Union @ Richlands

Nadoball

Any thoughts...........Predictions

Richlands pulled off a close one at Union last season are we in for another close one at Ernie Hicks?

I look for another close game with Richlands pulling out with the victory.

Richlands 21 Union 14

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its all according to a couple of things. Can Richlands throw the ball, if so look for Richlands to score a bunch, the Bears are young in the defensive backfield. Does Richlands have a big defensive front, if so they will slow the Bears running game. Union does have some speed around the corners and the backs hit the holes wide open, so lots of ifs. Bears by 3, they do have a nice kicker.

The Bears rushed for 430 yards last Friday night while defeating Lee High but I suspect it says more about the Generals being young and weak than it does about the Bears chances to move the ball against Richlands. But as a Union fan it was certainly nice to see two different running backs go over 100 yards rushing in the same game (Davis and McCray) - that did not include senior back Ben Baugh, who @ 6'1" 200 lbs is the Bears' most dependable blue collar runner. (I think Ben had 80+ yards.)

I'm hopeful that Union can get a few first downs by using a mixture of backs and a combination of mis-direction running plays to keep the ball away from Richlands - so that the game will at least be close. Union did outplay Gate City during the pre-season scrimmage so maybe they can do a bit better than the Blue Devils - I'm going to predict that Richlands wins the game 31 to 14.

Like last year, the Bears don't have a lot of speed but they have a depth. If they avoid turnovers they will probably be in most games.

I think it's going to be a very good ballgame that will be close. I think because it is at Ernie Hicks the blues win, but it will be a tough ballgame and will help both teams as the season goes along.

Union has a chance as they did last year. If they can run the ball consistently and keep it away from the blues they have a very good chance at a win. They sure got our RESPECT !

As Nado said, the blues need to cut down on the penalties, wayyyyy to many last week. but a lot of new starters in their first game at a tough place to play, so i think it will be a bit better this week.

Blues in a close, tough, hard hitting game !

I hope union wins!!!

Now why would you want that? I know you hate me and all my fellow Richlands natives (which is stupid given that most of us were born here and didn't choose it) but wouldn't you want us to come to Bluefield at 2-0? Looks a lot better if you beat a 2-0 team as compared to a 1-1 team. Just my opinion, however.

Btw, good luck to te G-Men this season minus next week. I love seeing one of the county teams back to form.

It's difficult to make the call. It has been for the past several seasons even before consolidation.

In 2007, Powell Valley and Richlands decided to renew their rivalry. That was an 8 point margin.

In 2008, remember that Richlands was a big favorite. Richlands kept making mistakes and that cost them the game 34 to 7.

In 2009, a costly last minute penalty by Powell Valley decided the game. In 2010, Richlands decided what the score was against Powell Valley.

Last year, Union almost pulled away.

So really, only one game (including pre-consolidation) in the last five years has been truly predictable.

So really, I can't predict this.

I hope union wins!!!

Now why would you want that? I know you hate me and all my fellow Richlands natives (which is stupid given that most of us were born here and didn't choose it) but wouldn't you want us to come to Bluefield at 2-0? Looks a lot better if you beat a 2-0 team as compared to a 1-1 team. Just my opinion, however.

Btw, good luck to te G-Men this season minus next week. I love seeing one of the county teams back to form.

I believe '97, by previous posts, pulls for the Dawgs.

You know the ole sayin..."if they ain't hatin', you ain't winning"...:D

I believe '97, by previous posts, pulls for the Dawgs.

You know the ole sayin..."if they ain't hatin', you ain't winning"...:D

He posted this in another thread "Not only beat you real bad but, don't like you! Don't like the program, the coaches or the community either!" which was in itself a reply to a post about how bad Graham wanted to beat us. So I just assumed. And I thought I had seen him post that he is a Graham supporter. Either way, to harbor a hate against a community, based on high school sports, is absurd. I've met plenty of people on this board from a lot of area schools, and I can tell you, they were All class acts.

Edited by Ryan4VT

Well one thing for sure there will only be one qb for the entire game brown is out having knee operation next week the 2 to 3 weeks rehab so I guess fate made the choice for coach hate to see anyone hurt but it will help backer and the wide outs get some timing down cause he will get all the reps for the next few weeks richlands by 17

Guest king kone
Well one thing for sure there will only be one qb for the entire game brown is out having knee operation next week the 2 to 3 weeks rehab so I guess fate made the choice for coach hate to see anyone hurt but it will help backer and the wide outs get some timing down cause he will get all the reps for the next few weeks richlands by 17
Heck with the QB....the kicking game will suffer....

I look for a good game, and understand that everyone wants to beat the Blues, but if "U" does not have much of a passing game, it could be a long night for them. I know they have a quality team with good players we all saw that last year, but I think the Blues win by 13.

last season Union escaped 5star stadium in a litteral 4th quarter comeback to win by 6 i think. Then the next week it came down to the wire and what was IMO one of the best fieldgoals I have seen in years for the Blues to come away with a win the 4th quarter at Bullit Park. This season the Bears walked all over Lee (who is down due to new coaching and loosing a few really good starters) and head to Ernie Hicks with what could be too much confedence or one huge ass chip on their shoulders.

Like the post about the past 5 years only one PV/Richlands matchup was perdictable and no matter what last season's records ended up both these teams will come to play.

Being at home for the Blues will be a good lift for them but lets not count out the bears heart. I know Union is filling in the entire defencive backfield with new starters and Richlands can throw but last season was basiclly the same concept. I look for this to be a close game that is decided in the last 5 minutes of the game. I hear alot about Union's conditioning, but trust me Turner is out of the era of hard work and conditioning wins games so Union will be alright there. Looking forward to a smash mouth old school football game this friday night. Good luck to both teams and may God watchout for the young men on the field.