State Championship: Richlands vs Poquoson

Nadoball

because everyone is out to get Richlands and keep them from winning a 2A state championship in va high school football? wow, get over yourselves, the refs were not "out to get Richlands" as you have made it seem, of course you are going to say they were bogus because they were against your team.

Exactly

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta say, I'm really disappointed by this thread.

SWVAfootball, you take the cake. It takes SKILL to put together a paragraph where every sentence shows your lack of understanding...

"has anyone stopped to think that perhaps it was not the officiating that made bad calls, but that richlands was just playing undiciplined football? not to say that there weren't any bad calls, but none that directly affected the outcome. No one was on the field to see the entire play like the refs., they didn't just throw the flags for the heck of it. They saw something that appeared to them to be a flag so they called it. "

I'm disappointed that no one has post a clip of some of the plays, like the wrong-way PoI call.

But what disappoints me most is that no one (?) has brought up the anti-SW VA slant the refs have historically had at state.

http://www.timesnews.net/print_article.php?id=3708642

http://swvasports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7471

Spot on. Those two links prove exactly what I have been saying. And it has been going on for years. Some of you can bury your heads in the sand if you choose, but there is a definite bias in State Championship games against teams in our area, and it has been going on for a long time.

Edited by blueinbama

it's amazing that richlands won in 06 with the refs out to get them and everything!

Yeah, you’re right. It’s just everyone’s imagination. All those games everyone has complained about (which includes every team in Southwest Virginia) have been called on the up-and-up. After all, how in the world could anyone believe any fine upstanding football official could have a bias toward Southwest Virginia? Why that’s just ridiculous. We’re all just ignorant rednecks and hillbillies. My bad.

Edited by blueinbama

As a lifetime Blues fan it saddens me to see some of the posting on this thread. The officials have always been biased towards SWV teams and most likely always will be, and we all know that, so we have to deal with it year in and year out, but we should know by now that complaining does no good. I would like to say congrads to Poquoson for their victory, and congrads to the Blues for the 13 & 1 season.

I don't know if the officials realize how much they interupted the flow of the game for both teams or not, but usually when you get into the Championship game, these little pitty-patty calls they were making are disregarded. I have officiated some sports, and yeah you may see an infraction of the rules, but does it have anything to do with the flow of the play, and if you call every little thing how is it going to interupt the flow of the game?

I have actually told players that I saw them commit an infraction and if I saw it again I would call it, but that usually took care of it, and did not interup the flow of the game.

Did the best team win, who knows for sure? This game was impacted by the officials so much that in the end no one actually wins. Yes Poquoson left with the trophy, and yes they deserved it, but did they actually beat the other team at their best, and I think that would be an emphatic NO, because of the interuptions of the pity-paty flags on both teams. I think thoe officials called stuff on both teams that should have never been called, and I wouldn't blame either team for being upset.

Poauoson players deserved to win as well as the Blues players, and both deserved to do so on an even playing field. I know it will never happen, but I think the VHSL should recognize what went on here, and call these officials out. Their actions affected both teams and they should be held accountable for it.

Once again I congraduate Poquoson on thier well deserved victory, and admire the Blues for their 13 & 1 season.

Guest The Variable
Yeah, you’re right. It’s just everyone’s imagination. All those games everyone has complained about (which includes every team in Southwest Virginia) have been called on the up-and-up. After all, how in the world could anyone believe any fine upstanding football official could have a bias toward Southwest Virginia? Why that’s just ridiculous. We’re all just ignorant rednecks and hillbillies. My bad.

This is embarassing. I know you and others have said "Not to take anything away from Poquoson, but..." However, when you say that, you actually DO take away from Poquoson, because you think that your team played better and lost only because it was at a disadvantage.

