Congrats Richlands

battleftbl

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All i know is that there was a reason why our band was on the field before the game and there band was given the halftime show. They were without a doubt the best band i have seen play in years and im not sure how you would judge a band competition but if the band we seen from martinsville is no good then ill take that crappy band over a band that wins alot. The fans dont care about the Richlands band as much as they used to because the band stopped caring about the football team they dont come to away games they do not sound as good as they used to and in the state championship the biggest game for the football team and this town they only send like half of the band the band has stepped out on there own and thats fine but DO NOT come on here complaining about people spit in the face of the band and all of that crap when we say that martinsvilles band is 100 times better than ours as far as i am concerned the band spit in the face of the Blues and there fans years ago.

All i know is that there was a reason why our band was on the field before the game and there band was given the halftime show. They were without a doubt the best band i have seen play in years and im not sure how you would judge a band competition but if the band we seen from martinsville is no good then ill take that crappy band over a band that wins alot. The fans dont care about the Richlands band as much as they used to because the band stopped caring about the football team they dont come to away games they do not sound as good as they used to and in the state championship the biggest game for the football team and this town they only send like half of the band the band has stepped out on there own and thats fine but DO NOT come on here complaining about people spit in the face of the band and all of that crap when we say that martinsvilles band is 100 times better than ours as far as i am concerned the band spit in the face of the Blues and there fans years ago.

That's not the reason that the fans don't care about the Richlands band.

We all know the reason the fans don't care about the Richlands band...

You have taken this band thing too far. Martinsville's band rocked the house. Everyone enjoyed the show. I am not trying to seem disrespectful, but, when was the last time 5,000 people showed up to a band competition. And it is different in "band." Why, you may ask. Because "band" is not a sport. Once again, I am not trying to be disrespectful. There is no doubt that band members work hard. But to compare it to football is simply ridiculous. I have never seen a band member suffer a concussion, bleed during a performance, or suffer broken bones. I remember during a JV football game, one of our running backs got his finger broken during the game. He came to the sideline, taped it to the next finger and went back into the game. Ever seen that in a band competition?

To summarize my point, 99% of the people that attend football games could care less about a "competition band" Football fans like bands that "raise hell." That is exactly what the Bulldog band did. And 99% of the fans there liked, no, loved it. And if that is what you call s***. Then give me s*** every week.

I did however think that they were disrespectful when they started playing during the moment of silence. But I think it may have been a miscommunication and not intended as disrespect. Just my two cents.

Google DCI, then tell me that band's not a "sport"...

You can polish S*** all day long and its still S***. They overblew. There werent together or in time with one another. Everyone on here basically just spit in the face of any band member currently in band, or that worked our asses off in the past. In football, your out to win. In basketball your out to win. In every sport in the world you are out to win. Its no different in band. You go out and to what you have to do to win. What if every football team in the area ran the same offense as Richlands. Its flashy, but it dosnt work for everyone. I was in marching band from the Summer of 2003 to the Winter of 2007. I know for a fact some of the shows we did that didnt feature "rock tunes", warranted a standing ovation from our crowds, opponents crowds, and competition crowds. Im not sure of a night my 8th grade year, The Colors Show, that people didnt go crazy in the stands 3 to 5 times in the show. I just dont understand how anyone from this town can try to cut down the kinds in our band like that.

Freaking preach it, brother!

Edited by UVAObserver

You can polish S*** all day long and its still S***. They overblew. There werent together or in time with one another. Everyone on here basically just spit in the face of any band member currently in band, or that worked our asses off in the past. In football, your out to win. In basketball your out to win. In every sport in the world you are out to win. Its no different in band. You go out and to what you have to do to win. What if every football team in the area ran the same offense as Richlands. Its flashy, but it dosnt work for everyone. I was in marching band from the Summer of 2003 to the Winter of 2007. I know for a fact some of the shows we did that didnt feature "rock tunes", warranted a standing ovation from our crowds, opponents crowds, and competition crowds. Im not sure of a night my 8th grade year, The Colors Show, that people didnt go crazy in the stands 3 to 5 times in the show. I just dont understand how anyone from this town can try to cut down the kinds in our band like that.

who peed in your cherios

i'm biased, of course, but martinsville's band is basically the only one i ever pay much attention to. they're loud and they're entertaining. they play recognizable music and will drop the instruments and start dancing at a moment's notice. most bands can hardly be heard from the bleachers. those competition-type bands are way too serious for my tastes...they look like robots on the field and seldom play tunes anyone would ever recognize.

as far as the game and the future.....it went about as i expected, although i didn't quite think richlands would score much more than 50. i was wrong. martinsville only loses 5 or 6 guys that played much. they lose the starting qb (which willl hurt the most) and a few guys along both lines.

