Bradshaw -“I was so anxious. I was nervous, I was shaking"

VHSLhelper

If Bradshaw falls at the 2 inch line and then there is a bad snap on the FG, or a missed FG or a Blocked FG, Does everybody blame the coaches or Bradshaw? Bradshaw did his job. Congrats to the former Graham G-Man RB.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well good. Now can we talk about his 72 yards and game winning touchdown? Please?

Here's a better stat for you...

AB has been the leading rusher in BOTH Super Bowls he's played in...

Look Variable, you can accuse me of being a complete homer; it's true. But this is someone who graduated with my brother a year ahead of me in a class of 67 people. I know him. I know his past. I know his girlfriend. I know how devastated he was when his dad died last year. I have seen him make half-court shots to win middle school basketball games. Hell, he even gave me a nickname in high school.

I'm probably like most people who come from Bluefield, VA. We know where he comes from. We don't look past his indiscretions, but we hope and root for good things in his future, and we celebrate with him when he has huge accomplishments such as scoring the winning points in the Super Bowl. And ya know, it's really nice of him to go back and give back to the community. He could just forget about where he comes from, but he chooses not to. So while your opinion is completely reasonable, just know that you're speaking to a community who grew up with him.

Here's a better stat for you...

AB has been the leading rusher in BOTH Super Bowls he's played in...

That's so incredible. On that long run of his, I think it was his 24 yard run down the sideline, I thought he had broken it. That one had me YELLING, as did his fumble, and his (accidental-ish) touchdown.

Edited by legend11

Guest StoneyCalhoun
And ya know, it's really nice of him to go back and give back to the community.

I had to ask myself, what has he done for the community? There was one camp in 2009 according to the BDT, but it seems like that stopped with just one.

Am I missing something here? A quick google search of quite a few keywords found nothing. Maybe the BDT hasn't reported it, or Ahmad & staff haven't sent out PR material on his work in this area (He has done a few signings in NYC for free) but it seems like the giving back to the community just has not happened. Granted, he is still early in his career, and I am NOT asking him to give back, but just not seeing it...

He should've been nervous and shaking. If Tom Brady had engineered that comeback (a distinct possibility if the Patriots WRs don't drop two perfectly thrown passes), then Bradshaw becomes probably the 2nd-biggest goat in Super Bowl history behind Scott Norwood.

But....he didn't...

I had to ask myself, what has he done for the community? There was one camp in 2009 according to the BDT, but it seems like that stopped with just one.

Am I missing something here? A quick google search of quite a few keywords found nothing. Maybe the BDT hasn't reported it, or Ahmad & staff haven't sent out PR material on his work in this area (He has done a few signings in NYC for free) but it seems like the giving back to the community just has not happened. Granted, he is still early in his career, and I am NOT asking him to give back, but just not seeing it...

List one thing that you have done for your community....then talk.

I completely understand where some of you are coming from on this issue, because I can relate. I grew up in Saltville and Richlands respectively, and when Mike Compton was playing, every time I heard his name mentioned around someone that didn't know, I told them Mike graduated from my high school in Richlands, Va. Most of the time they said, "where?"

Last night when Ahmad's name flashed across the screen I told a friend, "That guy was in my high school's district, just a few miles from where I lived, in Bluefield, Va. He played for the Graham G-Men. I never got to see him play, but judging from what I have seen of him in the NFL he must have been a beast".

I felt a sense of pride, even though Graham and Richlands have always been fierce rivals. Why? Because of what several of you have repeated. It's a Southwest Virginia thing. He doesn't have to be the perfect role model for me to be proud of what he has accomplished.

You see, I want people to know that when you live in that part of the country, you connect with the people there. You have pride, not only in your high school, but in the town you live in and the entire area. EVEN ABINGDON! You don't find that kind of loyalty just anywhere.

Edited by blueinbama

If Bradshaw falls at the 2 inch line and then there is a bad snap on the FG, or a missed FG or a Blocked FG, Does everybody blame the coaches or Bradshaw? Bradshaw did his job. Congrats to the former Graham G-Man RB.

I agree with this assessment. If Bradshaw stops short...and the Giants get a field goal blocked...or a bad snap or a miss....then he's the goat either way....

Good for him...he scored the winning touchdown, end of story.

I'd rather take the sure thing and rely on the defense to make Brady go 80 yards to win it....57 seconds and 80 yards....pretty good odds for the Giants, if you ask me.

Yes, let me cater my opinions/posts around what Legend likes to hear. No, Legend I didnt have to insult you to disagree with you so Ill just not discuss it with you and let you think that SWVA begins and ends with "AB".

Just my parting thought: Lots of folks in HR knew about Vicks dogfighting. They all looked past it until he got caught. Think about that if you think that bad decisions dont sometimes ruin the people you look up to.

Killing dogs and drinking a beer illegally are not the same....neither is being accused of stealing a playstation....his juvenile record is sealed....if you "think" you know something about that....you shouldn't.

