Bradshaw -“I was so anxious. I was nervous, I was shaking"

VHSLhelper

It's a SWVA thing man. We get shat on quite a bit in multiple facets. We get excited when our Heath Millers, Jones Brothers, Jimmy Gobbles, Billy Wagners, and Ahmad Bradshaw's represent us on a national level. I grew up 80 minutes from Bluefield and have only been there a handful of times, and I got excited as hell when it popped up for 3 seconds on that television. Stuff like that means very little to anyone outside of our cozy countryside.

Good post, deuces.

It goes both ways, Vurble. Different people care about different things. Frankly, no one gives a shit that you broke and/or got a new recliner (except UVAO, who may or may not have just been saying that to appease you), but we didn't say anything to you about it.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Variable
Good post, deuces.

It goes both ways, Vurble. Different people care about different things. Frankly, no one gives a shit that you broke and/or got a new recliner (except UVAO, who may or may not have just been saying that to appease you), but we didn't say anything to you about it.

So...its okay to disagree or what?

Im still trying to get an answer why he is SO important to all of SWVA.

Edited by The Variable

I was hoping he would have run it in FG's dont come that easy. Awesome Awesome Great for the area to see him in the enzone alot of little kids from the area was happy last night i know my little boy said "Dad I got to get me a Bradshaw jersey".

because he's one of US...we either grew up with him, or watched him play from the time he was a kid, and we can relate to him...some people here are related to him lol....there are not that many people from "around here" that make it to the super bowl, much less get two rings...ask Dan Fouts and Dan Marino how many rings they have? It's a big deal.

The guy played on most of our home town fields here even if you didn't go to Graham you either played against him or watched him play...that gives you an interest in what he does.

As for the personal stuff, i've heard 10x more lies about it than the truth...stories just seem to evolve and get more and more added to them....people around here either love him or hate him, i guess jealousy breeds hate? There are a few that seem to want to put down anyone who has talent...sad, but true. The difference is looking at the good stuff, or the bad...or the whole...not just the bad, which is all some seem to want to focus on.

You would think, in these days, people would be looking for something to feel good about...to be happy about...to enjoy...but, i guess not everyone.

Guest The Variable

Well I dont want you to misinterpret things. I would love for Bradshaw to be a good ambassador for his hometown and be a good role model on top of what he does on the field. But he isnt. It always frustrates me to see talent without maturity. That night when Plaxico (who grew up in the town next to my wifes hometown, nobody there cares about him) shot himself should have been a wake up call. We all do dumb things as kids and whether Bradshaws past is true or not, we can always redeem ourselves. He has had several moments where he could change things and he doesnt seem to get it. He had to get benched this season for more trouble off the field hanging out at the wrong place/time. I hope he turns the corner, but I wouldnt want my kid looking up to him right now. On the other side, you have Cruz who had his own demons to fight and so far, hes the next Larry Fitzgerald in both talent and attitude.

So yeah, I lived in HR for a time, nobody really cares about the Vicks or Burress or Harvin or Iverson or the fact that Sharper went to WM. Its hard for me to understand the big deal when a guy doesnt have his act together comes from wherever.

Edited by The Variable

Sure, you can disagree.

But I think it's important because a.) I know him personally b.) he is just as proud of his hometown as we are and c.) he is a good role model for the area.

I know you've spelled out Bradshaw's troubles in the thread, and no one is denying them. Being a role model doesn't always entail mimicking yourself after one's EVERY detail in life. His story of coming from a small town, working hard, and making it on the biggest stage in professional sports is what is important. You don't have to follow Ahmad's behavior to look up to him as a role model. His talent, hard work, determination, and successes tell a story to the kids that anything is possible.

I know I'll definitely use Ahmad as an example to my kid(s) in the future to teach them that anything is possible. Sure, there may be "better" athletes to look up to in regards to "behavior," like Tim Tebow or someone, but Tebow doesn't draw the intimacy of the area like Ahmad does. I think that holds a ton of weight in a small town.

So yeah, I lived in HR for a time, nobody really cares about the Vicks or Burress or Harvin or Iverson or the fact that Sharper went to WM. Its hard for me to understand the big deal when a guy doesnt have his act together comes from wherever.

SWVA doesn't routinely churn out that type of talent. That's why. I'm sure if/when SWVA ever starts producing the athletes that NOVA does then Ahmad might become a thing of the past and the area will follow a "better" star.

Guest The Variable
Sure, you can disagree.

But I think it's important because a.) I know him personally b.) he is just as proud of his hometown as we are and c.) he is a good role model for the area.

