Best in the STATE?

short

Aren't they usually ranked pretty high nationally year in, year out?

They are normally top 10 although one site this year had them around 50th and had I think Maryville, TN in the 30s so that might be the only team in an adjoining state ahead of them in rankings.

Alcoa in TN is also very good. Lost to Maryville during the first game of the year by a field goal I believe. Alcoa defeated Maryville the last two seasons. They were riding a 44 game win streak until Maryville won. Maryville was the 6a state champ in TN last year, while Alcoa has won the last 5 or 6 in 3a.

I would like to see the Phoebus vs Hampton game. I think that both of those games were close last year.

Strange that some of the best teams in the two states are neighbors/rivals.

Edited by falconfan1

This sorta relates to the topic but is a little off,

Where would Union HS be rated statewide if it had been formed back in the early 90s?

PV in alot of those years could have stood toe to toe w/ anyone in A or AA and Appy was right behind them. Together how do you guys think they would they have stacked up against the AAA teams?

Gotta be in the top 5, right?

Edited by redtiger

Guest lookoutmountain

Phoebus is the best team in the state this year just like they've been the best team in the state for the last 10 years on at least 1 out of every 2 years. You will hear the Va. Beach and Richmond media do an annual "talkdown" of Phoebus saying they lost this many seniors and have to rebuild, etc. At the end of the day, Phoebus will go undefeated again, and win another state championship.....again.