Guest StoneyCalhoun

Why did he get the Hammer? He didn't really attack anybody? He stated his opinion, and it had it's merits.

In fact, it should probably come to no surprise that I enjoyed it. I absolutely believe in achieving ultimate goals, but just because you reach your goal, doesn't mean you should be celebrated for it. I believe in doing things the right way, and praising people for doing so. Variable, in my opinion, did as well.

Ahmad has struggled with legal trouble, and even though we will never see the full details of all his crimes, he didn't do it the right way, not at Graham, not at UVA, and not at Marshall.

Granted, I agree with the sentiment that you can do anything if you set your mind to it, and "may" one day tell my kids about Bradshaw. But until he does the things that make things right, such as going back and getting his degree (I used to have a picture of Vince Carter on my wall in his Tarheel blue robes going back to graduate) which many athletes do (see the above and most recently, Brandon Flowers), giving back to the community, which I know is hard at a young age, and truly expressing the values and morals of someone who is a good citizen, I won't use him as an example. I can find many stories that originate in our backyard of people who made it big, and in my opinion for the most part, did it the right way. Homer Hickham, John Nash, Bill Dudley, and Eustace Frederick are just a few to name.

Granted, those names may not resonate a nerve with you like Ahmad, as many people played, watched, or grew up with him. It's fun to attach your name to a guy who won two Super Bowls and got the game winning touchdown. Makes you feel like you were part of something as well. But, I leave you with this thought that I honestly believe got me through a lot of character building moments...

It is impossible to soar like eagles when you are surrounded by crows.

I want my children to remember that, and be surrounded by people who do things the right way, all the time.

I'll take my 3 days and go in peace. Gotta get back to The Grammar of Motives anyways.

Edited by StoneyCalhoun

Guest StoneyCalhoun

Seriously? Not to make excuses but a GTA at VT doesn't exactly have a ton of resources, time or money.

But I do what I can, time more so than effort. Community is driven home here at VT, and we practice what we preach. Just in the past months our CGSA chapter donated almost a thousand pounds of food over the holidays, and we are preparing to throw a "prom" for a retirement home community on March 16th. We will be participating in Relay for Life, something I am a proud veteran of, as well as VT as they have the largest one each year.

I spent my summers earning pretty much less than minimum wage working with Energy Express.

A headed a small group of students who brought back grads and invited professors to give a hour long symposium on how to graduate, and how to do it in four years at Concord. We had an audience of around 500.

And that is just a quick look back, and my resume is not stellar.

Is all of that giving back? Maybe not, but I like to think so.

Edited by StoneyCalhoun

The smart thing to do would have been to center the ball with a qb sneak, take as much time off the clock as possible and then kick the field goal.....end of discussion. If it wasnt the best thing for the Giants to do then why did the Patriots part like the Red Sea and let AB score. Even though he thought just a little too late to stop, he shouldnt have been put in that situation. Why risk a handoff and a possible strip if you are playing for a field goal.

You are judged in sports by the outcome of your decisions....since the Giants won it is all a moot point.....but ask yourself this......what percent of the time in the NFL will you win the game if you are kicking a less than 30 yard field goal for the win? What percent of the time will you win if the Patriots have to drive 80 yards in a minute with one timeout? The percentages definitely favor kicking the field goal rather than scoring when they did.

You are judged in sports by the outcome of your decisions....since the Giants won it is all a moot point.....but ask yourself this......what percent of the time in the NFL will you win the game if you are kicking a less than 30 yard field goal for the win? What percent of the time will you win if the Patriots have to drive 80 yards in a minute with one timeout? The percentages definitely favor kicking the field goal rather than scoring when they did.

You're probably right about that. Also consider that Lawrence Tynes hasn't missed a FG within the 30 yard line, including extra points, in 4 years. That was reason enough to just run out the clock and let Tynes try to win it, but with 20/20 hindsight, we know that Ahmad's decision wasn't too costly.

You're probably right about that. Also consider that Lawrence Tynes hasn't missed a FG within the 30 yard line, including extra points, in 4 years. That was reason enough to just run out the clock and let Tynes try to win it, but with 20/20 hindsight, we know that Ahmad's decision wasn't too costly.

All the reason for me to defend Ahmad's decision. The law of averages is catching up to Tynes. There's also the possibility of having it blocked. If I'm making this call, I'm scoring the touchdown 100% of the time, especially when my defense has been playing as well as the Giants defense played. If they score after driving 80 yards in one minute, they deserve to win.

he's had the camp every year except for last year, he had to have his feet worked on in the off season then went straight to Miami to train/rehab because it was his free agent year, it was important that he be fully recovered and in good shape for work outs...he didn't have the luxury of time to put the camp on properly.

