2013 Richlands Blue Tornado

rvtne216

Just heard a good story from a student thats playing football for Tazewell. He tells me that he and his mother had went to the Doctor yesterday (in the Graham area). The Doc tells the boy how his son and Bradshaw had run around together in high school and that he was a big supporter of Graham football. Then the student said the Doc told him and his mother that if he would come and play ball for Graham that he would give his mom a job and help find his father one to.

Sounds like Dr. Taylor...if so, not surprised by that "win at any cost" type of comment...he always told me, whoever has the most money and can buy the most toys, wins...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard a good story from a student thats playing football for Tazewell. He tells me that he and his mother had went to the Doctor yesterday (in the Graham area). The Doc tells the boy how his son and Bradshaw had run around together in high school and that he was a big supporter of Graham football. Then the student said the Doc told him and his mother that if he would come and play ball for Graham that he would give his mom a job and help find his father one to.

If she wants to pick up and move to Bluefield, VA....then what's the problem?

If they stay in Tazewell and does not move....then I see a problem with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hell, I'm sure there's someone in Bristol that'd get him to come to VHS, Battle, or THS

• 1 month later...

My understanding is that Richlands returns the bulk of their offensive line, their qb, and running back. I figure they may have to grow some receivers, but offensively they should be pretty good for the area.

Can anyone shed some light on the defensive situation?

They are playing a new defensive scheme this year 3-5. Someone said they have been looking at a lot of WV film. Coach Palmer is a great coach who makes adjustments, they should be really strong up front. Someone else told me they were running a 3-4 but Coach mance said 3-5 when I ask him.

They are playing a new defensive scheme this year 3-5. Someone said they have been looking at a lot of WV film. Coach Palmer is a great coach who makes adjustments, they should be really strong up front. Someone else told me they were running a 3-4 but Coach mance said 3-5 when I ask him.

LOL! That 3-5 really worked for WVU...

You have to have the athletes to run a 3-4 or 3-5-3. Particularly, a devastating NT and fast but strong OLBs.

If you don't have that? You're doomed.

You have to have the athletes to run a 3-4 or 3-5-3. Particularly, a devastating NT and fast but strong OLBs.

If you don't have that? You're doomed.

Pretty sure Marrs tried that 3-5 scheme at Graham and produced the two worst defenses in Graham High School football history...

Should have seen Poquoson, unbelievable and 2010 was one of the best offenses we ever had.

Aman, Poquoson had some really good LB's......they could really pursue and would lay the smack down on ya.

They must think we will be pretty deep and athletic at LB this season to go to the 3 5 alignment.

Edited by Bigrhsfan

I talked with Coach Mance yesterday and he is really excited about some new defensive packages for this season. He told me that him and Coach palmer went to clinic that the Ryan family hosted. They will be using some 46 packages and will blitz 90% of the time. They really enjoyed Rex said he was a great teacher. Mance laughed and said they will send the house on every play this year. Boys, I don't think many people will want to suit up against the Blues this year. Mance usually down plays the season, so I think they will be pretty good.

I talked with Coach Mance yesterday and he is really excited about some new defensive packages for this season. He told me that him and Coach palmer went to clinic that the Ryan family hosted. They will be using some 46 packages and will blitz 90% of the time. They really enjoyed Rex said he was a great teacher. Mance laughed and said they will send the house on every play this year. Boys, I don't think many people will want to suit up against the Blues this year. Mance usually down plays the season, so I think they will be pretty good.

Must have had a good recruiting class...

• 3 weeks later...

The 46 defense was inventive in 1985, not 2013. If Richlands takes the "Ryan" family style, should have coaches fist fighting on the sidelines.

On the contrary, you will find 10 opponents ready and willing to suit up against Richlands. There are teams in AA (Division II) that are capable of handling Richlands. Go ask Goochland and Gretna. Neither are afraid of Richlands. Need to be more concerned with getting better than "spreading the legend." Really concerned about stopping the run. Have had problems with that for the last few years. The problem with blitzing 90 % of the time is that it will open holes that give way to 80 yard runs. Prefer a more "fundamental" approach to defense. Just my 2 cents.

Well put! I agree, people and the players need to understand that just because we have "R" on our helmets doesn't mean victories will just fall at our feet.

OTE=old_school_blue;301833]The 46 defense was inventive in 1985, not 2013. If Richlands takes the "Ryan" family style, should have coaches fist fighting on the sidelines.

On the contrary, you will find 10 opponents ready and willing to suit up against Richlands. There are teams in AA (Division II) that are capable of handling Richlands. Go ask Goochland and Gretna. Neither are afraid of Richlands. Need to be more concerned with getting better than "spreading the legend." Really concerned about stopping the run. Have had problems with that for the last few years. The problem with blitzing 90 % of the time is that it will open holes that give way to 80 yard runs. Prefer a more "fundamental" approach to defense. Just my 2 cents.

I believe the division we are in now will be just as tough.......if not tougher than the one we were in ! Like most this time of the year, we have no idea what type of team we will have this coming year ! We sure don't want to look past anybody or take anything for granted ! Too many things can happen and there are a lot of good teams that have improved !

how did they look at marshall

Found this on another site:

GW beat the Richlands, VA team in overtime to win the 7 on 7 championship today. There was 12 teams participating in the tournament and very competitive games

I believe the GW mentioned is a WV team...(Geo Washington...???)