The Best Team Ever in SWVA!

wah_wah

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wont argue with you because you probably know more about it than I do, im a little young for greatest of all time conversation just wanted to throw PV in there.

I dont think AA vs A makes much of a difference. '10 Richlands may have more D1 talent but I dont think they have 1 player as good as Thomas or Julius, the Johnson kid #44 is good but I dont know if he it TJ or JJ good.

Was it '97 that PV beat GC and Appy when they were state champs?

This years Richlands team is very good no doubt but lets see if they can bring back any hardware before we all start crowning them as the greatest of all time.

I already stated how I feel about talk on this team being the best ever, but as far as Devon Johnson goes, we don't know how good Devon will be yet.

It's still to early to say weather he is as good or better or not as good as either of the Jones.

They were/are great players, but Devon is still just a JR in high school and has a lot of talent and still has time to grow and get faster and stronger.

I'm not saying that he is going to be as good as either one of those, I just think it's too early in his young career to say yet.

I do know that he is already a D1 talent and will only get better if he can stay healthy !

When he's healthy, he can be almost impossible to stop with his combination of speed and power !

He does have a great combination of speed and power but from what I have seen(and thats not alot) he is a defensive player at the next level. Thats not saying he isint a great high school runningback but he just doesent look natural running the ball. Great player tho and any team in SWVA would be glad to have him(well any team in VA).

The Richlands Blue Tornados 2010 football team I think is the best football team that SWVA has ever seen. THis team has it all.

Are you kidding me? Should'nt we hold off on this topic until this time next week? I believe it's a little to early to begin beating our chest. This team has one more very important game remaining, right?!!!!!!!!!

you guys forget sum teams..the lebanon teams , as much as i hate to say it the gw state champs..giles has had sum great teams..pulaski is in swva and until recently these guys would roll most teams...yes,i think this team will win sat but i havent saw them play so i cant say either way.

He does have a great combination of speed and power but from what I have seen(and thats not alot) he is a defensive player at the next level. Thats not saying he isint a great high school runningback but he just doesent look natural running the ball. Great player tho and any team in SWVA would be glad to have him(well any team in VA).

Well, you maybe right, but he is being recruited for RB also by a couple of D1 schools. UVA wants him at LB and Marshall wants him as a RB.

I think it'll come down to where he feels comfortable and how much he improves next year.

He really got bigger and stronger this past off season and a little quicker so if he continues in that direction it will be hard to tell where and at what position he will play.

you guys forget sum teams..the lebanon teams , as much as i hate to say it the gw state champs..giles has had sum great teams..pulaski is in swva and until recently these guys would roll most teams...yes,i think this team will win sat but i havent saw them play so i cant say either way.

There's so many great teams that have come out of SWVA and it's hard to compare one to another.

I think "IF' they win Saturday and that is no guarantee at any stretch of the imagination, that we should just say that this Richlands team is one of the best that has come out of SWVA..........again "IF" they win Saturday !

I have a lot of confidence in the Blues, but the game has to be played and Poq. is not gonna just roll over and give it to us ! The Blues and us fans better have some respect for this team!

They are a very good team or they would not be there and I think some are putting the cart before the horse way to early.

I just want to see the Blues get the W and then start all the talk !

Edited by Bigrhsfan

This is bar none the most arrogant thread I have ever seen on here. We have a very important game this Saturday and if we should lose it, then what are they then. This team has the opportunity to be one of the best teams Richlands has ever had but its only an opportunity now.

Edited by Gizmo777

This is bar none the most arrogant thread I have ever seen on here. We have a very important game this Saturday and if we should lose it, then what are they then. This team has the oportunity to be one of the best teams Richlands has ever had but its only an opportunity now.

I second that statement right there. I think this thread should be closed. Wayyyyyyy toooo cocky.

There's so many great teams that have come out of SWVA and it's hard to compare one to another.

I think "IF' they win Saturday and that is no guarantee at any stretch of the imagination, that we should just say that this Richlands team is one of the best that has come out of SWVA..........again "IF" they win Saturday !

I have a lot of confidence in the Blues, but the game has to be played and Poq. is not gonna just roll over and give it to us ! The Blues and us fans better have some respect for this team!

They are a very good team or they would not be there and I think some are putting the cart before the horse way to early.

I just want to see the Blues get the W and then start all the talk !