Edited by mhsalum

........ those competition-type bands are way too serious for my tastes...they look like robots on the field and seldom play tunes anyone would ever recognize.

I agree. I guess those of us who really got a kick out the the Martinsville band should apologize for being entertained.

100% agree about the band comparisons. Competition bands just dont cut it on Friday nights. Not against competition bands, as they work hard to play their type of music....just might as well not show up on Friday nights though. The band at John Battle is great, however not a good sporting event band.

Congrats to the Richlands football team....yes, this thread has kinda morphed...but sometimes that is the case on here.

The Richlands band has "chosen" the route of being a competition band ...not a "showtime" band....it is what it is!!! Everything Ryan said is true about the intricacies of a Richlands' performance; however, MOST fans at a football game are usually not as knowledgeable about this type of band performance and the skill level required.

Let's face it....a football game evokes "raw" emotions from fans and from the players on the field. Therefore, when halftime arrives those emotions haven't dissipated and the best competition band EVER will usually not assuage those "raw" feelings.

You could possibly compare it to an operatic performance vs. a "rock" band performance. Most should know to some extent the training it takes to reach the operatic level ..... many of the rock bands are mainly loud instruments and voices not on par with the refined, professionally trained musicians. That being said....what does the majority trend toward....EASILY.....the loud, familiar, identifiable performance.

This performance rated highly with me at this game I attended.....:D

You really think that the band just quit going to away games because they decided they didn't want to? Has it ever crossed your mind that travel expenses have gone out the roof, and budgets have been cut for many school programs...not to mention fund raising in a poor economy is not as effective.

I didn't get to watch the Martinville Band's halftime show, but I did see parts of it from the television in the concession stand, and I must say I was impressed with some of the formations that I saw. However, if I would have seen the show, in its entirety, I may not have been as impressed. But I can see why the average fan would be entertained by a show like that, and to be completely honest, it entertains me. But I still can tell a entertaining show from a well preformed competition show.

The thing is...you can do both. Richlands did it for years with the Christmas show, the Civil War show, The Planets, The Colors Show, and even the Racing Show. But it seems like since then the shows have slowed down so much that its hard to keep halftime crowd engaged.

Edited by BigBlueAlum

You have taken this band thing too far. Martinsville's band rocked the house. Everyone enjoyed the show. I am not trying to seem disrespectful, but, when was the last time 5,000 people showed up to a band competition. And it is different in "band." Why, you may ask. Because "band" is not a sport. Once again, I am not trying to be disrespectful. There is no doubt that band members work hard. But to compare it to football is simply ridiculous. I have never seen a band member suffer a concussion, bleed during a performance, or suffer broken bones. I remember during a JV football game, one of our running backs got his finger broken during the game. He came to the sideline, taped it to the next finger and went back into the game. Ever seen that in a band competition?

I have seen 5000 people at a band competition before. So dont start that until youve been to a big competition. As UVAObserver said, go to youtube and type in DCI. Hell, Ill give you the link to the best show ever. Here is the 2nd half of it

Highest scoring show ever. And, since "5000 people dont go to band competitions, watch at the 4:25 second mark. They show a show of the crowd, of around 20000. Also, I know of several people who have gotten hurt in band. Ive been bloodied by arrant flags, other instruments, etc...I also partially tore my MCL at a competition in Charlottesville my Junior year. And I know plenty of my friends who can say they have been hurt in some sort of way. So dont come on here and say people dont get hurt and noone comes to competitions.

Also, the band played pre-game because Martinsville was caught in a wreck and didnt know if they would get here in time. The band didnt go to the Gate City and Lebanon games because Ms. WEBB wouldnt let them. Same reason they dont play much when we are on Defense. Ms Webb says its unsportsmanlike and refuses to let them play. Get the facts before you come on here.

Dang! Remind me not to complement a high school band performance. I can't believe this thread has gone from saying basically "Good job Martinsville Band" to this. Sheesh!

By the way, listening to the radio broadcast Dave and Quag were both blown away by the band's performance...just sayin'...

You really think that the band just quit going to away games because they decided they didn't want to? Has it ever crossed your mind that travel expenses have gone out the roof, and budgets have been cut for many school programs...not to mention fund raising in a poor economy is not as effective.

I didn't get to watch the Martinville Band's halftime show, but I did see parts of it from the television in the concession stand, and I must say I was impressed with some of the formations that I saw. However, if I would have seen the entire show, in its entirety, I may not have been as impressed. But I can see why the average fan would be entertained by a show like that, and too be completely honest, it entertains me. But I still can tell a entertaining show from a well preformed competition show.

