richlands vs cave spring

ba961

OK, I checked the VHSL records...Richlands has been slacking!!! :D

Gosh, can you believe it...they're in 8th. place behind some of these "upstarts" Phoebus, Oscar Smith, Stone Bridge, and Salem, (the big boys) :) in VHSL Football - Top 50 Programs (2000-12).

We, also, trail some of the smaller "kids" on the block ...Gretna, Riverheads and one of our common opponents, Gate City.

Following a list of the top ten:

http://www.vhsl-reference.com/bestprograms.cfm

(See above link for data for teams listed below)

1 Phoebus

2 Gretna

3 Stone Bridge

4 Salem (Roanoke)

5 Oscar Smith

6 Riverheads

7 Gate City

8 Richlands

9 Amherst County

10 William Campbell

Eighth place statewide overall for the last 12 years...what a "dismal" record and showing. :D

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This. This. This. This. This.

All Mance has done is make is the ENVY of every program around here. There are teams that would like to go .500 every year, we go .900 and .1000 consistently. Don't complain. Don't bitch. Be THANKFUL for all that we have.

Imagine if Mance did leave, I'm betting ALL teams from Tazewell, Smyth, Russell, Buchanan, Wise, Washington & Scott counties would be celebrating.

OK, I checked the VHSL records...Richlands has been slacking!!! :D

Gosh, can you believe it...they're in 8th. place behind some of these "upstarts" Phoebus, Oscar Smith, Stone Bridge, and Salem, (the big boys) :) in VHSL Football - Top 50 Programs (2000-12).

We, also, trail some of the smaller "kids" on the block ...Gretna, Riverheads and one of our common opponents, Gate City.

Following a list of the top ten:

http://www.vhsl-reference.com/bestprograms.cfm

(See above link for data for teams listed below)

1 Phoebus

2 Gretna

3 Stone Bridge

4 Salem (Roanoke)

5 Oscar Smith

6 Riverheads

7 Gate City

8 Richlands

9 Amherst County

10 William Campbell

Eighth place statewide overall for the last 12 years...what a "dismal" record and showing. :D

Richlands Football really needs to pick it up, This is just unacceptable, lol lol

Richlands Football really needs to pick it up, This is just unacceptable, lol lol

depends on what your goals are i guess.

Myself, I'd be happy with it, but others seem to judge success by winning state.

I've already outlined what the problem is though, until there is a legit speed and conditioning school on this part of the state then the gap will just continue to increase between "us" and "them".

As this program continues to decline in the next few years those of you who are offended will join the BAND WAGON. Sorry to bust your bubble but there are many in the stands who are loyal fans who feel the same as I do. By the way , I havent missed a game in 21 years so take that and shove it.

Buddy, if you think the program is in decline you haven't paid attention to the talent coming up!! I predict a run starting next year for three years of state appearances!! With the new alignment it's going to be fun.

I don't think anyone said Mance should go. He is the cream of the crop. I would be the first to be very disappointed that he would not be on the RHS sideline. I still stand by my statement that i feel the game plan should have been different. In saying that i am a fan and not in the locker room. It is his show and he runs it the way he should. Next year is another year and I am already looking forward to it.

As far as I'm concerned Greg Mance needs to start packing.

I don't think anyone said Mance should go. He is the cream of the crop. I would be the first to be very disappointed that he would not be on the RHS sideline. I still stand by my statement that i feel the game plan should have been different. In saying that i am a fan and not in the locker room. It is his show and he runs it the way he should. Next year is another year and I am already looking forward to it.

I think you need to read the posts again. This is what was said.

Thought this was a message board where you could state your "opinion." Some of you act as if someone was assaulted. You don't have to agree with what is posted. Simply agree to disagree. Here are two facts that none of you can argue:

1. You have to run the football to win...especially in the playoffs.

2. Discipline. It is not a luxury it is a necessity. Richlands is not a disciplined team.

I've said it for 3 years now...CS has too much speed for Richlands. They send their skill position kids to speed school in Roanoke and they reap the benefits of it. They play other schools in that area that do the same thing, but the difference in that part of the state and our part of the state is speed.

We get a team that can comepete with that every now and then like Clintwood the past two years...it remains to be seen how well Clintwood will do this year, but last year they were lucky and won...they had just enough speed and power to win it all...and what they lacked in speed they made up for in power....Richlands just doesn't have that right now.

In fact, without the McGlothlin kid, it would have been interesting to see what the Blues would have done this year...having a big physical WR like that is a huge plus...I don't know if they have anyone else who could give them what he has to offer.

