Mountain v Southwest

redtiger

I can't remember R.B. Worthy for the life of me, but I definitely remember Saltville. The Shakers and the Poca Dots will always stand out to me.

A little history here, It was called Saltville High School until the end of the school year of 1956.  The current Northwood High School building opened in the fall of 1957 and they named it after R.B. Worthy.  Reason being they named it after him,

"Because of all he had done for the town since he came here in 1925 to oversee the repair of the muck dam. He was sports minded and as plant manager, he saw that Saltville High had always had anything they needed. We had our own school system until 1972. Were not a part of the Smyth County system. He was civic minded and was the man who enlarged and improved the golf course. He saw that the Saltville Alkalies were well equipped and Shaker teams had the finest equipment money could buy. In the '50s, Shaker football uniforms cost as much as UT's uniforms. Mr. Worthy was on the school board and then, the plant and town worked together. If the town needed money, Mr. Worthy and the company came forth. And too, he was one of the most popular men in town...he would stop and talk with anyone on the street and the people loved him. When someone on the town council suggested they name the new school for him, it passed unanimously."

So, CMC v. SWC, which conference has a team make it further? Which one has more playoff teams?

That early season Union/Richlands matchup could be gigantic for seeding and potential homefield.

I'm excited for the post season battles in the new format. Only one of Richlands, Union, Graham, GC, etc can make it out of the region. 

Damn that sucks. It really hurts our side. We could have as many as three of the best 6-7 teams but now we only get to send one? I'm not a fan

The old system sucked just for this very reason...now they've come back to it telling us it is "new and improved"...same ol' BS from the VHSL...