The thing is...you can do both. Richlands did it for years with the Christmas show, the Civil War show, The Planets, The Colors Show, and even the Racing Show. But it seems like since then the shows have slowed down so much that its hard to keep halftime crowd engaged.

I concur with everything you just said.

Especially the last sentence of your second paragraph.

I have seen 5000 people at a band competition before. So dont start that until youve been to a big competition. As UVAObserver said, go to youtube and type in DCI. Hell, Ill give you the link to the best show ever. Here is the 2nd half of it
Highest scoring show ever. And, since "5000 people dont go to band competitions, watch at the 4:25 second mark. They show a show of the crowd, of around 20000. Also, I know of several people who have gotten hurt in band. Ive been bloodied by arrant flags, other instruments, etc...I also partially tore my MCL at a competition in Charlottesville my Junior year. And I know plenty of my friends who can say they have been hurt in some sort of way. So dont come on here and say people dont get hurt and noone comes to competitions.

Also, the band played pre-game because Martinsville was caught in a wreck and didnt know if they would get here in time. The band didnt go to the Gate City and Lebanon games because Ms. WEBB wouldnt let them. Same reason they dont play much when we are on Defense. Ms Webb says its unsportsmanlike and refuses to let them play. Get the facts before you come on here.

I've sprained my ankle...twice.

I've got a big scar over my left eye from being hit with a horn.

I've got a banged-up saxophone from a flag girl who got too close.

I've bloodied my lip several times after splitting it playing brass on cold days. I've got a picture after the 2005 Music City Bowl, and it shows me and what looks like a red goatee. It's not a red goatee...

This has officially became the worst post I've ever started. lol

Band: The Warriors of Fall. ESPN exclusive coming soon.

Sorry UVAObserver....I had to poke a little fun. Band members practice just as much as any sport, and probably more. I know alot of hard work goes into it.

I have tried to just keep my mouth shut but I guess RYAN just won't let it go. The Martinsville band gets it and you guys don't (director or who picks music). It is a FOOTBALL GAME and you are there to entertain the FOOTBALL FANS. Richlands band does not get it and Martinsville band does. Also Richlands band has even ruined the National Anthem (SSB). What is that crap at the end. Not how it was written. Some morons new interpretation. Just listen this week FOOTBALL FANS and see if you would just not like the National Anthem the way it was written. Just my opinion and I am entitled to one as you are. They are like a$$holes and everyone has one. No spitting involved, just the truth. You got you're opinion and now you know mine.

I didn't get to make the trip last Friday, long story , BUT I'M COMING THIS ONE. (Maybe, we have family coming in for turkey). But, if you guys think there is a better band in Virginia than the Mighty Falcon Marching Band - then ole Falconman has to call B.S. on that one. Our band has laid the smack down on other bands including the Naders. I just don't think there is a better one in Virginia - just my humble and unbiased opinion! :p

Edited by Falconman

Yeah, I was at the game Friday night and Martinsburg's band was really good. I thought they were going to win early in the game too. I have to admit that I kind of got excited in the 1st quarter. My hat is off to Richlands they are a little better than I first thought. They have to play Cave Springs this week though, so I would say their season is over. I overheard some of their own people say they would lose this week. Wow!

I have tried to just keep my mouth shut but I guess RYAN just won't let it go. The Martinsville band gets it and you guys don't (director or who picks music). It is a FOOTBALL GAME and you are there to entertain the FOOTBALL FANS. Richlands band does not get it and Martinsville band does. Also Richlands band has even ruined the National Anthem (SSB). What is that crap at the end. Not how it was written. Some morons new interpretation. Just listen this week FOOTBALL FANS and see if you would just not like the National Anthem the way it was written. Just my opinion and I am entitled to one as you are. They are like a$$holes and everyone has one. No spitting involved, just the truth. You got you're opinion and now you know mine.

I have to agree Gizmo the band had played the National Anthem the same way for over 25+ year that I know of and this year they changed the way they play it. I will always stand for the Anthem when it is played but I wish they would go back to playing it the way they use to.

" Also, I know of several people who have gotten hurt in band. Ive been bloodied by arrant flags, other instruments, etc...I also partially tore my MCL at a competition in Charlottesville my Junior year."

That reminds me......one time at band camp......I was bloodied by an arrant flag. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

" Also, I know of several people who have gotten hurt in band. Ive been bloodied by arrant flags, other instruments, etc...I also partially tore my MCL at a competition in Charlottesville my Junior year."

That reminds me......one time at band camp......I was bloodied by an arrant flag. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's original!! I'm sure that no one that has participated in the band has EVER heard that one!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!