Pocahontas Closing from the BDT...

GMan

[ QUOTE ]

yea and the majority of that 44,000 are the snobs and stuck up people pocy is talking about...anyway you look at it the western part of the county look down on the eastern part...also i was wondering why arent they closing tazewell...pocy was accredited however big ol' tazewell from what i hear is not after last years SOLS...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is being snobby? Just stating the facts. You obviously are not a taxpayer. And SOL's have nothing to do with it. But then again when you have a 5-1 student to teacher ratio you should have better test scores.....What is the student/teacher ratio at the other 3 high schools? 10-1 maybe? You should do more homework on the situation before you speak.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

yea and the majority of that 44,000 are the snobs and stuck up people pocy is talking about...anyway you look at it the western part of the county look down on the eastern part...also i was wondering why arent they closing tazewell...pocy was accredited however big ol' tazewell from what i hear is not after last years SOLS...

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is being snobby? Just stating the facts. You obviously are not a taxpayer. And SOL's have nothing to do with it. But then again when you have a 5-1 student to teacher ratio you should have better test scores.....What is the student/teacher ratio at the other 3 high schools? 10-1 maybe? You should do more homework on the situation before you speak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, you are making some great points...let me tell you. ::rolls eyes::

So, let me get this straight, you say that since the test scores at other schools are not good becuase of high student to teacher ratios...then we should raise the student to teacher ratios at these schools by adding the students from Pocahontas. Yeah, you all sure have the best intrest of the students in mind...dont you? HAHA...oh the hypocracy!

I think we have found the "Dumbest Post of the Day" award winner.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So, let me get this straight, you say that since the test scores at other schools are not good becuase of high student to teacher ratios...then we should raise the student to teacher ratios at these schools by adding the students from Pocahontas. Yeah, you all sure have the best intrest of the students in mind...dont you? HAHA...oh the hypocracy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh......the champion of the Pocahontas cause. Either we need to correct the situation by closing this school down, or employ enough teachers to educate students in other parts of the county as you are over there. You are from Richlands, have you looked at the school budget from 2007? Apparantly not, if you have you would know it costs us taxpayers 15,238 a child at Pocy versus 3,750 at Richlands,5,500 at Tazewell, and 5,600 per child at Graham.Look it up, that is the general fund expenditures for the school system. 1.6 Million for 105 students at Pocy,3.0 Million for 800 students at Richlands, 3.3 Million for 600 students at Tazewell, and 2.8 Million for 500 students at Graham. So basically your kids are shortchanged to the tune of 11,488 dollars a year. So how is this for dumbest post of the year? Your tax dollars at work.......

the school board doesnt care about the eastern side of the county...graham high is falling into a sink hole...their solution..new heating and air conditioning....while richlands and tazewell get the majority of the money for what ever they want.....i have felt the new heat...it doesnt work....so therefore i believe that they should take the money their saving from pocy and keep in in the eastern part of the county...GRAHAM...if we only had half the facilities THS and RHS have

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh......the champion of the Pocahontas cause. Either we need to correct the situation by closing this school down, or employ enough teachers to educate students in other parts of the county as you are over there. You are from Richlands, have you looked at the school budget from 2007? Apparantly not, if you have you would know it costs us taxpayers 15,238 a child at Pocy versus 3,750 at Richlands,5,500 at Tazewell, and 5,600 per child at Graham.Look it up, that is the general fund expenditures for the school system. 1.6 Million for 105 students at Pocy,3.0 Million for 800 students at Richlands, 3.3 Million for 600 students at Tazewell, and 2.8 Million for 500 students at Graham. So basically your kids are shortchanged to the tune of 11,488 dollars a year. So how is this for dumbest post of the year? Your tax dollars at work.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said Im for the "Pocahontas Cause". I am however, for the students at Pocahontas! And Im for calling out people for making dumb posts...and you happen to make a lot of them so you get a lot of my attention. I have not said once that the school board made the wrong decision. Do I hate the decision...yes, was it the wrong one...probably not. If you would read my other posts regarding the subject then you would already know that I accept the fact that the closing of Pocahontas will benifit the county. I just hate when people like you act like complete asses about it and not even take into account that this is efffecting 185 children and thier futures! All you all see are the $$$....how about we still rememeber who this is for....the kids!!

