Union vs. Richlands rematch

trumpet1988

The Bears have overcome the loss of their QB and pulled together to win ten games and repeat as district champions - quite an accomplishment! And Turner isn’t just any QB.  At 6’ 190 lbs and the head coaches son, he had started 14 straight games compiling some impressive passing stats.  His loss for the year was & is a big deal.  I look for the team to continue to rally together.  I don’t know how they’ll do in the playoffs but I look for a focused effort.

1 hour ago, BigWinners said:

You coming down Ryan?

Nope. I signed on over the summer to be the color analyst for the Blacksburg games this year on ESPN Blacksburg. I've gotten to see 3 Richlands games. Blacksburg (obviously), Bluefield (Paul had a wedding to go to so we didn't do the Blacksburg game that week) and Lebanon (Blacksburg's BYE). While it's been an odd season (I've missed more games this season than I have in probably the last 15 years combined), it's been fun to call the games and watch the Bruins head towards a potential long playoff run. They're 9-1 and are heavily favored to win their region. If they do, that Blacksburg @ Millbrook game will be a doozy. 

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

Nope. I signed on over the summer to be the color analyst for the Blacksburg games this year on ESPN Blacksburg. I've gotten to see 3 Richlands games. Blacksburg (obviously), Bluefield (Paul had a wedding to go to so we didn't do the Blacksburg game that week) and Lebanon (Blacksburg's BYE). While it's been an odd season (I've missed more games this season than I have in probably the last 15 years combined), it's been fun to call the games and watch the Bruins head towards a potential long playoff run. They're 9-1 and are heavily favored to win their region. If they do, that Blacksburg @ Millbrook game will be a doozy. 

Blacksburg region is murders row

2 minutes ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Blacksburg region is murders row

I don't honestly think it is. They're gonna get a 5-5 Jefferson Forest team. If they win they, they'll likely get E.C Glass, who just lost to Amherst last week...the same Amherst team that Blacksburg destroyed. Bruins will be favorites again. Then the regional championship against either George Washington or Salem. They trounced Salem a month ago and have added Coffee back to the mix at WR. 

Not saying it's an easy region, but they are the heavy favorites. Look at Region B. There's FOUR 10-0 teams over there, including Dinwiddie. In fact, there are 4 undefeated teams left in 4A, and they're all in 4B. That's a murder's row region, not 4D. 

Just now, Ryan4VT said:

I don't honestly think it is. They're gonna get a 5-5 Jefferson Forest team. If they win they, they'll likely get E.C Glass, who just lost to Amherst last week...the same Amherst team that Blacksburg destroyed. Bruins will be favorites again. Then the regional championship against either George Washington or Salem. They trounced Salem a month ago and have added Coffee back to the mix at WR. 

Not saying it's an easy region, but they are the heavy favorites. Look at Region B. There's FOUR 10-0 teams over there, including Dinwiddie. In fact, there are 4 undefeated teams left in 4A, and they're all in 4B. That's a murder's row region, not 4D. 

Those earlier games mean nothing this go around...and Amherst and glass played a quality team every Friday just about in district...bburg played some good teams but some duds too

1 minute ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Those earlier games mean nothing this go around...and Amherst and glass played a quality team every Friday just about in district...bburg played some good teams but some duds too

Yep. They played some dud teams. And beat them by 40+ every time. You can't control how good your district schedule is. You can control how you perform against the bad teams, and they've checked every box. Take the hater glasses off for a second and realize that they are a damn good football team and have just a good a shot as anyone to make it to Williamsburg. 

1 minute ago, Ryan4VT said:

Yep. They played some dud teams. And beat them by 40+ every time. You can't control how good your district schedule is. You can control how you perform against the bad teams, and they've checked every box. Take the hater glasses off for a second and realize that they are a damn good football team and have just a good a shot as anyone to make it to Williamsburg. 

Just said they played some shit teams is all...never once have I said they weren't a good football team did I? And I don't hate Blacksburg I just think the head coach is a prick...but you already know that

Couple friends of mine are coaches at bburg so I have nothing against the TEAM

1 hour ago, Hokiebird7 said:

Your team is who?

Just trying to ruffle some Hokie feathers-if Hokies have feathers. What happened to The Fighting Gobblers?They must have not liked the official name  .What is a Hokie anyway?

1 hour ago, Ryan4VT said:

Blacksburg will have to defend the wishbone. If ran correctly can really cause some problems. Especially if you've never seen the triple option. And if JF is actually reading it.

Blacksburg's defense will have to be disciplined. Also can really run some clock with it .At least that's what I hear JF is running on Offense.

I think Blacksburg wins the region but also think they will have a game or 2 that will be fairly close....but I don't this Friday is one of those games...I don't know much about the other side of the state in 4A but I assume by state semi weekend there will be nothing but Damn good teams left

On 11/5/2017 at 7:27 PM, UniON_FoOtBaLL said:

I agree 100% Union an Graham can win a state title. Appo is still a very good team an has a awsome program but I think Union are Graham beats them in week 4 hopefully Union ? IMO.  

Appomattox as much as it pains me to say it, should win hands down. 