Richlands is still way ahead of the curve for teams around here, but the years of speed conditioning from the other part of the state has passed them by. Until you solve that, don't expect to go very far in the playoffs when you have to match up with teams from that area...just not going to happen...well, unless you have the power game that can make up for a lack of real speed.

Just my opinion Lance. Speed didn't have a lot to do with it. There are two Cave Spring kids that come to mind when reading your post (1. Michael Cole - played when Richlands did beat CS and 2. Wright - exceptionally talented RB) For me, the speed camp doesn't hold water. CS hasn't had that many fast kids in the last 3-4 years. Richlands struggled up front and continued to make bone head plays at critical times. Other than 2-4 fifteen yard penalties per game, the kid you mention was a non-factor (offensively) in most games that I watched. Most of the rest of you post I agree with. However, I didn't think that Cave Spring was a world beater. An above average team at best. Their Nose Tackle and QB were pretty good. The RB had a quick step and our defense had too many break downs.

I am not tornado cat...

I think the point he's trying to get across is that you said "I don't think anyone on here said Mance should go." And he showed you where someone did, in fact, say that Mance should go. Don't think he was pointing it toward you. Just showing you where someone said he should go (real or not).

Thought this was a message board where you could state your "opinion." Some of you act as if someone was assaulted. You don't have to agree with what is posted. Simply agree to disagree. Here are two facts that none of you can argue:

1. You have to run the football to win...especially in the playoffs.

2. Discipline. It is not a luxury it is a necessity. Richlands is not a disciplined team.

I agree, this is a place where people can state opinions, but I also believe that goes both ways. His statement about coach Mance "packing his bags" is absolutely asinine. A lot of us who are devoted fans and alum of RHS and coach Mance took offense to that. The man's record speaks for itself. Coach Mance is not perfect, and I'm sure he knows there are areas in which he can improve, but that doesn't mean the man needs to pack his bags.

Edited by blueinbama

As a true blue fan I must say that Mance is still a heck of a coach. True, CS won the game, and deserved to win, and there may have been some question as to the way the Blues played, especially wasting three time outs within the first five minutes, but we all have to remember that these players are teen-agers not professionals.

We all knew that CS would be a good team with the games they played this year, and the toughness of their opponets, so I don't think it is fair for anyone to call for the coaches head on a platter. Defeat is and always will be a hard pill to swallow, and we all have been spoiled by the success of the Blues, but I for one look forward to next year with great excitement.

Hats off to all who play and coach this team, and thank God for this wonderful "GAME" we call football. Defeat will not kill you it should make you stronger.

CS was the better team on friday night and the outcome proved it. So here is wishing them well and good luck in the next game. The Blues will bounce back next year and be a better team for it. Thank all of you for being so active on this board, it really helps this old Blues fan to read all of your post, even if I don't agree with all of them.

This year has been fun and next year will be even better. God Bless all of you, and I hope you all have a Blessed OFF SEASON.

Just my opinion Lance. Speed didn't have a lot to do with it. There are two Cave Spring kids that come to mind when reading your post (1. Michael Cole - played when Richlands did beat CS and 2. Wright - exceptionally talented RB) For me, the speed camp doesn't hold water. CS hasn't had that many fast kids in the last 3-4 years. Richlands struggled up front and continued to make bone head plays at critical times. Other than 2-4 fifteen yard penalties per game, the kid you mention was a non-factor (offensively) in most games that I watched. Most of the rest of you post I agree with. However, I didn't think that Cave Spring was a world beater. An above average team at best. Their Nose Tackle and QB were pretty good. The RB had a quick step and our defense had too many break downs.

To be honest, CS should have beaten you guys 3 years in a row now...that first game was a gift to you from the refs. You should be 0-3 against CS and not 1-2.

If you don't see the speed on the CS team then you are turning a blind eye to it. No they are not world beaters, they are an avg team for the area they play in because they are on a level playing field...they are better than anyone in this part of the state though and would probably beat anyone except maybe Clintwood or maybe even GW on a good day might match up with them.

Everyone has an off game, but you can't just say "we made bone head plays" or whatever...the bottom line is you got your ass whipped by a better team...you didn't beat yourself...you got beaten.

Everyone has an off game, but you can't just say "we made bone head plays" or whatever...the bottom line is you got your ass whipped by a better team...you didn't beat yourself...you got beaten.

