The 2012 Atlanta Braves thread....

Lance

Starting to have flashbacks to last Sept., especially after blowing last night's game in the 9th and extras. If they do not make the playoffs this year does the club continue on with Gonzalez as manager? At least the last of Cox's teams made the playoff before falling apart...

I think they should have made a change already...not a Freddie fan.

Chipper needs to stay for one more, he's still productive...I thought a couple of years ago it was time for him to hang it up, but i was wrong...i think he could go one more if he wanted to.

Well, I know its officially football season, but things are looking OK for the Braves as of today...

7.0 game overall lead in the NL Wild Card Race

5.5 games back in the NL East

99.3% of making the playoffs

21 games above .500

Andletron Simmons is back in the lineup tonight and ready to go.

The East may be out of reach at 5.5 games back, but a 3-game series win/sweep at home against the Nats this weekend could make things interesting. Couple in the fact that WAS has 3 games left against LAD and STL and 6 to play against Philly... and they aren't pitching Strasburg anymore.

If the Braves win some games down the stretch we may be looking at a division title. Not holding my breath, but its still a little exciting to think about.

Well, I know its officially football season, but things are looking OK for the Braves as of today...

7.0 game overall lead in the NL Wild Card Race

5.5 games back in the NL East

99.3% of making the playoffs

21 games above .500

Andletron Simmons is back in the lineup tonight and ready to go.

The East may be out of reach at 5.5 games back, but a 3-game series win/sweep at home against the Nats this weekend could make things interesting. Couple in the fact that WAS has 3 games left against LAD and STL and 6 to play against Philly... and they aren't pitching Strasburg anymore.

If the Braves win some games down the stretch we may be looking at a division title. Not holding my breath, but its still a little exciting to think about.

It's certainly possible. Washington's really been treading water lately. Sad thing is, so have the Braves. Braves MUST sweep this weekend to have any rational chance at the division title. I don't like the prospects of playing St. Louis in the 1-game playoff.

This whole Strasburg thing has just been crazy to watch play out...the Nats upper management have completely distracted and pissed off their own team, which was on cruise control to win the division...the fact we are even talking about the Braves having an outside shot at winning the east is insane. I still can't believe they have handled it this way...just amazing amount of failure involved on several levels.

Just dawned on me but the Phillies are only 5 games out of the final wild card. I don't think the other teams would like to face the Phils in the playoffs, pitching they say wins championships.

if pitching won championships, the Braves would have 15 or so...

for those not keeping score at home, after a nice little 5 game win streak to give us hope it's looking like the annual collapse is underway again...Braves look like they are serving up meatballs the last two nights.

The Cardinals look like a collapse waiting to happen. Would love to see the Dodgers lap them, especially since Medlen would likely get the ball in the 1-game playoff. And the Braves just won't lose with Medlen up.

There's a lot of confidence in that post. As a Braves fan also, I have nowhere near that confidence level and in-fact feel Cardinals or Dodgers will beat the Braves in the single elimination wild-card game. There has been too much inconsistency from the Braves' hitters and pitchers throughout the season for my confidence to be high.

Another Braves win and Medlen shutout. 21 straight wins when he takes the mound.

He is absolutely dealing right now. 8-1 in 10 starts with a 0.74 ERA.

I know he has no shot, but IMO he is Cy Young worthy. If he would've started in April and put up this kind of effort all season long then it would be a run away. He's by far the best pitcher in baseball right now.

Its an interesting comparison between he and Strasburg who would be in Cy Young consideration. Both had TJ surgery within a week of each other. Strasburg started the year in the rotation, and ran out of innings due to his limit. The Braves have said they would limit Medlin's innings also, and chose to start him in the pen to prolong his season. His stats (other than Ks) are ahead of Strasburgs. I tweeted Buster Olney last night asking if he would receive any Cy Young consideration.

Its an interesting comparison between he and Strasburg who would be in Cy Young consideration. Both had TJ surgery within a week of each other. Strasburg started the year in the rotation, and ran out of innings due to his limit. The Braves have said they would limit Medlin's innings also, and chose to start him in the pen to prolong his season. His stats (other than Ks) are ahead of Strasburgs. I tweeted Buster Olney last night asking if he would receive any Cy Young consideration.

I know it's not supposed to be this way, but unless the Braves go deep in to the playoffs and he continues to put up good numbers he wont even be a blip on the radar for Cy Young...just the way it is...Cy is all about wins and ERA and if you don't have a final number of 19 or so in the W box then you get looked over unless you post a ridiculously low ERA.

His ERA is 1.51 with 125 innings pitched. If he were to go 24 more innings this season like he has been, his ERA could be lower than his innings pitched which is unreal. I dont expect that to happen, but would be quite the accomplishment if true.