The Backyard Brawl

Ryan4VT

For some reason I just can't believe the rivalry is back. Tazewell has struggled all year to move the ball and this Blues Defense is stout. I will be completely surprised if the subs aren't in by start of the third quarter. Gotta love the hype from the T-Towners they get excited pretty easily nowadays !!!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't had time to respond but here goes. I would like to see a really close game, but doubt that it will happen. I work with a lot of Bulldog fans and the trash talk has hit the high side the last couple of days. Bulldog fans, I hope beyond hope that it will be a good knock down drag out fight, but i think the Blues will bring all of you back to reality, and I see it Blues 48 Bulldogs 13.

For some reason I just can't believe the rivalry is back. Tazewell has struggled all year to move the ball and this Blues Defense is stout. I will be completely surprised if the subs aren't in by start of the third quarter. Gotta love the hype from the T-Towners they get excited pretty easily nowadays !!!

Tazewell hasn't had a lot of trouble moving the ball. Holding onto it is another story.

There will be plenty of explosion. Most people dont have any idea what problems this team has had to deal with. Its much better after a week off. I fully expect them to score forty or more this game.

One thing about this team that has been different in the past is they have had to play and battle in the second half. They will be much better prepared this year i think. Its seems for the past three years or so they peak a game or two early. That is obviously not the case this year.

Its true we are a better team with Baker in there but we still are capable of putting a bunch of points on the score board. Lets just hope we can peak at the right time this year. Ben has been battling with his back for over a month but is doing much better this week. Anybody that has watched Ben play knows he can run this offense effectively. It was obvious the past two weeks that he just couldn't do it. It was his back.

This bye week will prove to be a much needed one and the Blues will come out and look like the team we are used to fielding.

Sorry not with ya on this one, I personally don't think that Brown needs to be the QB. To me he is not a good QB and Baker is much much better than him at QB.

I was shocked Tazewell beat Abingdon...Carroll County is way down this year as Abingdon put a beat down on them...so i kinda figured the Dawgs would beat them or at least had a legit chance...but come on...this is still Richlands we are talking about here...they may not be bulletproof anymore, but they are still the best (AA) team in this area, by far.

Ben is in his FIRST year as the starting varsity QB...he rotated with Baker prior to his (Ben's) injury...then Gray assumed the role as starter.

Ben has battled injuries but, he has "soldiered" through and the team has won. (Big kudos to Michael Horton to step up in the last game... and able to recall some of his RMLF experience as QB when Ben was unable to continue because of his back. River Michaels has handled the 2nd. string duties admirably.)

Yes, Ben and Gray are different types of QB's, but both of their goals were the same on game day...walk off the field with a WIN. Personally, I worry more when Ben can't kick...because XP's and FG's could be the difference in winning or losing a game...re: Union, a two point game.

These two young men happen to be good friends too... hoping... Gray has a great rehab success story and is able to return for the upcoming baseball season too play with Ben on the diamond.

Edited by trublue

Ben is very capable. You ask Todd (#1) and AJ (#8) who they want to Qb and they both will tell you Ben. His back has hurt him more than what the average fan knows. It has made him look very uncomfortable in the pocket. That being said most of us Richlands fans will agree under the circumstances Horton would be our pick going forward to the playoffs.

Horton has a strong arm so throwing is not the issue. A Richlands Qb is by far the most important piece in our offense. They check and audible almost every play. He has so much power to call the right play. This is Hortons problem, he just doesn't have the reps. He is getting half of them now but he is several thousand behind. Ben and Grey have took thousands of reps since spring and that is huge with timing issues with the receivers

Horton can do it but he needs the throwing experience at game speed. I suspect you will see him throw more when he comes in from now on but Ben will start and Horton comes in for special occasions. That's my two cents for what its worth

Remember the last time richlands yard Tazewell on Saturday? The conditions were similar that week to what they are this week. I just hope Tazewell realizes they don't have to be scared! Break the trend.

The football field is completely clear and mostly dry. The temperatures are going to be in the fifties and mostly sunny. The only concern was the snow in the grandstand and its almost clear.

The football field will be perfect conditions. That's one of the advantages in having turf. Thanks again Mr. Bowerbank!

The football field is completely clear and mostly dry. The temperatures are going to be in the fifties and mostly sunny. The only concern was the snow in the grandstand and its almost clear.