I went to the game, I also am from central virginia and my only affilliation to Poquoson is that my wife grew up there (PHS class of '02). I went with her and my father-in-law because I have never been to a state championship game before. The claims that the referees were terrible is an exaggeration. I saw some missed calls and questionable ones as well...for both sides. This isnt the NFL, so quit acting like the refs are pros. For those saying that the referees were intentionally trying to sabotage the Richlands team, you are completely out of your gourd. If that was the case, the onside kick would have been spot shy of the 10 yards (whether it did or did not go that far) and the two touchdown passes by Poquoson would not have been called back. There were some very easy ways that the refs could have put Richlands away, and they did not do any of them.

Why dont you just admit that the real reason that Poquoson won was because its defense did an outstanding job taking the Richlands gameplan away from them. I think if I understand things correctly, Richlands had only trailed once all season. Richlands was almost able to do that to Poquoson. The two teams, while very different, were very evenly matched and Poquoson just happened to play a little better that day. If you would stop crying about the officiating and just watch the game, it was actually a really exciting game to watch and you should be thankful. South East AND South West VA has good football, but as I said, I am from Central VA and our football programs are terrible.

I am glad to see that there are some honest Richland fans on this board who can just shake their heads and enjoy that they had a helluva season, that it was a shame to lose, but the ride was great and you cant wait until next season. Some of you need to realize that this is just a game, and a high school game at that.

Edited by The Variable

This is embarassing. I know you and others have said "Not to take anything away from Poquoson, but..." However, when you say that, you actually DO take away from Poquoson, because you think that your team played better and lost only because it was at a disadvantage.

I went to the game, I also am from central virginia and my only affilliation to Poquoson is that my wife grew up there. I went with her and my father-in-law because I have never been to a state championship game before. The claims that the referees were terrible is an exaggeration. I saw some missed calls and questionable ones as well...for both sides. This isnt the NFL, so quit acting like the refs are pros. For those saying that the referees were intentionally trying to sabotage the Richlands team, you are completely out of your gourd. If that was the case, the onside kick would have been spot shy of the 10 yards (whether it did or did not go that far) and the two touchdown passes by Poquoson would not have been called back. There were some very easy ways that the refs could have put Richlands away, and they did not do any of them.

Why dont you just admit that the real reason that Poquoson won was because its defense did an outstanding job taking the Richlands gameplan away from them. I think if I understand things correctly, Richlands had only trailed once all season. Richlands was almost able to do that to Poquoson. The two teams, while very different, were very evenly matched and Poquoson just happened to play a little better that day. If you would stop crying about the officiating and just watch the game, it was actually a really exciting game to watch and you should be thankful. South East AND South West VA has good football, but as I said, I am from Central VA and our football programs are terrible.

I am glad to see that there are some honest Richland fans on this board who can just shake their heads and enjoy that they had a helluva season, that it was a shame to lose, but the ride was great and you cant wait until next season. Some of you need to realize that this is just a game, and a high school game at that.

Wow. We’ve never heard that before...lol!

I saw the game. I know what I saw, and so do many others who complained about the officiating, including VHSL representatives who apologized to Richlands people after the game. Taking nothing away from the Poquoson team. They played great. But the officiating favored Poquoson. Check the stats.

Guest The Variable
Wow. We’ve never heard that before...lol!

I saw the game. I know what I saw, and so do many others who complained about the officiating, including VHSL representatives who apologized to Richlands people after the game. Taking nothing away from the Poquoson team. They played great. But the officiating favored Poquoson. Check the stats.

Ill probably wager that the VHSL reps were just appologizing to shut you up. Come talk when the VHSL releases a statement concerning the officiating...but dont hold your breath.

I am sure you saw the game, but from the tone of your posts, it is obvious that no matter what you would look for an excuse to say that Richlands was the better team. Saturday they were not. Your team has a lot of talent, but I was there too and I have ZERO bias. I dont care that this loss has ruined your life, I care about accuracy and sportsmanship and I have seen none of it from your posts. All I read is conspiracy theories and whining.

And I will check the stats, Poquoson had 2 touchdowns called back, Richlands had no scores called back. Math says 14 points to 0 that officiating favored Richlands.

