Union vs. Richlands rematch

trumpet1988

2 minutes ago, Suit Up said:

I don’t think it’s a bad win at all. I just can’t bring myself to be excited about beating a 3-7 team even given their competition. I know Union is a good team. In the bracket challenge I picked them to go all the way, because I think Appomattox will come from region C, but with all the success they’ve had the last 3 years they haven’t had to come to southwest Va and play in the kind of environment they’ll see in Bullit. But I think one weakness of Union is them allowing teams they should put away hand around longer than they should. They should’ve buried Richlands with the difference in yards and such, but had a couple things went a different way, they lose that game at home. Same kind of thing with Abingdon and Lee hanging around so long and also the MW game. I’m afraid they may slip up and lose to someone in these playoffs they shouldn’t.

Union is always capable of laying an egg. They have done so in the playoffs before. I agree, they HAVE to bring their A game each week and not let off the gas if they expect to win 5 more games.

As far as the MoWest win...it's all about perception and relevance.

Richlands is down this year, but had one of their losses been to Chilhowie or Grundy, I would have still considered that a huge victory for the smaller school.

1 hour ago, swva_havok_fan said:

Oh no... I was at the Ferrum and E&H game this year and laughed my ass off on the way it ended.  I'm not an E&H fan at all.  The penalty Mann got that I spoke of happened in that game.  I got a huge kick out of it.  :)

Well glad you had a good time....I enjoyed watching him for 3 varsity years in HS.

He made a mistake obviously but he is a great kid that has made giles fans proud

Richlands defense is going to have to play a game of a lifetime to handle Union.  I would rather have Mitchell at WR than to be in the backfield with having many more opportunities to touch the ball. 

Richlands offense needs to pick it up too.  I know these boys will be ready to play.  I also know Mance and company will have the best possible game plan in place to try to succeed.  I am looking forward to the game this Friday.  From the forecast, looks like kickoff temperature will be around 31 and feel like 24.    Brrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

I am going to throw out a prediction and say 20-14 Richlands

Is this a 7:00 kickoff just like the regular season??

1 minute ago, mv91 said:

Richlands defense is going to have to play a game of a lifetime to handle Union.  I would rather have Mitchell at WR than to be in the backfield with having many more opportunities to touch the ball. 

Richlands offense needs to pick it up too.  I know these boys will be ready to play.  I also know Mance and company will have the best possible game plan in place to try to succeed.  I am looking forward to the game this Friday.  From the forecast, looks like kickoff temperature will be around 31 and feel like 24.    Brrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!

I am going to throw out a prediction and say 20-14 Richlands

Atleast we don't have to worry about a monsoon starting at anytime during the game. I remember in the first matchup everyone was on edge just waiting on it. ?

5 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

Atleast we don't have to worry about a monsoon starting at anytime during the game. I remember in the first matchup everyone was on edge just waiting on it. ?

No doubt about that!!!

2 hours ago, Suit Up said:

What do you think that? MW finished their season at 3-7. Just because they’re a bigger school doesn’t mean they’re good.

Look at the schedule. They're 3-7 and lost to all top teams, almost beating DB. A win over a 4A (VA) school that is a good team is a good win. And Union held them to fhejf single lowest point total.

1 hour ago, UVAObserver said:

Based on level of competition, Central (Woodstock).

From what I've seen on film, CW is much better on the back end, but I think the Union front is just as good.

And their level of comp. isn't great, that's how a 9-1 Clarke team that CW beat by 40 outpointed them. CW played a good schedule, not sure it was tougher than Graham's or Richlands. 

15 hours ago, BearDawg said:

I don't think our boys care about this board or what a bunch of has beens/never was players have to say week in and week out haha.  I told my son to stay off this board honestly. 

Region D has good teams top to bottom.  But my opinion, Union is two or three scores better than every team in the Region.  And if they execute, they will win the Region by such scores.  It may be late in the game.  I'm not saying "no doubters".  And don't get offended.  I mean no disrespect.  Richlands battled hard to get in.  VHS gets to host for the first time in 25-30 years.  Graham has played solid ball all year.  Ridgeview has been the talk of the town.  So don't take this as cocky, arrogant, or disrespectful.   I'm going with gut feeling and some of the popular Transitive Property that we all look at from time to time.  Union has a ton of weapons at Travis' disposal.  You don't know who is gonna hurt you on any given game day.  And the Defense is tops in 2A. 