[ QUOTE ]

the school board doesnt care about the eastern side of the county...graham high is falling into a sink hole...their solution..new heating and air conditioning....while richlands and tazewell get the majority of the money for what ever they want.....i have felt the new heat...it doesnt work....so therefore i believe that they should take the money their saving from pocy and keep in in the eastern part of the county...GRAHAM...if we only had half the facilities THS and RHS have

[/ QUOTE ]

What has Richlands and Tazewell gotten extra money for? RHS dosnt even have AC. Beides the fieldhouse, which was way over due anyway, what has the county given us. The couny didint even fund all the field house, it was funded largely by fundraising and donations. Im not sure how much the county contributed, but it wasnt completly funded. And we all know that the field turf isnt being funded by the county.

I go to RHS, THS, and PHS every week. And to be honest PHS is in just as good fo condition as RHS and THS. It is smaller and older, but the building is nice. Also, RMS is rumored to be falling apart.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said Im for the "Pocahontas Cause". I am however, for the students at Pocahontas! And Im for calling out people for making dumb posts...and you happen to make a lot of them so you get a lot of my attention. I have not said once that the school board made the wrong decision. Do I hate the decision...yes, was it the wrong one...probably not. If you would read my other posts regarding the subject then you would already know that I accept the fact that the closing of Pocahontas will benifit the county. I just hate when people like you act like complete asses about it and not even take into account that this is efffecting 185 children and thier futures! All you all see are the $$$....how about we still rememeber who this is for....the kids!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I care about the kids. I care about 1,900 other kids in TC that are getting shortchanged on their education to the tune of 10,000 per kid on average.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I care about the kids. I care about 1,900 other kids in TC that are getting shortchanged on their education to the tune of 10,000 per kid on average.

[/ QUOTE ]

As do I. But that dosnt mean you should be so inconsiderate to the feelings of the kids that are going through this at Pocahontas.

the field house was over due...what other school as a field house surely not graham nor pocy...and you should take a trip to graham and look at the measurements in the stair way that show the movement...and the cracks in every wall...the county needs to take the money they get from closing pocy (if it is all that they say it is) and use it to improve graham...GHS is not big enough as is to hold the students we have...it is to the point where we are denying wv residents to pay to come to school at graham...

[ QUOTE ]

the field house was over due...what other school as a field house surely not graham nor pocy...and you should take a trip to graham and look at the measurements in the stair way that show the movement...and the cracks in every wall...the county needs to take the money they get from closing pocy (if it is all that they say it is) and use it to improve graham...GHS is not big enough as is to hold the students we have...it is to the point where we are denying wv residents to pay to come to school at graham...

[/ QUOTE ]

The county dosnt allow WV students to attend any of the schools anymore.

Graham dosn't have a field house...because they dont have a field. Im sure Graham loves playing at Mitchell Stadium... it is a great facility.

Why would Pocahontas get a new field house? That is the least of their worries right now.

I hope they do use the money to improve GHS, I have heard that they really need it. However, I'm sure GHS is plenty big enough to handle the students they have now plus the students coming from PHS. Condsidering their drop off in enrollment over the years, they once had 150 more students in the same school, and they oviously had enough room.

But to be honest, I think the county is holding off for a few more years until the other side of the county is ready to consolidate and then we will have Tazewell County East and Tazewell County West High Schools. I just dont think right now that the enrollments at Richlands and Tazewell are low enough to call for a consolidation of them. I think they will do some renovations on GHS, but the new school will probably wait a little longer while the county gets together the plan for countywide consolidation.

more than likely he is complaining because some have to share lockers...no big deal...the lockers are PLENTY big to share a locker with someone...Graham has PLENTY of room..just need improvements here and there...