Edited by The Variable

Ill probably wager that the VHSL reps were just appologizing to shut you up. Come talk when the VHSL releases a statement concerning the officiating...but dont hold your breath.

I am sure you saw the game, but from the tone of your posts, it is obvious that no matter what you would look for an excuse to say that Richlands was the better team. Saturday they were not. Your team has a lot of talent, but I was there too and I have ZERO bias. I dont care that this loss has ruined your life, I care about accuracy and sportsmanship and I have seen none of it from your posts. All I read is conspiracy theories and whining.

And I will check the stats, Poquoson had 2 touchdowns called back, Richlands had no scores called back. Math says 14 points to 0 that officiating favored Poquoson.

Be sure and see the discrepancy in penalty yards while you’re checking. If memory serves me correctly it was 170+ yards against Richlands vs 60+ for Poquoson. And check out that last drive where there were two bogus holding calls that prevented Richlands from having any chance of scoring, and Richlands was moving the ball at will at that point in the game.

You say you care about accuracy? But you obviously don’t apply that reasoning to football officials, because the officiating in this game was a travesty, and VHSL people admitted it...and no, they weren’t trying to shut anybody up, they approached Richlands people as they were leaving the game, and suggested they file a grievance. And we all know the VHSL is not going to do anything substantial. They never do. Maybe a slap on the wrist and a promise that it will never happen again, but those are just empty words. Those of us who have experienced this time and time again know that all too well. If you’re so gullible that you think things like this don’t happen in high school football, you’re delusional. It happens all the time, especially in Virginia.

Guest The Variable
Be sure and see the discrepancy in penalty yards while you’re checking. If memory serves me correctly it was 170+ yards against Richlands vs 60+ for Poquoson. And check out that last drive where there were two bogus holding calls that prevented Richlands from having any chance of scoring, and Richlands was moving the ball at will at that point in the game.

Again, 0 scores taken away. You said check the stats. Using your logic, then I can say that the only reason that the Oakland Raiders are not undefeated this season is because of bad officiating, it couldnt possibly be because of ACTUAL penalties. :rolleyes:

You say you care about accuracy? But you obviously don’t apply that reasoning to football officials, because the officiating in this game was a travesty,

You mean I actually do not hold the officiating to the standard of collegiate or nfl officials? Yeah, I am being realistic and not cranky because my team lost.

and VHSL people admitted it...and no, they weren’t trying to shut anybody up, they approached Richlands people as they were leaving the game, and suggested they file a grievance. And we all know the VHSL is not going to do anything substantial. They never do. Maybe a slap on the wrist and a promise that it will never happen again, but those are just empty words. Those of us who have experienced this time and time again know that all too well.

If they arent going to do anything, they wouldnt approach you to have you file a grievance. Like I said, when they release a statement, you will have some room to talk.

If you’re so gullible that you think things like this don’t happen in high school football, you’re delusional. It happens all the time, especially in Virginia.

It might very well happen...but not on Saturday between those two teams.

i would also like to point out something, everyone says that the officials were favoring Poquoson... Poquoson had 8 penalties to Richlands 12. that is not that big of a difference. and you can ask anyone who has ever played offensive or defensive line in football at any level, there is holding on EVERY PLAY, it all depends if you can keep the refs from seeing it. 14 points taken off the board for poquoson. which both drives later led to turnover on downs, and i wont even get started on the on side kick that didnt go 10 yards before the kicker dove on it.

I went to the game, I also am from central virginia and my only affilliation to Poquoson is that my wife grew up there (PHS class of '02).

I think this pretty much says it all. I understand. Defending the wife’s alma mater is admirable. They played a great game, and no one is trying to take anything away from the Bull Islanders. Those are your thoughts, not mine.