I know you've spelled out Bradshaw's troubles in the thread, and no one is denying them. Being a role model doesn't always entail mimicking yourself after one's EVERY detail in life. His story of coming from a small town, working hard, and making it on the biggest stage in professional sports is what is important. You don't have to follow Ahmad's behavior to look up to him as a role model. His talent, hard work, determination, and successes tell a story to the kids that anything is possible.

I know I'll definitely use Ahmad as an example to my kid(s) in the future to teach them that anything is possible. Sure, there may be "better" athletes to look up to in regards to "behavior," like Tim Tebow or someone, but Tebow doesn't draw the intimacy of the area like Ahmad does. I think that holds a ton of weight in a small town.

I get where you are coming from. I just disagree at some points on moral grounds. Your behavior DOES matter if you are a role model, without that you are just another Charles Barkley. If thats what you want to be then fine. Its the same reason we disagree on Lebron James, the guy has acted like a child and for that I dont like him. You like his talent. Theres more to being a superstar in my opinion than "making it". You can hold him up as an example of "making it" but not of learning how to deal with it. More than that, dealing with success is more important than success. I would rather be piss broke and have my honor and integrity than to be a multi millionaire and be continually make an ass of myself. Like I said, its never too late to redeem yourself until you die. Bradshaw has a lot of years left to change my mind.

I get where you are coming from. I just disagree at some points on moral grounds. Your behavior DOES matter if you are a role model, without that you are just another Charles Barkley. If thats what you want to be then fine. Its the same reason we disagree on Lebron James, the guy has acted like a child and for that I dont like him. You like his talent. Theres more to being a superstar in my opinion than "making it". You can hold him up as an example of "making it" but not of learning how to deal with it. More than that, dealing with success is more important than success. I would rather be piss broke and have my honor and integrity than to be a multi millionaire and be continually make an ass of myself. Like I said, its never too late to redeem yourself until you die. Bradshaw has a lot of years left to change my mind.

There ya go, Variable. You got the last word.

Now drop it.

although i don't expect anything good about AB from you...so not much of a surprise you would say that...shoe on the other foot, if he doesn't score and they miss or get the FG blocked what then? You take it while you can get it and trust your defense to do it's job.

You never know how things will go, except probably not as you expect.

I said earlier, AB is probably the only guy that can score the GAME WINNING touchdown in the Super Bowl...and get bitched at for it. Incredible.

I agree with UVAO.

He didn't single out Ahmad, he singled out the scenario. If Brandon Jacobs, Eli, or Walter Payton scored that TD and Tom Brady somehow came back to score the game winning TD because of the extra time on the clock then they would be highly scrutinized no matter who it was. The only place they could escape the blame is probably their immediate family (or a hometown message board).

You're right in that "you never know how things will go" because IF Tom Brady would've had a little help from his receivers on the last drive and had they not dropped the ball on a couple plays during the final drive, Brady could've just as easily won the game. Yeah, it's a "what if..." scenario, but it still happened. "What if" the Giants ran the clock down and missed a FG? They all hold the same weight.

You either trust your defense or you trust your kicker. Neither choice is better than the other... especially in the Super Bowl against one of the best QBs to ever play the game.

Guest The Variable
There ya go, Variable. You got the last word.

Now drop it.

Discussions arent about having the last word, but Ill remember in the future that you cant handle this particular topic.

Discussions arent about having the last word, but Ill remember in the future that you cant handle this particular topic.

The day Bluefield, VA is happy for one of their own is the day you argue things that have been argued into the ground for no reason? Pure class, Variable.

Look, we're MORE aware of Ahmad's past sins than anyone, including you. Yet on a day where he represents his roots with a sense of pride and represents us well, some outsider tries to come in and tell us how we're supposed to react? Nope, sorry bud. Don't think so.

I'm an AB fan not only because he and I went to the same high school, but because he comes back here every off season and gives back to this community. Just like Billy Wagner does, and I'm sure Heath Miller does the same. Sure AB has made bad decisions...I bet every one of us on this board have made some really bad decisions. It's just that we aren't in the public spotlight to have our bad decisions displayed for the world to see.

I wouldn't let my daughter marry him, but I'd wear his jersey.

Guest The Variable
The day Bluefield, VA is happy for one of their own is the day you argue things that have been argued into the ground for no reason? Pure class, Variable.

Look, we're MORE aware of Ahmad's past sins than anyone, including you. Yet on a day where he represents his roots with a sense of pride and represents us well, some outsider tries to come in and tell us how we're supposed to react? Nope, sorry bud. Don't think so.

