Bluefield WVA @ Gate City VA

Jason

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be a very competitive game overall.

The injuries bluefield's team has do infact change the game considerably. Not only does lilly replace the qb but that forfeits his play as an rb, receiver or blocker, although we know he'll run the ball a lot from the qb position. But I'm not certain sandlot style football can be counted on, they'll likely have to devise some sort of o scheme with actual plays. I expect they will though, they've had 2 weeks and the advantage with that is whatever they come up with noone has seen, so gate city doesn't really have any way to prepare on the d side of the ball because it's anyone's guess really what bluefield will do.

It's hard to say if patterson will play or if he's 100%, that's a difference maker on o. It's big for punt returns to. On d not so much, patterson can be replaced in the secondary without hardly any drop off, especially against a team that doesn't pass that much. If they do pass more,, bluefield has the athletes in the secondary to make up for it.

Their d should be in top form. Considering a slow start they still held a high powered ccds team to only 2 tds and they've played really strong d overall so far in their 4 games..

The game being played down there is a considerable advantage for them, gc, based on what I've been reading here..

Bluefield has a great tradition and excellent coaching staff and a bunch of players who do believe in what their program is all about. I also believe that Bluefield will find a way to be WV State AA Champions again this year. But, I don't think they can pull this one off this week. But the good news is it will be their last loss of the season.

This will be a huge challenge for GC. If we hold on to the ball and can control the clock, then I'll give us a shot. If not, it may get ugly.

You underestimate your team.... They will do just fine against Bluefield, should be a barn burner...and why not schedule Bluefield for Homecoming? Bluefield should be just as concerned about Gate City as Gate City is about Bluefield. Two different styles of play, but two very solid teams. If Patterson is back, I'd give Bluefield the advantage, but you can never count out "The Gate" at Legion field.

Not underestimating them at all. Before the season if you had told me we would be 4-1 with our schedule, I would've handed you a drug test. If we can move the football and not turn it over, we'll be in good shape. We've got alot of young kids seeing playing time. I have no doubt they'll give it their best.

Bluefield has a great tradition and excellent coaching staff and a bunch of players who do believe in what their program is all about. I also believe that Bluefield will find a way to be WV State AA Champions again this year. But, I don't think they can pull this one off this week. But the good news is it will be their last loss of the season.

I don't know much about WV football and it's play-off system, but if they are good enough to repeat as AA State Champions, why wouldn't they be able to beat a single A team in Virginia?

Look at the enrollment. Bluefield has 150 to 165 less kids than GC. Bluefield would only be middle of the road as far as enrollment in Region D Div. 2 in VA.
but they have more athletes in those halls than some AAA schools. enrollment doesn't matter.

Look at the enrollment. Bluefield has 150 to 165 less kids than GC. Bluefield would only be middle of the road as far as enrollment in Region D Div. 2 in VA.

Isn't the count different between WV and VA schools. Don't count 9th or something like that?

Edited by thundercloud

Isn't the count different between WV and VA schools different. Don't count 9th or something like that?

West Virginia classification is based on enrollment in grades 9-11. The total enrollment for Bluefield, grades 9-12, is between 650-700.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

The long, wet grass of Legion Field will negate Bluefield's speed advantage. The question is, can Gate City stop Jake Lilly? He's very much like another Jake that played for the Blue Devils 10 years or so ago...and I think the GC fans will notice this and appreciate his effort, win or lose.

This will be a huge challenge for GC. If we hold on to the ball and can control the clock, then I'll give us a shot. If not, it may get ugly.

That's pretty much what I'm thinking. Gate City has a puncher's chance. But my gut tells me Bluefield just has too much speed, even in the tall grass at Legion Field.

If Gate City can get three yards a carry they will take it and keep Bluefield's offense off the field in the process. The speed Bluefield has on defense won't be much of a factor. They need to be able to stop the runner where he's hit and not let him plow forward for an extra yard or two. If they can do that then Gate City will have a lot of three & outs.

On offense, as long as Bluefield doesn't make too many mistakes they should be able to score.

This looks like a 28-0 game to me with the points being spread fairly even over all four quarters.

Anyone who remembers the old days of smash mouth football will enjoy watching Gate City. Everything they do, even the way they warm up, will take you back to the eighties.

Anyone who remembers the old days of smash mouth football will enjoy watching Gate City. Everything they do, even the way they warm up, will take you back to the eighties.

That's pretty true because it is basically the same "warmup" process they have done probably since the 70's. Honestly though i never put much on warmups...seen too many teams that after seeing them warmup i thought were world beaters and then when the ball was kicked off they got their ass handed to them and vice versa.

As far as the game, i see bluefield winning but not by 4tds.

This pregame hype reminds me of the '03 title game between GC and Essex. Essex had too much speed, talent, GC cant handle the spread and so on. Granted this isnt the '03 GC team but if GC plays thier game,executes, and doesnt turn the ball over it should be "hum dinger" "slobberknockin" "hellavu" game.

Good Luck to both teams and hope all the Bluefield fans travel safely.

Edited by BiGBiLL