If this officiating travesty had happened to kids you knew and loved, and everything they had worked for all year had been taken away from them by a group of old men controlling the flow of the game by throwing bogus flags every time your team had the momentum, I’m sure you would be singing a different tune. I don’t expect you to agree with me. You’re new here, and you obviously have been drawn here because of my comments, or possibly because someone told you what was being said on SWVASports.com, and that’s ok. But don’t expect those of us who experienced the downside of this debacle to just crawl into a hole and go away. It’s not going to happen. It’s easy to take the side of “good sportsmanship†when your team is on the winning end of a horribly called game. It’s not as easy when you’re the victim. We’ll continue to discuss this until we get it out of our system, or until the admins here decide to lock the thread. You’re position is noted and understood. There are many here who understand the frustration I have expressed. It’s not just me.

i would also like to point out something, everyone says that the officials were favoring Poquoson... Poquoson had 8 penalties to Richlands 12. that is not that big of a difference. and you can ask anyone who has ever played offensive or defensive line in football at any level, there is holding on EVERY PLAY, it all depends if you can keep the refs from seeing it. 14 points taken off the board for poquoson. which both drives later led to turnover on downs, and i wont even get started on the on side kick that didnt go 10 yards before the kicker dove on it.

The onside kick was touched by a Poquoson player before it went 10 yards, making it a live ball. Richlands recovered. You’re right about the holding calls and that’s one of my objections. Holding can be called or ignored on every play. The timing of the two holding calls at the end of the game, both being thrown late and behind the play are the two that stopped the Blues on their final drive.

Guest The Variable

I was sitting one bench back and about 5 feet from you. My wife remembers you from High School.

The onside kick isnt really a fair complaint because its all based on ball spot and it was damn close. What it does show is that there is no conspiracy against Richlands because at the time the game had reached 23-17 and a PHS drive might very well have run the clock out. The refs would have spot the ball shy of the 10 yards.

I was sitting one bench back and about 5 feet from you. My wife remembers you from High School.

The onside kick isnt really a fair complaint because its all based on ball spot and it was damn close. What it does show is that there is no conspiracy against Richlands because at the time the game had reached 23-17 and a PHS drive might very well have run the clock out. The refs would have spot the ball shy of the 10 yards.

Actually is was so obvious that the Poquoson player touched the ball prior to it going 10 yards and right in front of the Blues bench that that would have been way too obvious to call it Poquoson ball. They made sure after Richlands drove just outside the Red Zone the Blues would get no closer to the end zone with those two bogus holding calls.

Guest The Variable
I think this pretty much says it all. I understand. Defending the wife’s alma mater is admirable.
I am not defending her alma mater. If anything I was rooting for Richlands, her dad has been giving me grief all year about the Colts and I was looking forward to a 3 hour drive back to my house, clowning him about how his team lost.

They played a great game, and no one is trying to take anything away from the Bull Islanders. Those are your thoughts, not mine.

You ARE trying to take away from PHS because of your very position that the officiating put Richlands so far back that they couldnt have won, but would have if things were fair. It was only a 6 point game.

If this officiating travesty had happened to kids you knew and loved, and everything they had worked for all year had been taken away from them by a group of old men controlling the flow of the game by throwing bogus flags every time your team had the momentum, I’m sure you would be singing a different tune.

No, I wouldnt have. I am not a crybaby. You want these kids you know and love to walk away with a lesson, teach them that life is not fair...that sometimes you try hard and lose because of a few tough breaks. It will certainly help them if they go into the military and get to see what happens in a very dangerous world.

I would also tell them not to believer your wild conspiracy theories about the illuminati trying to steal a win from your HIGH SCHOOL. Taking your attitude would certainly put them at a disadvantage.

I don’t expect you to agree with me. You’re new here, and you obviously have been drawn here because of my comments, or possibly because someone told you what was being said on SWVASports.com, and that’s ok.

It just amazes me how completely lame your reasoning is and how pathetically you cling to the notion that someone out there is trying to get your high school. I mean REALLY?

But don’t expect those of us who experienced the downside of this debacle to just crawl into a hole and go away. It’s not going to happen. It’s easy to take the side of “good sportsmanship†when your team is on the winning end of a horribly called game. It’s not as easy when you’re the victim. We’ll continue to discuss this until we get it out of our system, or until the admins here decide to lock the thread. You’re position is noted and understood. There are many here who understand the frustration I have expressed. It’s not just me.