I rest my case.

but hey, tonight when you are hanging out with him or talking to him on the phone, tell him what I said. If he actually cares, then you can tell him that I still want him to make it.

Guest The Variable
Well good. Now can we talk about his 72 yards and game winning touchdown? Please?

Yes, let me cater my opinions/posts around what Legend likes to hear. No, Legend I didnt have to insult you to disagree with you so Ill just not discuss it with you and let you think that SWVA begins and ends with "AB".

Just my parting thought: Lots of folks in HR knew about Vicks dogfighting. They all looked past it until he got caught. Think about that if you think that bad decisions dont sometimes ruin the people you look up to.

Edited by The Variable

Yes, let me cater my opinions/posts around what Legend likes to hear. No, Legend I didnt have to insult you to disagree with you so Ill just not discuss it with you and let you think that SWVA begins and ends with "AB".

You clearly just don't get it do you?? All we hear out here is "the state ends at Roanoke". We get sick and tired of it. So when someone from down here makes it somewhere out of here, and has a chance to rep SWVA, we ALL get behind him/her. And it's people like You that fuel that stupid saying of the state ending.

Until you live in a town of less than 4,000, where there is very little way "out", you have No right to question how much or why we love our area superstars.

Guest The Variable
You clearly just don't get it do you?? All we hear out here is "the state ends at Roanoke". We get sick and tired of it. So when someone from down here makes it somewhere out of here, and has a chance to rep SWVA, we ALL get behind him/her. And it's people like You that fuel that stupid saying of the state ending.

Until you live in a town of less than 4,000, where there is very little way "out", you have No right to question how much or why we love our area superstars.

Not only have I never heard that, I have never thought that. Grew up in central VA, I live in the Northern Neck. Dont give me the whole "walk in my shoes" bit. Its tired and old and a complete cop out. So I dont know who is telling you the state ends in Roanoake...maybe its the folks in Lynchburg and Roanoake.

Edited by The Variable

Not only have I never heard that, I have never thought that. Grew up in central VA, I live in the Northern Neck. Dont give me the whole "walk in my shoes" bit. Its tired and old and a complete cop out. So I dont know who is telling you the state ends in Roanoake...maybe its the folks in Lynchburg and Roanoake.

No, its people around Richmond and NOVA that say that.

Guest The Variable
No, its people around Richmond and NOVA that say that.

Northern Neck is right outside NOVA, and I was a 25 minute drive to Richmond.

Again: Never heard, never thought.

You hear snide comments from all over. At Tech when I told people where I was from and explained it, their first reaction was a gasp that people west of Roanoke made it to college. And their second reaction was to ask stupid questions... do you have malls, roads, and my favorite, "So, do you guys have radio down there?" It may not be as widespread of a stereotype that many here believe but it certainly exists.

You hear snide comments from all over. At Tech when I told people where I was from and explained it, their first reaction was a gasp that people west of Roanoke made it to college. And their second reaction was to ask stupid questions... do you have malls, roads, and my favorite, "So, do you guys have radio down there?" It may not be as widespread of a stereotype that many here believe but it certainly exists.

Exactly. Its out there. Just because in Vurbles alternate reality it doesn't exist, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Guest The Variable
Exactly. Its out there. Just because in Vurbles alternate reality it doesn't exist, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Dont be thin skinned. How many people do you even know from out here? Its not the attitude out here. Thats the whole point, there is no attitude out here about ANYTHING. Thats why Richmond will never have a major sports team out here, we just dont care if it doesnt revolve around the Civil War (which makes SWVA a pretty good place to check out BTW). And aside from a very few handful of joshing comments, have you ever seriously heard anything from me saying this? Did you hear any of that from Poquoson when they played Richlands? You didnt.

Folks from NOVA dont like anybody from VA, so whatever you hear from them is just because that area is a different state. They think we are all inbred farmers in Central VA and wanna be surfers and gangsters in Tidewater.

Either way, if peoples perception of SWVA really bothers you that much, what is Bradshaw going to prove for you?

although i don't expect anything good about AB from you...so not much of a surprise you would say that...shoe on the other foot, if he doesn't score and they miss or get the FG blocked what then? You take it while you can get it and trust your defense to do it's job.

You never know how things will go, except probably not as you expect.

I said earlier, AB is probably the only guy that can score the GAME WINNING touchdown in the Super Bowl...and get bitched at for it. Incredible.

This...