Carroll & Pulaski To MED or TRD

ChanteHokie1

According to a cousin of mine that lives in Blacksburg, he's heard that Carroll County & Pulaski County are thinking about trying to enter into the Mountain Empire or the Three Rivers District because of travel concerns. That means two division IV schools in a league of division I & II schools. Strange? Right?

IF CC and PC become 3A under the new system then it could happen. but both are pretty large schools so I dont see that happening

The districts could realign; 1 small school, 1 large but thats a HUGE can of worms and can go a thousand ways

With the new classification system district changes are expected to take place. How many and how dramatic is the question

Edited by redtiger

According to a cousin of mine that lives in Blacksburg, he's heard that Carroll County & Pulaski County are thinking about trying to enter into the Mountain Empire or the Three Rivers District because of travel concerns.

Don't count on it...

According to a cousin of mine that lives in Blacksburg, he's heard that Carroll County & Pulaski County are thinking about trying to enter into the Mountain Empire or the Three Rivers District because of travel concerns. That means two division IV schools in a league of division I & II schools. Strange? Right?

Unbelievable......what is Salem too far now?

Somebody must be way out of touch because the latest info suggest VHSL is considering doing away with the traditional districts mentioned anyway. Link below.

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/rr-2013-15-Initial-Proposed-Conferences.pdf

Someone must not understand that the "Conferences" are for playoffs only. Districts will remain for regular season and are different from the "Conferences" you linked...

Someone must not understand that the "Conferences" are for playoffs only. Districts will remain for regular season and are different from the "Conferences" you linked...

This someone knows that districts mean absolutely nothing after this move. Matter of fact, they mean absolutely nothing in single A right now.

This someone knows that districts mean absolutely nothing after this move. Matter of fact, they mean absolutely nothing in single A right now.

They still mean quite a bit to regular season scheduling...

Speaking of districts- the VHSL has apparently shot down the proposed Lebanon, Lee, Union, and Wise district. Seems there will be no changes in the immediate future to Region D.

Does this mean that there will still be a lonesome pine district next year?

Anybody really surprised that Carroll and PUlaski would want to go to a district with smaller teams?... I'm not.

Not had much experience with Pulaski, but Carroll being part of this dicussion doesn't surprise me at all. Hated them as a player, not feeling much different now.

Anybody really surprised that Carroll and PUlaski would want to go to a district with smaller teams?... I'm not.

I wasnt surprised, but what I thought was funny is how Region D didnt wont Richlands, Tazewell, and Marion but was all right with take in Abingdon.

Unbelievable......what is Salem too far now?

Yes it's unbelievable because it's not true. Carroll is in the River Ridge unless something really unexpected happens, and then the move would be to the Piedmont.

Carroll and Pulaski both appealed Franklin County's placement in the RRD.

BTW, Salem's no worse than traveling to Tazewell. But four Roanoke Valley schools AND Franklin County is too much.

Carroll and Pulaski both appealed Franklin County's placement in the RRD.

In the original realignment proposal, Franklin County was slated to join the Seminole. Does anybody know why they were switched to the RRD?

I'm not aware of any huge opposition to them from within the Seminole (at least not locally). Just curious as to whether this might be something that the folks in Rocky Mount requested. Given my understanding of the "spanning" allowance (allowing teams from different divisions to form districts), the Piedmont isn't an option for them. And given the travel realities, RRD is probably a slightly better choice than the Seminole.

In the original realignment proposal, Franklin County was slated to join the Seminole. Does anybody know why they were switched to the RRD?

I'm not aware of any huge opposition to them from within the Seminole (at least not locally). Just curious as to whether this might be something that the folks in Rocky Mount requested. Given my understanding of the "spanning" allowance (allowing teams from different divisions to form districts), the Piedmont isn't an option for them. And given the travel realities, RRD is probably a slightly better choice than the Seminole.

I would think that wherever they go, the district would welcome the challenge....

Franklin Co. should be the ones concerned about travel...

I wasnt surprised, but what I thought was funny is how Region D didnt wont Richlands, Tazewell, and Marion but was all right with take in Abingdon.

Richlands, Tazewell, and Marion dont really "fit" in the Region D geographically. Abingdon would be a much better fit

Richlands, Tazewell, and Marion dont really "fit" in the Region D geographically. Abingdon would be a much better fit

I guess I'm not helpin Region D's cause here, but Richlands and Tazewell would be a better "fit" for Region D geographically than for Region C, IMO. Marion would be a better "fit" for Region C geographically obviously. So I'm not sure why "D" wouldn't want them at this point.

And as far as districts, in the CMD its certainly not as much as a numbers issue. Obviously if you throw them into the BDD with the smaller schools the numbers game comes into play, but the funny thing is I think the BDD teams can hold their own with those schools in every sport minus RHS football. Will they for sure be in the CMD? Is that the final answer, there is so much conversation I've gotten lost on facts and speculation??

I guess I'm not helpin Region D's cause here, but Richlands and Tazewell would be a better "fit" for Region D geographically than for Region C, IMO. Marion would be a better "fit" for Region C geographically obviously. So I'm not sure why "D" wouldn't want them at this point.

And as far as districts, in the CMD its certainly not as much as a numbers issue. Obviously if you throw them into the BDD with the smaller schools the numbers game comes into play, but the funny thing is I think the BDD teams can hold their own with those schools in every sport minus RHS football. Will they for sure be in the CMD? Is that the final answer, there is so much conversation I've gotten lost on facts and speculation??

Apparently, that's what they are really going for (adding Richlands, Abingdon, Tazewell, and Marion to the CMD). Hawkins from Battle (who's on the region D board or something like that) proposed a different plan that would do away with the LPD and CMD and make two new, smaller districts. Can't remember who would go where, but his plan was shot down and they went for this one (though, you never know...they could change their minds again and Hawkins's crew can appeal this decision).

And as far as districts, in the CMD its certainly not as much as a numbers issue. Obviously if you throw them into the BDD with the smaller schools the numbers game comes into play, but the funny thing is I think the BDD teams can hold their own with those schools in every sport minus RHS football.

I think the problem is most/all of the Region D schools are happy with the districts as they are now. Marion/Tazewell/Richlands to Lee/Union/Central are long trips and I dont think the D schools wanted that. If Tazewell/Richlands or Marion were located where Lebanon is I dont think it would be an isssue. So the solution would be to redo the districts and they didnt really want that either.

Obviously something is gonna have to be done and personally I think its completly revamping SWVA(BDD, LPD, CMD, CD, HD, SWD, MED and TRD) into large and small school districts.

Putting any of the Tazewell co schools in the BDD is a bad idea, no way Hurley/TV or even worse Council should have to compete against schools that much larger. But you are right, the BDD schools could compete(more or less) with Tazewell, Richlands and Marion.

Edited by redtiger