As I read things, its a lot of whining. And MY team didnt win. The farthest that the Lee-Davis Confederates have ever been in Football in my lifetime was a state semi-final loss to EC Glass in the mid 90's. You should be glad your teams are as competitive as they are and you make the team you love look worse because you cannot admit that another team outplayed you ONCE in a season.

It would be funny if it wasnt so sad.

Guest The Variable
Actually is was so obvious that the Poquoson player touched the ball prior to it going 10 yards and right in front of the Blues bench that that would have been way too obvious to call it Poquoson ball. They made sure after Richlands drove just outside the Red Zone the Blues would get no closer to the end zone with those two bogus holding calls.

Maybe Dan Brown will right a novel about the vast conspiracy against Southwest VA football. In the meantime, the RATIONAL people who watched the game understand that the refs werent out to get you.

Like I said, some calls were missed (read: M-I-S-S-E-D and not ignored) on both sides. Ever watch pro football? It happens there too. Interesting fact: people are not perfect. This revolutionary concept might dispel your notions that the Refs arent perfect, that Richlands High School Football is not perfect and that you arent perfect.

Edited by The Variable

I am not defending her alma mater. If anything I was rooting for Richlands, her dad has been giving me grief all year about the Colts and I was looking forward to a 3 hour drive back to my house, clowning him about how his team lost.

You ARE trying to take away from PHS because of your very position that the officiating put Richlands so far back that they couldnt have won, but would have if things were fair. It was only a 6 point game.

No, I wouldnt have. I am not a crybaby. You want these kids you know and love to walk away with a lesson, teach them that life is not fair...that sometimes you try hard and lose because of a few tough breaks. It will certainly help them if they go into the military and get to see what happens in a very dangerous world.

I would also tell them not to believer your wild conspiracy theories about the illuminati trying to steal a win from your HIGH SCHOOL. Taking your attitude would certainly put them at a disadvantage.

It just amazes me how completely lame your reasoning is and how pathetically you cling to the notion that someone out there is trying to get your high school. I mean REALLY?

As I read things, its a lot of whining. And MY team didnt win. The farthest that the Lee-Davis Confederates have ever been in Football in my lifetime was a state semi-final loss to EC Glass in the mid 90's. You should be glad your teams are as competitive as they are and you make the team you love look worse because you cannot admit that another team outplayed you ONCE in a season.

It would be funny if it wasnt so sad.

If the other team had actually outplayed the kids from Richlands and the outcome had been decided by the players instead of the officials, this debate would be moot. I’m defending the kids who were wronged, and they all know that and appreciate the fact that those of us who have the guts to lay it out there and call a spade a spade have their backs. This has nothing to do with me, it has everything to do with the kids from Richlands who weren’t allowed to finish what they worked for all season. These officials finished it for them. You can make me the bad guy if you wish, I’ll gladly shoulder that burden for the Richlands players. That doesn’t bother me because these kids know what happened on the field, and they have learned once that everything in life is not fair. That was proven to them Saturday. They will move on, and they will be better men for it. But your attempt to shame those of us who are defending the Blues players and coaches because of the obvious bias falls on deaf ears. We have experienced it way too often. Talk to me when it happens to the team and young men you love and support.

Maybe Dan Brown will right a novel about the vast conspiracy against Southwest VA football. In the meantime, the RATIONAL people who watched the game understand that the refs werent out to get you.

Conspiracy AND paranoia? You're going to put these people on a therapist's couch.

"Holding.....offense.....number xx.....ten yard penalty from the spot of the foul.....repeat second down."

Edited by sandman

Guest The Variable
If the other team had actually outplayed the kids from Richlands and the outcome had been decided by the players instead of the officials, this debate would be moot.

So now you continue to take MORE away from the Poquoson team. Seems like you have a problem being honest with yourself.