The football field will be perfect conditions. That's one of the advantages in having turf. Thanks again Mr. Bowerbank!

I'm sorry and no disrespect to the teams that have it but turf still can't replace grass. I know it can make for a sloppy field and interesting situations, but that is what football was about for years.

I'm sorry and no disrespect to the teams that have it but turf still can't replace grass. I know it can make for a sloppy field and interesting situations, but that is what football was about for years.

come on over to Grundy tonight...you'll see all the mud you want for the year! lol

I have to say that is probably one of the muddiest fields I have ever seen in all that I have been to!

And....It's going to be a mess tonight!

Ironically, Mt Views field is actually worse...lol.

Tazewell hasn't had a lot of trouble moving the ball. Holding onto it is another story.

I'm confused Tazewell hasn't had trouble moving the ball this year, maybe in the 2nd half when the other teams jv is in thats what your talking about I remember the Giles game ok. You bulldogs are losing it. Sorry guys keep dreaming we have a program you are trying to build the foundation for one now, I like your new coach I think he will be successful in time but 2 wins and suddenly you guys are in 1986 again give me a break BLUES by as many as they want.

I always loved playing on natural grass when the conditions were sloppy. I think most players like it. But I think there is something to be said for field turf and playing conditions as well. I remember people complaining about the Richlands field (with the crown) before field turf was put in, and now no one complains about field conditions.

I'm confused Tazewell hasn't had trouble moving the ball this year, maybe in the 2nd half when the other teams jv is in thats what your talking about I remember the Giles game ok. You bulldogs are losing it. Sorry guys keep dreaming we have a program you are trying to build the foundation for one now, I like your new coach I think he will be successful in time but 2 wins and suddenly you guys are in 1986 again give me a break BLUES by as many as they want.

7 post! Really!

Marched ball down field on Graham and Lebanon. Fumbled the ball away. Not saying that they would have been wins but if you can't hold onto the ball it doesn't matter how many yards you get. Just look at the Hokies last night.

I don't think the blues will be able to score at will on the dogs and win by as many as they want. The dogs have improved as a team and this coach seems to be guiding them in the right direction.

But I also don't think the dogs will be able to move the ball as easily this week as they have in their last few games. The blues D is stout and will be better than most of, if not all of the D's Ttown has seen this year, but the blues have had some issues on the O side of the ball since Baker went down, and if we have the same type of issues on that side of the ball again......penalties and turnovers then this game could stay close for a while.

But I think the blues will end up winning at home by around 14 to 17 points.

But make no mistake........the bulldogs are on their way back to where they should be, which will make for a great Backyard brawl again !

Edited by Bigrhsfan

Stats for the Blues & Dawgs per BHC 11/2/12:

Rushing:

Staten, Richlands - 9 games, 159 carries, 1356 yds, 8.5 YPC

McReynolds, Tazewell - 9 games, 120 carries, 657 yds, 5.4 YPC

Davis, Tazewell - 6 games, 65 carries, 234 yds, 3.6 YPC

Scoring:

A.J. Johnson, Richlands - 14 TDs, 84 total

Staten, Richlands - 10 TDs, 60 points

McReynolds, Tazewell - 8 TDs, 9 XPs, 57 total

Brown, Richlands - 1 TD, 4 FGs, 25 XPs, 43 total

Jordan, Tazewell - 6 TDs, 36 total

TDs Passing:

Baker, Richlands - 14

McCann, Tazewell - 6

Brown, Richlands - 2

McReynolds, Tazewell - 1

TD Receptions:

A.J. Johnson, Richlands - 12

Jordan, Tazewell - 6

McGlothlin, Richlands - 2

Mountain, Tazewell - 1

Hunsaker, Richlands - 1

Doud, Richlands - 1

Life has many choices---eternity two

I want a win for sure, but no matter what the outcome shall be, I just can't wait to witness the atmosphere of the game, you got the flaming R helmet in one end zone the Big Bulldog in the other, all the fans cheering.... Hell yeah what football is all about!

Guest rhsfanandstudent

Anyone have any clue about the Tazewell/Richlands DVD, that was being discussed earlier in the year, is still coming about?

Anyone have any clue about the Tazewell/Richlands DVD, that was being discussed earlier in the year, is still coming about?

Yeah it is still in the works.... He was gonna shoot some action from the game, but with it being moved to Saturday he will not be able to make it into town to do so!