Pocahontas Closing from the BDT...

GMan

[ QUOTE ]

...but i am worried that with pocy gone and graham the only school on this side of the county...that the sb will turn its back on us much like they did with pocy the last couple of years

[/ QUOTE ]

As you should be. Pocahontas was just the tester school. The school board wanted to see how things went with them, so now they no what to expect when they consolidate the other schools. Heck, if GHS is in such bad condition, they should go ahead and build a new school. How does "Tazewell County West High School" sound?

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

...but i am worried that with pocy gone and graham the only school on this side of the county...that the sb will turn its back on us much like they did with pocy the last couple of years

[/ QUOTE ]

As you should be. Pocahontas was just the tester school. The school board wanted to see how things went with them, so now they no what to expect when they consolidate the other schools. Heck, if GHS is in such bad condition, they should go ahead and build a new school. How does "Tazewell County West High School" sound?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good to me...we need a new high school on this end of the county. The question is how are half the students in Tazewell going to feel about being shipped there???

As for this being a "tester"...you're right. And now that the TCSB has seen what a fight they've had with the tiny town of Pocahontas and its residents...it has taken over twenty years to get this issue pushed through...do you REALLY think they want to fight three much larger municipalities to close their schools. I've got a feeling it will be a LONG time before we see this happen. But, I could be wrong...

yea the most money per student and the worst school...like i said in the very beginning i dont think they should have closed pocy....and if you remember i said IF there is a large amount of money which i highly doubt ..it should stay here...so no comment about lowering yourself to argue with a junior

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good to me...we need a new high school on this end of the county. The question is how are half the students in Tazewell going to feel about being shipped there???

As for this being a "tester"...you're right. And now that the TCSB has seen what a fight they've had with the tiny town of Pocahontas and its residents...it has taken over twenty years to get this issue pushed through...do you REALLY think they want to fight three much larger municipalities to close their schools. I've got a feeling it will be a LONG time before we see this happen. But, I could be wrong...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it will be sooner than we all think. Not in the next five years, but possibly in the next ten.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Good. No track practice for Eugene. lol

[/ QUOTE ]Actually I just found out that I might have a tennis match haha and the girls have a softball game tomorrow too

[/ QUOTE ]

What time and where are the Tennis match and softball game?

[ QUOTE ]

yea the most money per student and the worst school...like i said in the very beginning i dont think they should have closed pocy....and if you remember i said IF there is a large amount of money which i highly doubt ..it should stay here...so no comment about lowering yourself to argue with a junior

[/ QUOTE ]

ok now you really have no idea what you are talking about...the worst school?? come on Froy...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it will be sooner than we all think. Not in the next five years, but possibly in the next ten.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fight may begin within the next ten years but it will be much longer before anything is decided or done.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fight may begin within the next ten years but it will be much longer before anything is decided or done.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the talk will pick up after the next census (2010) data tells us just how many people have emigrated from Tazewell County.

You are absolutely correct. If studies show that decreasing population and workforce are the trend for the next 15 to 20 years, I believe you will see action with in five years. I have been wrong before though.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It would sound pretty good, because it would be in Pounding Mill.....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha... Actually I would like to see an new one go up in Pounding Mill. But I meant East.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha... Actually I would like to see an new one go up in Pounding Mill. But I meant East.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I was just tryin to get you fired up.....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok now you really have no idea what you are talking about...the worst school?? come on Froy...

[/ QUOTE ]

im talking about condition wise...all the graham schools could use some renovations....

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

im talking about condition wise...all the graham schools could use some renovations....

[/ QUOTE ]

Do yuo not realize that all the schools are OLD. They are all in need of renovations!! I have heard that RMS is built on a carvern as well, and that the school will eventually have to be torn down. Now, I dont know if that is the truth or not...but either way all the county schools need renovations...not just GHS!

[ QUOTE ]

Always keep in mind that Tazewell Co. newest schools are all around 30 years old. The high schools are all around 50. They do show their age.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Richlands opened in 51,Tazewell in 54,Graham in 57, and Pocahontas in 60. The last new school built in the county as far as I know was Graham Middle School which opened in the spring of 81.

ok then that shows the need for new schools...not just another coat of paint on the old ones...i never said that the other schools couldnt use some maintenance....i simply said that i..along with many of the people who work and attend graham schools....think the money should stay here....

Guest JJBrickface

[ QUOTE ]

ok then that shows the need for new schools...not just another coat of paint on the old ones...i never said that the other schools couldnt use some maintenance....i simply said that i..along with many of the people who work and attend graham schools....think the money should stay here....

[/ QUOTE ]

NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

ok then fine....let the money go to all the schools EQUALLY...but the chances are with the school board being biased and all....tazewell and richlands will see more money per school than graham schools will....and within the next ten -fifteen years...they will turn their backs on graham just like they did pocy

bias?? how so?? they fund GRAHAM every year to play at Mitchell...Graham just got new computers a few years back...Graham gets new books every now and then...the school board is NOT biased against Graham...dont you forget...Gary Williams is on the board...the old principal from Graham...get your facts straight once again Froy

And he never sat on the Board. He was the assistant Sup. If people have been paying attention to the news then everybody would know that the money "saved" from closing the school has already managed to be absorbed into the budget. A budget that the school board now wants to increase to cover more of the renovations, teacher raises and so forth. There is no money to divy out to any school. Those funds will be placed in a general account(as so ,the BOS cannot ask where it will be spent)and earmarked for future contingencies.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course the people at Graham think the money should stay there....but I guess they arent biased at all, are they?