14 hours ago, SXSW said:

If you have to come to a message board to get motivated your in trouble already. I think Mance is a better coach than Turner, but Turner isn't stupid either. Union has a legit D1 player and they are using him as they should. He does everything but drive the bus and if his age wasn't a factor he'd probably have his CDL's and do that good too. I think this is Union's nightmare scenario, but I believe that will do just enough to win, because Richlands is challenged on the offensive side of the ball. There is far more pressure on Union than Richlands, so much I can feel it in Kingsport. 

I don't think our boys care about this board or what a bunch of has beens/never was players have to say week in and week out haha.  I told my son to stay off this board honestly. 

Region D has good teams top to bottom.  But my opinion, Union is two or three scores better than every team in the Region.  And if they execute, they will win the Region by such scores.  It may be late in the game.  I'm not saying "no doubters".  And don't get offended.  I mean no disrespect.  Richlands battled hard to get in.  VHS gets to host for the first time in 25-30 years.  Graham has played solid ball all year.  Ridgeview has been the talk of the town.  So don't take this as cocky, arrogant, or disrespectful.   I'm going with gut feeling and some of the popular Transitive Property that we all look at from time to time.  Union has a ton of weapons at Travis' disposal.  You don't know who is gonna hurt you on any given game day.  And the Defense is tops in 2A. 

But the game isn't played on paper.  It's played on the gridiron and the playoffs are fun to watch.  I pray each team has a safe, injury free run.

On 11/5/2017 at 10:38 PM, Unionguy_2017 said:

I gotcha, thanks. Brown is a good runner but I don't think he's THAT much better than Moir is he? If I remember correctly Moir ran pretty well when I saw Richlands V Graham. 

Bottomline, Mance is in a no win with QB. Brown is super's grandson & Moir is school board members son. He's got to play Moir more because I hear that lady axes coaches. That's how the Fuller kid ended up at Bluefield. Politics, gotta love Tazewell County.

21 minutes ago, BearDawg said:

I don't think our boys care about this board or what a bunch of has beens/never was players have to say week in and week out haha.  I told my son to stay off this board honestly. 

Region D has good teams top to bottom.  But my opinion, Union is two or three scores better than every team in the Region.  And if they execute, they will win the Region by such scores.  It may be late in the game.  I'm not saying "no doubters".  And don't get offended.  I mean no disrespect.  Richlands battled hard to get in.  VHS gets to host for the first time in 25-30 years.  Graham has played solid ball all year.  Ridgeview has been the talk of the town.  So don't take this as cocky, arrogant, or disrespectful.   I'm going with gut feeling and some of the popular Transitive Property that we all look at from time to time.  Union has a ton of weapons at Travis' disposal.  You don't know who is gonna hurt you on any given game day.  And the Defense is tops in 2A. 

But the game isn't played on paper.  It's played on the gridiron and the playoffs are fun to watch.  I pray each team has a safe, injury free run.

Union has the best D in 2D, yes. But have you researched the other 24 teams in the playoffs? Appomattox has a D1 power 5 ACC player on it's defense, too. Poquoson plays a ridiculous schedule filled with bigger schools. Clarke and Central and both very, very good teams. I understand you're confident, as you should be. But that's a bold statement saying they have the best D in the entire state in 2A. 

30 minutes ago, Ryan4VT said:

Union has the best D in 2D, yes. But have you researched the other 24 teams in the playoffs? Appomattox has a D1 power 5 ACC player on it's defense, too. Poquoson plays a ridiculous schedule filled with bigger schools. Clarke and Central and both very, very good teams. I understand you're confident, as you should be. But that's a bold statement saying they have the best D in the entire state in 2A. 

Sure I'm confident.  But my claim about their Defense is doing from a rankings chart I looked at a couple of weeks ago.  I was trying to find the site to like on here.  Unions D was ranked at 101.9.  Almost 20 points higher than any other team in ALL of 2A.  Not the region.  They were the top ranked team in ALL of 2A when averaging the O and D, according to this chart.  I wish I could find the link.  It could have come from a reliable source, or a crack head.  It's only a conversation topic.  I enjoy it.  And I have looked at the other side of the state.  I figure Central Woodstock will play for state from that side.  It's all in good fun, that's how I look at it. 

*EDIT*

The page is on VHSL reference.  Seems like that page was blackballed on this site before so I'll pass on the link.  It's showing seven games still.  So it's not complete.  Been like that for weeks.

4 hours ago, BearDawg said:

Region D has good teams top to bottom.  But my opinion, Union is two or three scores better than every team in the Region.  And if they execute, they will win the Region by such scores.

I sure hope Union believes they’re 2-3 TDs better than Graham.  If they do, they’ll be getting out the basketballs on Saturday, November 25th.

51 minutes ago, UVAObserver said:

I sure hope Union believes they’re 2-3 TDs better than Graham.  If they do, they’ll be getting out the basketballs on Saturday, November 25th.

I think Union has proved that they are the team to beat, and if I look at their season, they should face Appo in the championship and have a good chance of winning it all, but I've seen the unexpected happen in the playoff's so many times.  I think every team has to play one game at a time and be expecting the unexpected.  I don't think anyone has what Union has, but I didn't think BBurg would win the title in their division last year, so you never know, one or two bad plays can cause an upset, so for anyone to win the title, they have to have their mind in every game and every play, but I guess that's why we play the games.  I would love to see someone from our area win the title, and I would be cheering all the way for Union, or Graham, or anyone from our area in the championship, but come Friday I'm cheering for the Blues to pull off what seems to be the impossible.