I’m defending the kids who were wronged, and they all know that and appreciate the fact that those of us who have the guts to lay it out there and call a spade a spade have their backs. This has nothing to do with me, it has everything to do with the kids from Richlands who weren’t allowed to finish what they worked for all season.

No, you are using the kids as a weapon for your own frustrations. These are just kids. They dont know any better because you are an adult and you are reinforcing their idea that they may have been cheated when they were not. When I was their age, I would probably have felt the same way...however I am older (and still probably younger than you) and mature enough to REALLY call a spade a spade and say that Richlands honestly lost.

These officials finished it for them. You can make me the bad guy if you wish, I’ll gladly shoulder that burden for the Richlands players. That doesn’t bother me because these kids know what happened on the field, and they have learned once that everything in life is not fair. That was proven to them Saturday. They will move on, and they will be better men for it. But your attempt to shame those of us who are defending the Blues players and coaches because of the obvious bias falls on deaf ears. We have experienced it way too often.

You are not a bad guy. Nothing you have done here is malicious. You are just fixated and petty and unable to cope with a high school loss. I honestly wish my life was so simple as yours that something that trivial would cause me so much anguish.

Talk to me when it happens to the team and young men you love and support.

Youre kidding right? I actually know of something REAL that REALLY matters. You want to talk about having rules stacked against you? Talk to a veteran. I wont use my own experiences suffice it to say that I have actually experienced life and death rules put in the favor of the opposition (by your own side) and how it has ENDED the lives of young men I love and support.

I dont mean to get heavy here, or wave the flag in your face or pull the "im a veteran" card, but I just want to put things into perspective for you. What you are ranting about, is ridiculous...it IS false and if I had seen it, I would have said so. Holding yourself up as a martyr in front of kids about something this ridiculous is immature and irresponsible.

Edited by The Variable

I'm seriously not trying to stir the pot here, but I've seen several references to official representatives of the VHSL who were present at the game in Lynchburg. And I'm really perplexed as to who they might have been.

For the poster(s) who have reported the comments from these individuals, could you please provide some further context regarding their identity and their official status?

Conspiracy AND parinoia? You're going to put these people on a therapist's couch.

"Holding.....offense.....number xx.....ten yard penalty from the spot of the foul.....repeat second down."

If you’re going to try and use the big words like the adults, please at least google them so you won’t look like a third grader. It’s hard to take people seriously who can’t even spell...not that I would ever take you seriously.

I'm seriously not trying to stir the pot here, but I've seen several references to official representatives of the VHSL who were present at the game in Lynchburg. And I'm really perplexed as to who they might have been.

For the poster(s) who have reported the comments from these individuals, could you please provide some further context regarding their identity and their official status?

Do you really want to know the names of the conspirators?

If the other team had actually outplayed the kids from Richlands and the outcome had been decided by the players instead of the officials, this debate would be moot. I’m defending the kids who were wronged, and they all know that and appreciate the fact that those of us who have the guts to lay it out there and call a spade a spade have their backs. This has nothing to do with me, it has everything to do with the kids from Richlands who weren’t allowed to finish what they worked for all season. These officials finished it for them. You can make me the bad guy if you wish, I’ll gladly shoulder that burden for the Richlands players. That doesn’t bother me because these kids know what happened on the field, and they have learned once that everything in life is not fair. That was proven to them Saturday. They will move on, and they will be better men for it. But your attempt to shame those of us who are defending the Blues players and coaches because of the obvious bias falls on deaf ears. We have experienced it way too often. Talk to me when it happens to the team and young men you love and support.
Poquosan outplayed the Blues. The officiating was bad both ways. POQUOSAN HAD TWO TD'S CALLED BACK. Poquosan's running game is what hurt the blues. They got 4 yards a pop and kept the chains moving. Richlands had a chance to get the ball back with 2 or 3 minutes left and they couldnt. I was pulling for richlands but poquosan was the better team Saturday. They were physical, fundamentally sound and disciplined. I think poquosans offensive line won the battle and won the game for the bull Islanders.