The figures that you speak of are based on percentages and will not add up to any real savings. To my knowledge only seven of the teachers currently employed at PHS will be released (some of which are long term subs). The rest have jobs elsewhere in the county. That means that their salaries and the total instructional costs will follow these students where ever they go (no savings). The subject of saving money by closing the school can be interpreted in many ways, but will not reflect any real money being saved. Again the local monies (local tax base) make up a small fraction of the cost to keep the school open, so it is not a "drain" on local taxpayers. The real issue (my opinion) is this. In Dr Lawson's tenure as Superintendent she has yet to install a lasting legacy (other than rampant waste of the budgeted money). Closing the schools on her list and consolidating (if you can really call this consolidating) is her last great attempt. Raven will be next on the list, then Springville. The 11 acres that the School Board bought in Springville will be earmarked for a new high school for the Bluefield area (that will cost the taxpayers because the County Board of Supervisors will have to dole out some money and the citizens will be the source of those monies). That will close Graham High. Does anyone think that the new school will be named GHS? Very doubtful and I am sure that will not be favored by the residents of Bluefield Va. I have tired of “Money†being the principle cause for closing the school when, if you look at the big picture, it accounts for a small fraction of the budget.

Guest JJBrickface

"Free Pocahontas"

John Smith, calling John Smith...

like 3 or 4 teachers are having to share rooms in order to have class...depending on which teachers have planning certain periods...and if i remember right a year or two ago the county made a big fuss about the renting of mitchell stadium...yet I didnt see any ideas on building us a stadium

[ QUOTE ]

The figures that you speak of are based on percentages and will not add up to any real savings. To my knowledge only seven of the teachers currently employed at PHS will be released (some of which are long term subs). The rest have jobs elsewhere in the county. That means that their salaries and the total instructional costs will follow these students where ever they go (no savings). The subject of saving money by closing the school can be interpreted in many ways, but will not reflect any real money being saved. Again the local monies (local tax base) make up a small fraction of the cost to keep the school open, so it is not a "drain" on local taxpayers. The real issue (my opinion) is this. In Dr Lawson's tenure as Superintendent she has yet to install a lasting legacy (other than rampant waste of the budgeted money). Closing the schools on her list and consolidating (if you can really call this consolidating) is her last great attempt. Raven will be next on the list, then Springville. The 11 acres that the School Board bought in Springville will be earmarked for a new high school for the Bluefield area (that will cost the taxpayers because the County Board of Supervisors will have to dole out some money and the citizens will be the source of those monies). That will close Graham High. Does anyone think that the new school will be named GHS? Very doubtful and I am sure that will not be favored by the residents of Bluefield Va. I have tired of “Money†being the principle cause for closing the school when, if you look at the big picture, it accounts for a small fraction of the budget.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually with teachers retiring, and positions being filled by the teachers we currently have instead of new hires they are saving money. But people can look at things different ways sometimes. As for closing down to two schools think of it this way. Do you ever see a day when they take half the kids from the county seat and ship them east to go to school, and ship the other half west to go to school? I sure don't, not with the politics in this county. There will always be three high schools in Tazewell County, unless Pocahontas somehow gets saved. Then there will be four, because there will never be another county school shut down if they win the fight.

thats ALWAYS happened...its not a big deal...teachers are gonna share rooms...that has NOTHING to do with the school not being big enough...there is enough room for students right?

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually with teachers retiring, and positions being filled by the teachers we currently have instead of new hires they are saving money. But people can look at things different ways sometimes. As for closing down to two schools think of it this way. Do you ever see a day when they take half the kids from the county seat and ship them east to go to school, and ship the other half west to go to school? I sure don't, not with the politics in this county. There will always be three high schools in Tazewell County, unless Pocahontas somehow gets saved. Then there will be four, because there will never be another county school shut down if they win the fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are in for a rude awakening in a few years... Tazewell county can and will consolidate the other schools in the not so distant future. They are just testing the waters with Pocahontas...we will ALL have our day. Oh when the tables are turned...

[ QUOTE ]

thats ALWAYS happened...its not a big deal...teachers are gonna share rooms...that has NOTHING to do with the school not being big enough...there is enough room for students right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly Beano. Richlands has more students than GHS and probably around the same size school. If GHS was built based on the enrollment at the time it was built, then it was probably built to hold about 30% more students than it currently has.

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

Study your history! It was Pocahontas that saved John Smith.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea but is this named John Smith high school? Pocahontas needs to be freed, not John Smith! Get it? Got it? Good!