But the game isn't played on paper.  It's played on the gridiron and the playoffs are fun to watch.  I pray each team has a safe, injury free run.

Considering Union lost their starting QB;Turner has done a remarkable job of exceeding expectations without your starting QB.

35 minutes ago, BigWinners said:

Look at the schedule. They're 3-7 and lost to all top teams, almost beating DB. A win over a 4A (VA) school that is a good team is a good win. And Union held them to fhejf single lowest point total.

They lost to DB 41-23

7 hours ago, UVAObserver said:

Let’s go back to Week 1.  Say Graham doesn’t fumble, and beats Bluefield 21-17.  Who’s the favorite now?  I think people are putting way too much stock into the “1” in Graham’s 9-1 mark.  But for a Week 1 goal line fumble, Graham would have the best win over any other school in SWVA, hands down, argument over.  

These teams are almost dead even...the best D in the region (not state) against the best O in the region (not state), and I’d be floored if the score was more than 1 score either way.

And Allen is a much better QB now than he was in week 1. Losing Reed at RB really hurt. But Graham has done a nice job

of working around his loss. Give Coach Palmer a ton of credit for making necessary adjustments and not caving in to all the

naysayers that wanted him to change QB's after that loss to Bluefield.

7 hours ago, Blue 72 said:

Hope the players are not looking far down the road the way some of us are doing, could cause some problems for them if they are to focused on far away games instead of the game in front of them.  Union has a better line than Graham on both sides of the ball, and if this match does come to fruition, Union will win, but both teams have to get there first.

Union is far better up front than anyone in the Region[Offense and Defense]. Teams in this Region are really weak up front Offensively.

Just now, RJ7 said:

Union is far better up front than anyone in the Region[Offense and Defense]. Teams in this Region are really weak up front Offensively.

There is no doubt Union is probably the strongest up front, but I don't think Richlands, Graham, or VH are push overs by any means.  So how could you say teams in the region are really weak up front Offensively?  Maybe not as strong as Union, but come on, let's be fair.

21 minutes ago, Unionguy_2017 said:

DB scored 20 in the fourth. Morristown west had a 2 point lead entering the 4th. 

Richlands was down 14-10 to Blacksburg and it was Blues ball at the beginning of the fourth quarter. Does that mean they almost beat Blacksburg?Because if I stated that I’d be laughed off the board.

3 hours ago, BigWinners said:

I think beating MW is more impressive but Giles is an amazing win. 

Maybe if MW hadn't had the QB trouble! I was at that game if the 2nd string QB hadn't got hurt that would have been a helluva win. That offense couldn't do anything at all in the first half!

1 minute ago, Suit Up said:

Richlands was down 14-10 to Blacksburg and it was Blues ball at the beginning of the fourth quarter. Does that mean they almost beat Blacksburg?Because if I stated that I’d be laughed off the board.

I mean, the way some guys talk on here you'd think that was the case. 

15 hours ago, Gridiron60 said:

Bottomline, Mance is in a no win with QB. Brown is super's grandson & Moir is school board members son. He's got to play Moir more because I hear that lady axes coaches. That's how the Fuller kid ended up at Bluefield. Politics, gotta love Tazewell County.

Why not just go with the best QB. Tony Palmer at Graham heard it after the Bluefield game. People said he needed to move Allen

to wideout and start a different QB. He didn't listen to the negativity. He stuck with his guy. Now look how much better Allen is at QB.

He evidently thought Brown was the best QB when the season started.

1 minute ago, RJ7 said:

Why not just go with the best QB. Tony Palmer at Graham heard it after the Bluefield game. People said he needed to move Allen

to wideout and start a different QB. He didn't listen to the negativity. He stuck with his guy. Now look how much better Allen is at QB.

He evidently thought Brown was the best QB when the season started.

Brown isn’t the better of the two though.