This should get the richlands faithful fired up lol

To be honest, CS should have beaten you guys 3 years in a row now...that first game was a gift to you from the refs. You should be 0-3 against CS and not 1-2.

Not true, Lance. You have been a broken record regarding that 2010 game and you are just flat out wrong. The better team won that day. What gift gave Richlands the game? The penalty call that eliminated a 70 yard td that would have brought Cave to within 6 points? Hell, the following week Richlands defeated a Brookville team that had more speed than Cave and also beat Cave that year….

no disrespect to the Richalnds folks, but it's just true. I've heard every excuse in the world out of the Bluenecks so far from "bone head plays" to "Mance can't win a playoff game" to "it's the QB's fault" to "we don't play well after an off week" to "we didn't have AJ"...whatever...it's not just one thing in particular it's across the board...you lost to a better team. In my opinion there was a gross mismatch in speed and endurance training. There is a reason you can't tackle those guys like you do everyone else you destroyed this year...you didn't "suddenly" just forget how to play. Come on.

Not true, Lance. You have been a broken record regarding that 2010 game and you are just flat out wrong. The better team won that day. What gift gave Richlands the game? The penalty call that eliminated a 70 yard td that would have brought Cave to within 6 points? Hell, the following week Richlands defeated a Brookville team that had more speed than Cave and also beat Cave that year….

penalties cost CS 2 TDs in that game...the big one, on the off side away from where the play went the ref throws a flag for the back side WR not getting within the numbers in time...after the ball was 30 yards up the field and clearly headed for a TD...that was a dirty call.

The other was a hold on the other side of the field from where the ball was...had nothing to do with the play and wasn't thrown until after the ball was well up field.

CS should have won that game, you guys were lucky to get the win...just being honest about the way I saw it...I have no bias towards either team, if i did I would be leaning more towards Richlands side than CS for sure.

Richlands got the win in that first game and it's great they did, I just think they were very lucky to get it. That's the way the ball bounces sometimes, you get lucky...to me, Richlands got lucky...very easily could have gone the other way and you know that if you are honest about it.

Actually, that doesn't fire me up at all. Lance said exactly what I said after the game. We got beat by a better team. Cave had a better quarterback, better running backs, better o and d line, better d-backs, better special teams, better everything. Richlands got beat in all three phases of the game. Gray Baker and A J may have made it closer, who knows, but in my opinion Richlands was just not as good as Cave. Period. I disagree with Lance about the 2010 game. The better team won that day. Sure there were some calls that went Richland's way, but when is the last time any calls by refs in championship games went our way? Remember the Poquoson game? Stuff happens, but I don't think Cave Spring was the better team in 2010. No way.

Edited by blueinbama

Actually, that doesn't fire me up at all. Lance said exactly what I said after the game. We got beat by a better team. Cave had a better quarterback, better running backs, better o and d line, better d-backs, better special teams, better everything. Richlands got beat in all three phases of the game. Gray Baker and A J may have made it closer, who knows, but in my opinion Richlands was just not as good as Cave. Period. I disagree with Lance about the 2010 game. The better team won that day.

The better team may have won, the two were pretty evenly matched up and the game could have went either way...it was like watching two heavy weights fight it out...back and forth...could have watched that game for another 4 quarters easily that night...not saying Richlands wasn't a better team...the better team doesn't always win the game...I'm just saying you guys were lucky to get out of there that night with the win, the way things went down I think CS probably should have won it if not for the refs...but, that's the way it goes...the bigger picture is that there is a growing divide in the football you are playing now vs what that same team is playing now...it's gone from being evenly matched to basically a blowout over the course of 3 seasons.

The big thing is that Richlands is the premier program in our area, and if you guys can't hang with a team like CS then that speaks volumes to a problem that many, as you see here in this very thread, don't seem to want to acknowledge.

Congratulations to Richlands on another great season!!! Ten years ago a 9-2 season would have earned you a parade. Now it gets fans fighting with each other on the internet. That's progress!!! Just ignore the garbage and be proud of what you've accomplished. Seniors, thanks for four solid years of hard work. Underclassmen, hit the weight room on 12-1 and get after it!!!

The big thing is that Richlands is the premier program in our area, and if you guys can't hang with a team like CS then that speaks volumes to a problem that many, as you see here in this very thread, don't seem to want to acknowledge.

Speaks volumes to what? Starting next year we don't have to play schools that have much larger student bodies and had we moved down two years ago we may have won the last two division 2 championships. I don't know what you're trying to say.....