of the coaching staff. That team would have been sick in a run oriented spread in today's game. I think their defense gave up 30 points total in their 4 playoff wins.

Plus the level of competition was higher back then. At that time Tazewell was in Division 4 (essentially 4A), although like the 89 Graham and 92 Richlands teams, they had the benefit of playing all 4 playoff games at home.

Off the top of my head, a few of the others off that team who played in college:

RB/DB Jeff Lamie (Ferrum)

OT John Blankenship (Ferrum)

C/NT Chris McCall (Clinch Valley / UVa Wise)

I don't think he played in college, but the heart and soul of that team was arguably Jeff McCann....all 5'6, 155 lbs of him...started at FB and LB.

IMO that team is one of the most talented to ever come out of this area simply because of the number of players who went on to play college ball. They just didn't dominate due mostly to the conservative nature of the coaching staff. That team would have been sick in a run oriented spread in today's game. I think their defense gave up 30 points total in their 4 playoff wins.

Plus the level of competition was higher back then. At that time Tazewell was in Division 4 (essentially 4A), although like the 89 Graham and 92 Richlands teams, they had the benefit of playing all 4 playoff games at home.

Off the top of my head, a few of the others off that team who played in college:

RB/DB Jeff Lamie (Ferrum)

OT John Blankenship (Ferrum)

C/NT Chris McCall (Clinch Valley / UVa Wise)

I don't think he played in college, but the heart and soul of that team was arguably Jeff McCann....all 5'6, 155 lbs of him...started at FB and LB.

Thanks, hoard. If I recall, in the last couple of years, McCann was mentioned in a History with Hayes column.

Man how blessed has our little corner of the football world been, during most of our lifetimes, we have seen so many great players who have gone all the way to the top. Prep all stars, college stars and Super Bowl winning players from little ole S.W Va. Our talent and population may be dwindling but we have been heard from far and wide in the football world. Long live S.W. Va. Football and long live the memories we all have.

From what I remember:

PV-

Thomas and Julius Jones (TJ was by far best HS FB player I ever saw. Period.)

Matt Stidham (FB)

Josh Warren (DE)

Nathan Tuck (WR)

Todd Zirkle (WR)

Jerry Shuler (OL)

Matt McCoy

Don Dorton

Victor Williams

Shea Chapman

Kelvin Davis

Did Boo Sensebaugh ever win a title at JIB? If so, he def deserves a big mention. Justin Hamilton was a beast at CW too but never won a title.

And people forget how dominant Thomas, and especially Julius, were on defense. They were DBs, and JJ was a head CRUSHER. Hardest HS hit I ever witnessed was Juice almost killing a CWood WR on a slant, poor kid was knocked into the next century.

Boo never got out of Region D due to Appalachia.

Kelvin Davis had a ton of potential but I dont think he deserved to be in that group.  Great athlete with a ton of ability but he looked lazy on the field to me.

That's probably true, he didn't have the drive or mean streak like Chapman, but that was one seriously imposing DL with Davis, Chapman and Warren.

Keith Davis deserves a mention, Greg Bishop too. Duncan was a great QB too, Webb was a great TE. I don't remember the lineman as well as the skill guys, but Shuler was an absolute MAULER and one of the Rich boys was a monster.

From what I remember:

PV-

Thomas and Julius Jones (TJ was by far best HS FB player I ever saw. Period.)

Matt Stidham (FB)

Josh Warren (DE)

Nathan Tuck (WR)

Todd Zirkle (WR)

Jerry Shuler (OL)

Matt McCoy

Don Dorton

Victor Williams

Shea Chapman

Kelvin Davis

I remember Dorton,Williams,Zirkle, Warren, and Tuck since you mentioned them now.