ABINGDON FOOTBALL COACH SUSPENDED

techivyleague

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

This whole thing is getting pretty comical from an outsiders perspective. You couldn't pay me enough money to be a coach and deal with parents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, I did it ONE year and that was enough...the kids were great but the one or two parents telling you how things should be run wasn't...

[ QUOTE ]

what the crap are you all talking about Coach Mance taking the job, u goys are stupid! thats not even in the question, coach gregory didnt lose his job, and the job hasnt been offered to anyone, specially coach mance, where do you stupid people come up with this stuff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back a few pages and read the JOKE about Craig Plymal and Greg Mance taking over at Abingdon...

Lets just face the facts,Abingdon isn't a football town,they are more worried about coach yelling at his players than winning and having pride in their program. The man obivously cares for his team and his players,he thought they had a good shot at going head to head with Richlands and winning,and on any given friday night any team can win. It could be the 0-5 team or the 5-0 team.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

My point is----> <font size=4>coach gregory sucks</font size=4><font size=10>.

<font size=4>

[/ QUOTE ]

OUR point is----> Abingdon sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

you suck gman. no one's talking about abingdon sucking. this is about coach gregory, not you being a dumbass

Coach responds to criticism

Wednesday, Sep 20, 2006 - 02:00 AM

BY DEBRA McCOWN

BRISTOL HERALD COURIER

Email to a Friend Printer Friendly

ABINGDON – A day after his suspension, Abingdon High School’s head football coach reacted to criticism he inappropriately yelled at players during a game last week.

"If you’re going to get rid of a coach or suspend a coach for yelling at people, you’re going to have a hard time finding coaches," Ray Gregory said Tuesday.

"There’s a band there, and there’s a lot of noise. You’re not going to get anybody’s attention by being a whisperer."

His suspension leaves the team without its head coach less than a month into the season and with six games remaining.

It’s not just yelling, said Deborah Arms-Campbell, whose son Zachary plays defense. She said Gregory curses at the boys, manipulates them emotionally and tolerates bullying.

"It’s past time," she said of the suspension. "I don’t want this, like it did last year, being swept under a rug. It needs to be addressed."

Gregory confirmed that officials suspended him for two weeks from coaching as well as teaching. It wasn’t clear who made the decision to suspend him, and Gregory wouldn’t say whether he’d be paid during his absence.

The conduct in question occurred during Friday night’s game against Richlands High School. Abingdon lost 53-0.

The high school’s athletic director, Sam Blevins, and School Superintendent Alan Lee wouldn’t talk about the suspension.

While half a dozen parents defended the coach at a Monday night School Board meeting, some players’ parents said they’ve had a problem with Gregory since he began coaching the team last year.

"To me, children learn by example, and to teach them, we need the instructors that we have to be positive role models," said Tammy Dea, whose two sons played on the team last year but did not return.

She said a lot of boys decided not to play this year because of Gregory, and the numbers would seem to bear that out.

The roster has shrunk from 53 players last year to 35 this year. Only two freshmen joined the team this year, and 10 of last year’s players did not return.

Gregory said that while he knew a group of players’ family members met Monday with school Principal Jeff Noe to discuss their concerns, the suspension caught him off guard.

He said that in two decades of coaching at nearly a dozen high schools and colleges, he’s never had such a problem.

"College coaching’s tough," he said. "I’d been in it a while, and I thought this would be more peaceful."

Some parents applaud a tough-love attitude. Mark Bias said Gregory yells at his son Joe for good reason.

"It wasn’t that he hollered at him to be mean," he said of an incident during Friday’s game. "He hollered at him to teach him, and he hugged him as if he was his own son. It’s not like he was trying to bully the kid or belittle the kid. He was doing that as a teaching method."

Bias said Gregory also had a positive influence on his nephew Billy Robertson.

"If it wasn’t for that football program, Billy may not be at school today," Bias said. "I really appreciate the coach sticking his neck out away from the field and making sure his players are taken care of."

Skip Bailey, an assistant coach, acts as head coach during Gregory’s suspension. He doesn’t know yet, he said, how long he’s going to be in charge.

"We’re just out here trying to get the football team ready for Friday night (against Tazewell)," he said. "Then, after Friday night, we’ll see what happens, and if nothing happens, we’ll take Monday and prepare for Honaker."

dmccown@bristolnews.com | (276) 791-0701

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Lets see, "Gman" is a Administrator, should you be saying "abingdon sucks" or any disrespecting thing? some administrator you are, keep up the good work!

[/ QUOTE ]

At least I never cried when the coach chewed my ass out...