Win or lose they are still one of the best ever in SWVA. If they win then they are one of the best ever in the state as far as aa goes.

Win or lose they are still one of the best ever in SWVA. If they win then they are one of the best ever in the state as far as aa goes.

I know that, I'm just trying to be a little humble. We've been so blessed over the years with all the great players and great teams here at Richlands.

I just thought maybe a little humble pie might be in order.

Any discussion of the best high school football team ever in SWVA should begin and end with the 1974 Gate City team. Mickey Rogers and crew won every game by at least 3 touchdowns, scored 70 points or more three times, and averaged more than 50 points per game. I remember as a young kid watching them play a pretty good Graham team that year and just thinking that they were unstoppable....and they were.

1974 Gate City

56-12 @ PH

40-6 Lynn View

41-12 Marion

62-12 @ Va. High

73-6 Grundy

57-16 @ Abingdon

69-7 Tazewell

37-0 @ Graham (Sat)

48-12 Richlands

70-15 @ JSB

------

553-98

35-7 Radford

71-18 Amherst

28-7 Southampton (@ Courtland)

----

687-130 (52.85-10)

...but some mention others...

1965 GC was 10-0 allowed 6 points all year, on a halfback option at the end of the half vs. P. Valley. Scored 31.2 per game gave up .6

1967 GC was 10-0 and outscored opponents 318-88

1970 GC was 13-0 scored (506) 38.9 per game and gave up (64) 4.92. they beat Db 44-16, Elizabethton, Graham 52-0, and in the playoffs outscored opponents 104-8 including James Monroe for the title 40-8.

2003 GC was 14-0 scored 622 and allowed 121. Starters (like Richlands 2010 played in the second half of about 3 games.)

**Honorable mention

1971, 1975, 1996, 2002 all were undefeated until playoffs. 1971 lost to Radford 35-24, 1975 hit the buzzsaw that was Martinsville 52-19, 1996 lost to Brookville in the icy mud bowl 13-12, and 2002 in the snow 21-20 in OT to G. Wythe

So really it is a beauty contest, do you like the great D and 3yds and a cloud of dust of 1965, the 74 team, or even 1970. Maybe you like the PV teams with the Jone's, etc.. it is all specualtive. I was always partial to 1974 myself :)

People keep mentioning PV with the Jones's. The '94 team was pretty good. That was Thomas's junior year. 12-2 and a State Title. Two losses was to Lee and a pretty good whippin' by a physical Richlands team. Thomas had 2 TD's and about 150 yards rushing. Richlands fullback Jason Lester plowed Bullitt Park for over 100 yards as Richlands won, 34-14. That was the last high school game that Thomas Jones ever lost. Next year PV went undefeated and avenged the loss to Richlands at Ernie Hicks. The '95 PV team was outstanding. And no one has mentioned the Honaker team with Heath Miller and Neil Sample. Probably not the best, but worth a mentioning.

That Honaker team was solid and deserves to be mentioned. I think if they would have used Miller in better ways could have been an even greater team, if I remember right they ran alot of power I and little shotgun but that of course is open to debate.

Edited by redtiger

The Richlands Blue Tornados 2010 football team I think is the best football team that SWVA has ever seen. THis team has it all.

Have not read the posts in this thread.

Just hope we "leave everything on the field" Saturday and that the line controls the game and lets others work their magic because of their play.

Edit: Best teams I've seen was the '92 Blues (against Salem and Orange) and '95 Powell Valley team because of T.Jones. I saw him run - he was like grease up on the line left and right - then he was a sprinter.

Edited by Notus

Post by Wahwah:

I hereby cast my vote for this as the most ill-advised post in the history of this message board.
I hereby cast my vote for this as the most ill-advised post in the history of this message board.

You have to consider the source...he’s an idiot.

I agree. I think we will win this week but lets not get the cart before the horse. If we win the State championship this week then start blowing all the hot air. I think it best to just enjoy the season ethier way and not compare apples and oranges personally. This is a great team period but how can anyone tell which is the best if they can't play each other. Gate City had a couple of great teams with the Rogers boys, The G-men team already mentioned, Powell Valley teams with Jones brothers and a couple of others might chime in. 06 and 92 Blues may even like to play that game before any crowns are given out.

I remember posting this last week when this moronic post started. WAY TO GO DIPSTICK. You have to be the worst fan in the history of high school football. Thats one title you could brag about. You just passed the Abingdon boys in my opinion.