I can tell you this, he hasn't had the big pay days that some of the others from here who have made it have, like Miller who just signed a $45 million deal last go around....and you might not hear about all he does in the paper, they are not exactly his best friend all the time....but he does a lot and doesn't look for publicity in return...i know this for a fact ...he also has some stuff he is working on right now for the future...so don't worry about "what he gives back"...just know he does...honestly.

Tynes almost missed one earlier in the super bowl...it was about a foot from the left upright.

He paid for the town water fountain by Walmart. That was about 90 k. Is that enough? He's

Had 2 football camps, the second of which they found his dad dead of a heart attack one of the days of his camp. But he still finished the camp while still grieving. Most people wouldn't do that. There was no camp last year due to the fact he was in Florida training trying to get a contract. We are planning to do a camp this year if possible. Truth of the matter is that Mr Bradshaw has done nothing wrong in over 5 years,but some people just can't let things go. And you know what that is their problem, its a character flaw on those folks part.Us of those who get it choose to look forward. Not wallow in hate.

Why did he get the Hammer? He didn't really attack anybody?

Instigating will get you put in the box every time...besides, I had an itchy hammer finger...it had been a while...

You're probably right about that. Also consider that Lawrence Tynes hasn't missed a FG within the 30 yard line, including extra points, in 4 years.

He was due, then. And I'm sure the announcers would have stated such automatically putting the jinx on him...

There are certain things you don't talk about...no hitters, streaks, Fight Club...

All the reason for me to defend Ahmad's decision. The law of averages is catching up to Tynes. There's also the possibility of having it blocked. If I'm making this call, I'm scoring the touchdown 100% of the time, especially when my defense has been playing as well as the Giants defense played. If they score after driving 80 yards in one minute, they deserve to win.

Yeah, and I can't disagree with you here either. It would have been highly unfortunate for Tynes to have his first miss at the end of the Super Bowl.

Guest StoneyCalhoun
He paid for the town water fountain by Walmart. That was about 90 k. Is that enough? He's

Had 2 football camps, the second of which they found his dad dead of a heart attack one of the days of his camp. But he still finished the camp while still grieving. Most people wouldn't do that. There was no camp last year due to the fact he was in Florida training trying to get a contract. We are planning to do a camp this year if possible. Truth of the matter is that Mr Bradshaw has done nothing wrong in over 5 years,but some people just can't let things go. And you know what that is their problem, its a character flaw on those folks part.Us of those who get it choose to look forward. Not wallow in hate.

Probably more than enough considering no one is required, nor is it expected for anyone to give back. My first post stated that explicitly. No need to attack, I just asked a question cause I found nothing except one football camp in 2009. I don't keep up with it.

And not to push buttons, but just because I stress ethics and honesty, I believe you have your story wrong. The fountain was 34k, and no mention of Ahmad. Granted, this is WVVA so Ahmad could have been left out. I don't think the number would be wrong, although additions may have happened to bump up the price. No story on that though that I could find.

http://www.wvva.com/Global/story.asp?s=9231412&clienttype=printable

And Ahmad, may have done something wrong in the last few years, note his benching and the fact he violated parole and spent 30 days in jail.

I asked an honest question, and thanks to Lance to providing "some" detail, great info on the camps however. I would love to know what else is in the works, but I can wait. Hopefully a lot of good for the community will come out of it.

Please note that I do not, and never will hate Ahmad Bradshaw. In fact, I am kind of bland on the issue. I just took up for Variable, and saw his point, and I somewhat agree. My opinions are only from a moral and ethical background.

If you look back, both Variable and I said we do look to the future as well, as we both hope Ahmad does the right things going forward and the tainted past is erased (I gave 3 things I wanted to see).

I think this is an argument over morals, which will never be solved. I see your point, Ahmad messed up quite a few times, but he overcame them, and overcame being from a small town, to become an NFL starter. That is a great story. Variable and I agree it is nice, but to us, we look at it through a different lens. I speak for myself when I say I harbor no ill will towards AB, but I can not and will not condone his actions, but he has plenty of time to correct them.

Edited by StoneyCalhoun

The smart thing to do would have been to center the ball with a qb sneak, take as much time off the clock as possible and then kick the field goal.....end of discussion. If it wasnt the best thing for the Giants to do then why did the Patriots part like the Red Sea and let AB score. Even though he thought just a little too late to stop, he shouldnt have been put in that situation. Why risk a handoff and a possible strip if you are playing for a field goal.

The best post in this thread in my opinion.

I'm happy for Ahmad for the win, but seems like everyone on here is sugarcoating the fact he was told not to score and did it anyway...even he acknowledged he screwed up.

We know in hindsight it worked out, but Tynes hitting a field goal from that distance was at least a 97% probability, versus maybe a 15 or 20% chance of Brady leading the Pats to a score in the final 57 seconds.

Just going on what I was told, and believe me I have a great source. He went to jail for a probation violation at Marshall over the original violation at UVA. That was not anything he did just a doctor with a grudge. Another hater.