Change is coming

battleftbl

I was under the impression that Lees #s had dropped to where they were a legit A school. Maybe im mistaken. I also thought Marion was very near the A/AA cutoff. If Marion remains AA that helps Abingdon alot.

I wasnt saying bus kids from Abingdon to other schoos, just that if there was a 5-10 minute difference in the bus ride from their current school of Abingdon to another school it would be worth looking into. How many bus trips from Abingdon to the Roanoke and area a year is that? at least 3 for Football, 6 for Volleyball, 12 for Boys and Girls Basketball, 12 for baseball/softball, and then the other sports(soccer, tennis, golf, track, etc) which I have no idea how the games/matches are setup. Thats not even counting district tournaments in Basketball which would require an overnight stay! Thats ALOT of money! Not to mention the most important factor, loss of classroom time.

I would request to be placed in a split district if I was Abingdon

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.wcs.k12.va.us/images/attendance_zones.jpg

Here's a map of the school coverage area in Washington County, VA. They could maybe give most of Watauga Elementary's area to Battle and part of Greendale Elementary's area to PH. Abingdon's elementary schools are Watauga, Greendale, and Abingdon Elementary. Battle's is High Point and Valley Institute. Patrick Henry's is Meadowview. And Holston's is Rhea Valley.

If Marion and Abingdon stay in AA then they should put Lee in with them and reform the Highlands....Lee has been given a pass to play down for a long time...that could end.

I thought Lee only "played down" for the first cycle they dropped?? If they move Lee up, then might as add Gate City and Virginia High in there too.

I thought Lee only "played down" for the first cycle they dropped?? If they move Lee up, then might as add Gate City and Virginia High in there too.

i dont know...last i heard they were above the cut...maybe they are down now? if so my bad.

http://www.vhsl.org/files/rr-adoptedplan-09-11.pdf

Again, here are the official VHSL numbers for varsity eligible students per school, broken down by classification, region and district. I missed Lee's numbers when I looked the first time.

http://www.vhsl.org/files/rr-adoptedplan-09-11.pdf

Again, here are the official VHSL numbers for varsity eligible students per school, broken down by classification, region and district. I missed Lee's numbers when I looked the first time.

those cant be the latest #'s or Grundy would be Div 1....475 is the cut point I think and that shows 474.

http://www.wcs.k12.va.us/images/attendance_zones.jpg

Here's a map of the school coverage area in Washington County, VA. They could maybe give most of Watauga Elementary's area to Battle and part of Greendale Elementary's area to PH. Abingdon's elementary schools are Watauga, Greendale, and Abingdon Elementary. Battle's is High Point and Valley Institute. Patrick Henry's is Meadowview. And Holston's is Rhea Valley.

The Link will not allow access.

Abingdon's enrollment right now is 896, but close to 75 of those kids are special ed. and there are also between 15 and 20 still there for a second diploma(13th year students). These kids are bussed in from all the county high schools, plus a few from saltville. So our actual numbers are more in line with Richlands, Tazwell and Marion. Hopefully they would allow us to play around here instead of traveling several hours for a district game. Traveling for football wouldn't be that bad, but the sports that play games during the week would really get the short end of the stick.

Abingdon's enrollment right now is 896, but close to 75 of those kids are special ed. and there are also between 15 and 20 still there for a second diploma(13th year students). These kids are bussed in from all the county high schools, plus a few from saltville. So our actual numbers are more in line with Richlands, Tazwell and Marion. Hopefully they would allow us to play around here instead of traveling several hours for a district game. Traveling for football wouldn't be that bad, but the sports that play games during the week would really get the short end of the stick.

they draw kids from Buchanan County, too haha

Its not that they won't let you. It's that Abingdon refuses to file a hardship due to travel.

75 special ed. students at Abingdon? That explains Falconman and Southbound.

But seriously, that seems like a really high number. Also, the VDOE's website lists Abingdon's enrollment at 945 for 2010-11 and their middle school's 8th grade was only a few students smaller than last years graduating class, so enrollment should have stayed roughly the same. Richlands is listed on the DOE site as being at 748. Marion, Tazewell, and Lee are even smaller than that, at 730, 686, and 729, respectively.

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/statistics_reports/enrollment/fall_membership/index.shtml

I realize that DOE and VHSL numbers are a bit different, but I'm not sure which number are closer to the actual enrollments.

Been hearing rumors for a while but hadn't saw a list of the actual teams that may end up in a district together so I think it's very interesting. I like what I see with the teams tho, and to resist the idea that big changes are coming doesn't make sense, Guess we'll all have to see exactly how it pans out but it should make for some good games down the road.

When this plan happens and Richlands ends up as a singal A school and playing in the cmd we will no longer have to hear anyone say that the blues have a weak sec.

they dont usually have a weak schedule, just happens to be the last couple of years other teams have been somewhat down as to the norm...it happens.

Ok, im opening the door for Falconman and Southbound to preach to me the greatness of Abingdon and the inferiority of Haysi but why exactly would a high school student get a second degree?

Also do Sp Ed kids no count toward a schools enrollment?

The Link will not allow access.

I went to google maps and searched "elementary schools in wshington county virginia". Center on Abingdon and zoom in until Hansonville and Craigs Mill(upper left of your screen) become visible and you get a pretty good idea of where the elem schools are in relation to the high schools(in Abingdon, Damascus, Near the Beaver Creek inpoundment and Glade Spring) . Thomas Denton is right on about which schools could be adjusted and from a geographic standpoint it wouldnt be hard or make a big difference in travel time.

Before you try this I must warn you, my google-fu is strong! lol

Edited by redtiger

Ok, im opening the door for Falconman and Southbound to preach to me the greatness of Abingdon and the inferiority of Haysi but why exactly would a high school student get a second degree?

Also do Sp Ed kids no count toward a schools enrollment?

yes.

What I have heard kicked around is Abingdon with CBurg, Blacksburg, Pulaski and Carroll (I might be forgetting another) in a district together.

Region 3 teams Lord Bot, William Byrd and Northside moving to back to Region 4 to be with Salem, Cave Spring and Hidden Valley.