[/ QUOTE ]nope, because the band instructor usually doesnt chew out the flute players.

Guys, just shut up about it please. It should just involve the football players, coaches, and people who are in the middle of it. iknowthefacts has a point, none of yall know the real facts, but I am not gonna say crap about it. Just shut up about it, and let it be.

[ QUOTE ]

Guys, just shut up about it please. It should just involve the football players, coaches, and people who are in the middle of it. iknowthefacts has a point, none of yall know the real facts, but I am not gonna say crap about it. Just shut up about it, and let it be.

[/ QUOTE ]

well considering there is a big write up about it in the Bristol paper today, it is public knowledge now, and every has a right to express their opinion about it. Like it or not!

I most definitely don't think people should have to shut up. This was brought on the Abingdon football program/team by certain parents. I am sure it could have been handled in a more discreet manner, but I don't believe those parents cared whether or not it was handled that way or not.

I've heard people from Abingdon even say that the football program won't be successful until certain parents quit meddling in the coaching staff's business and let the coaches coach in the manner that most area coaches do - tough, disciplined, etc, etc - and yes, this was spoke of long before Gregory arrived at the helm in Abingdon. I don't think the kids in Abingdon are any softer than the kids from other schools in SWVA - but I do believe the parents are and want to have their kids coddled. They want their head coach to babysit their boys while they were football jerseys - and that's exactly how it looks to me and others as well.

My coaches in high school were very tough, they cursed, screamed/yelled and tried to find a way to "flick the switch" on me and other players as well - which I am believing this is the so-called "emotional stress" that the coach is being accused of. It was tough, very tough at times but I have more respect for them than just about anyone else I have known. It helped me mature as an individual and showed me that nothing is truly earned unless you work for it and go through some level/version of Hades to get to it.

Bottom line, the parents drug this out into the media in their manner of handling the issue they have - so why should people shut up about it? If anything, talking it out should shed some light on those shallow-minded individuals who brought it up in the first place. If said parents didn't have that "ME-ONLY-ME Attitude" for themselves and their kids, this would never be a problem in the first place IMHO.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's too big of a story to shut up about it now. All the local papers are reporting it and it will surely be on the news. I wouldn't even be surprised to see the national media get in on it because when you think about it... a high school football coach being suspended for yelling at his players is bizarre to say the least.

I hope for Abingdon's sake there is more to it than just yelling and cussing or else their ability to attract decent coach is out the window. If I were Gregory I'd come back from my suspension and collect my paycheck for the rest of this season then bolt.

isn't that what it takes to be successful in abingdon? it's a very uppity community, most of the folks that live there look down upon people from other parts of southwest virginia.....abingdon is about like living in charlottesville.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Lets see, "Gman" is a Administrator, should you be saying "abingdon sucks" or any disrespecting thing? some administrator you are, keep up the good work!

[/ QUOTE ]

At least I never cried when the coach chewed my ass out...

[/ QUOTE ]nope, because the band instructor usually doesnt chew out the flute players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good one Tid_Bit! Where you been???

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's too big of a story to shut up about it now. All the local papers are reporting it and it will surely be on the news. I wouldn't even be surprised to see the national media get in on it because when you think about it... a high school football coach being suspended for yelling at his players is bizarre to say the least.

I hope for Abingdon's sake there is more to it than just yelling and cussing or else their ability to attract decent coach is out the window. If I were Gregory I'd come back from my suspension and collect my paycheck for the rest of this season then bolt.

[/ QUOTE ]

He saying let it be because its no one else business and its nothing to you all, it affects you in no way, so why stick your nose in it?

I heard it was the guy who was at PH. He is now in Wythe County,He was the AD at PH too. I heard he would be interested in the A town job. The word is he does not cuss or raise his voice to the kids. I think his last name is Thompson.

half the boys he cussed did come to weightlifting. he is'nt just taking it out on the ones who didnt weightlifting. you dont no whats going on so don't say anything. theirs more than what you no going on with him at AHS not just on the field but in the classroom to.

Let's see "ADNINISTRATOR" "Our point is --Abingdon SUCKS" - "Must be LOTS of those at Abingdon from the sound of it" - Since you are attacking the posters personally and you don't know the facts about OUR girls, "Yea I did it ONE year and that was enough" What's the matter couldn't YOU take it you big hide behind the computer ADMINISTRATOR. OH by the way what does the G stand for GAY MAN. You are a great ADINISTRATOR Keep up the good work!!!!!

Everyone keeps coming on here saying "you don't know the whole story." If we don't know the whole story will someone please tell it then. As far as we know it is the whole story.