New Coach in Tazewell?

Gym

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

heard they were interviewing today and/or tomorrow 4 coaches applied or being interviewed.

too bad they already picked one, i guess the interviews are a formality to keep from landing in court.

Shane played against my brother back in their high school days. He was a great player. If given a chance, he will be a great coach but from what I understand, that would require great change from the community.

By: By Jim Talbert\staff | Richlands News Press

Published: May 15, 2012 Updated: May 15, 2012 - 7:50 AM

http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2012/may/15/carroll-county-coach-headed-tazewell-ar-1915744/

TAZEWELL – A man who believes in hard nosed smash mouth football is the new head coach at Tazewell.

The school approved Carroll County Defensive Coordinator Shane Allen for the job at its May 14 meeting. Allen, who will teach special education at Tazewell High School, said he would be in town May 17 to meet the players, administration and staff.

A Carroll County native, Allen played for the Cavaliers, graduating in 1994 and taking his talents to Ferrum College.

After four years of playing for the Panthers, he spent a year as a graduate assistant there. He then returned to Hillsville as part of the staff of Thomas Hale and that group has experienced 11 winning seasons in 13 years.

He outlined his plans for the Tazewell team to the interview committee last week. He said he would ‘beat the bushes’ to find players. He said he would visit the middle school and ask all of the eighth graders to play football.

Allen said he would evaluate his personnel; before deciding what schemes to use but favored a spread version of the Wing T offense. In addition to helping with football, Allen has also coached track at Carroll County.

From what I heard....He was not the first choice...but, was a MUCH better choice than what was on the table to start with. I hope he comes in and cleans house right off the bat. I'd get rid of everyone already there and just start over if at all possible.

Also, all this "hard nosed" crap is just going to scare off some kids that might otherwise play...you don't need a coach that has a reputation of being a hard ass, you want a coach that cares about your kids and the program and is dedicated to winning...you don't always need to smash every problem with a sledge hammer.

Tazewell has a long way to go...it's more than just a coach can fix. I wish the guy luck, he's going to need all of it he can get.

*just fyi, not referring to Scammell as the other choice either...there was someone on the table before the job was shopped.

From what I heard....He was not the first choice...but, was a MUCH better choice than what was on the table to start with. I hope he comes in and cleans house right off the bat. I'd get rid of everyone already there and just start over if at all possible.

Also, all this "hard nosed" crap is just going to scare off some kids that might otherwise play...you don't need a coach that has a reputation of being a hard ass, you want a coach that cares about your kids and the program and is dedicated to winning...you don't always need to smash every problem with a sledge hammer.

Tazewell has a long way to go...it's more than just a coach can fix. I wish the guy luck, he's going to need all of it he can get.

*just fyi, not referring to Scammell as the other choice either...there was someone on the table before the job was shopped.

Shane believes in hard nosed, smash mouth football. That does not mean nor should it imply that HE is a hard ass. He has enough on his plate, let's not add to it with by taking newspaper quotes out of context. The kids will love him, it's the rest of the community that I am concerned about.

How does hard nosed translate into hard ass ? Glynn Carlock played hard nosed football but I never met one of his players that didn't like him. I interpret that to mean the man understands teh kind of football they play in the Southwest District

Well, I am not from Tazwell and can't say I have ever been there in my life but the fact still remains, Shane is going to have enough to deal with from what I understand about the hierarchy in and around the athletic programs in Tazwell. Don't add to it by getting something unfairly started on a meaningless message board.