Abingdon's playoff road could be rough

Jason

http://www.tricities.com/sports/article_f473dfae-fa5c-11e2-a6df-001a4bcf6878.html

Mark Francisco is a pillar of the Abingdon community, a married father of three boys and a respected teacher and baseball coach at the town’s high school.

This summer, though, he’s walked around with his hands out wide, pleading across the state line for any assistance a kind-hearted soul might be willing to offer.

“I think every Tennessee coach I saw this summer, I said, ‘We need to play you,’ †Francisco said.

Simply put, Abingdon – at least when it comes to the new landscape of the Virginia High School League – no longer fits in far Southwest Virginia.

Under the six-class system that will take effect with the looming start of the 2013-14 school year, Abingdon is a whale out of water in the mountains, slotted as the only Class 3A school among 29 other 2A and 1A minnows in the westernmost corner of the commonwealth.

“I think in all the schools in Southwest Virginia,†Francisco said, “we probably have the strangest setup.â€

For a casual fan not used to keeping up with VHSL machinations, there may at first be few blaring signals to Abingdon’s new status.

The Falcons, as they have been for the past six years and were in plenty of yesteryears, are still members of the Southwest District, which will once again be a five-team league.

Their schedule in all sports will continue to feature recent SWD rivals Richlands and Tazewell, along with familiar foe Virginia High, a former district opponent now back in the Southwest fold. The other new Southwest member, Lebanon, has been a less common opponent in recent years, but played in the Southwest with Abingdon up until 1986.

Unfortunately for the Falcons, their recognizable Southwest niche will mean little when the new-look playoffs roll around.

The four other Southwest schools will be competing in 2A postseason brackets, leaving Abingdon with a regular-season slate largely devoid of teams it will face in November, late March and late May.

“It’s a unique situation to not play anyone in the regular season that you’re going to be playing in the playoffs,†Francisco said.

Two other local schools – 2A Marion in the otherwise 1A Hogoheegee District and 2A Grundy in the otherwise 1A Black Diamond District – are in similar situations to Abingdon, but the Scarlet Hurricanes and Golden Wave have plenty of nearby non-district 2A opponents to battle during the regular season.

Doing its postseason prep won’t be so easy for Abingdon.

The first postseason step for the Falcons in all sports except football will be Conference 32 tournaments, out of which, for the most part, two teams will advance to regional play.

The Falcons’ foes in Conference 32 aren’t exactly exotic as Blacksburg, Cave Spring, Christiansburg, Hidden Valley and Patrick County were common names in Group AA, Region IV play for Abingdon under the VHSL’s old three-class system.

“We’re in a conference with teams that we are familiar with,†said Abingdon athletic director and boys basketball coach B.J. Lasley.

Seeing those schools right out of the playoff gate, however, may pose a challenge to the Falcons.

All of the other five Conference 32 schools except Patrick County will continue to play in the River Ridge District, facing each other, three 4A institutions and 6A behemoth Patrick Henry-Roanoke.

Patrick County will compete in the Piedmont District during the regular season, taking on one 2A squad in Martinsville, but also two other 3A schools, two 4A, one 5A and one 6A.

With little crossover in regular-season schedules, Conference 32 has, according to Lasley, decided to rely mostly on a points system to determine seeding for the conference tournament.

Teams will get the same number of points as the classification of their opponent for each win and half for each loss – i.e. if Abingdon beats 2A Virginia High it will get two points and if Blacksburg loses to 4A district rival Salem it will also get two points.

It doesn’t take a mathematical genius to determine that the scheduling deck is stacked against Abingdon.

“My initial reaction really was that we’re going to have to run the table in the regular season to get a good seed in our conference tournament,†said Abingdon softball coach Jason Delp. “If we don’t run the table, I feel like we’re going to get no respect at all.â€

Lasley said a seeding committee is in place to ensure, say, a two-loss Abingdon softball squad isn’t slotted as the fifth-seeded team in the conference tournament, but with little head-to-head conference competition to rely on it will be hard for the Falcons to make their case during the regular season.

“All you can do is control what you can do day in and day out,†Lasley said.

Simply scheduling larger schools on the non-district slate is easier said than done for Lasley and his coaches.

For 2013-14 specifically, fall and winter sports had to get their games set as the details of the new system were still emerging last year.

“We’ve talked about it and looking at it we realize that based on this points system we’ve got to find a way to play some bigger schools,†Lasley said. “We really didn’t finalize this system until late in the year.â€

With no large schools to play in far Southwest Virginia, the best hope for the Falcons going forward may be to take on the big ’uns of Northeast Tennessee, which explains Francisco’s beggarly ways when he crossed paths with the coaches of the Volunteer State at camps this summer.

Lasley has played a home-and-home series with Sullivan East in recent years and this winter his boys basketball squad will take on Tennessee High as well. Francisco’s team also notably beat Dobyns-Bennett last year.

While Northeast Tennessee schools may prove to be at least somewhat of a salve to Abingdon’s conference seeding conundrum, playing bigger Virginia schools or even their 3A peers will be difficult for the Falcons.

The closest Conference 32 school to Abingdon is Christiansburg, a tick or two under 100 miles away.

Even if Abingdon is willing to load up the bus for a few hikes up Interstate 81 each season, there’s little incentive for the Conference 32 schools to return the favor with plenty of size-appropriate competition in the Roanoke area.

“It’s something where we would really enjoy doing it, but the problem is it’s really no benefit to them,†Francisco said. “They’re going to get more points playing the teams in their district.â€

Many coaches and administrators in the area would like to see a greater overlap between districts and conferences and believe it’s a logical move as the VHSL members get adjusted to the new setup.

While playing a regular-season schedule against Conference 32 opponents would solve Abingdon’s playoff seeding problem, the travel required by that system would also break the budget.

“Financially, that would have been a nightmare,†Lasley said.

Unless the VHSL makes drastic changes to its new system in the coming years, the future doesn’t look particularly bright for the Falcons to shake their status as the oddball school of Southwest Virginia.

Abingdon’s average daily enrollment used for classification purposes last year was 874 students. Out of the 53 schools slotted into Class 3A in the six-tiered setup, 31 are bigger than Abingdon and 22 are smaller, placing the Falcons pretty much in the middle of the flock.

While the school has experienced a downward trend in enrollment in recent years, losing students at its current rate would put it at a further disadvantage in 3A for a lengthy period before a bump down to 2A would occur.

“If that trend continues, we’re going to be competing with schools much larger than us and traveling two hours to do so and we’re going to have schools in our county we probably should be competing with,†Delp said.

“In a perfect world we would have had [five classes] and we would have been a big 2A school,†Francisco added.

Amid the gloomy outlook, however, the Abingdon leaders are looking for silver linings.

While the 2A schools with Abingdon in the Southwest District won’t help the Falcons rack up points for the postseason, they all have solid overall athletic programs.

“I guess that’s the positive of being in the district is that every team is strong,†Francisco said about the baseball league. “They’re very comparable to the teams we’ll be playing in the postseason.â€

Delp said he won’t spend the time and money to travel up to the Roanoke area in the regular season when his softball team can be challenged in the district by a perennial power like Virginia High and can stay in the county for a non-district showdown with Holston.

“There’s always been a feeling that the farther west you are in Virginia, I don’t know if pushover is the right word, but the more of a pushover you are,†Delp said. “I think in softball we’ve kind of disapproved that theory in the past five years. Teams are having to start looking at us as viable competition.â€

Regardless of seeding come playoff time, the other Conference 32 schools also will eventually have to prove that they can beat the Falcons on the field.

“I guess the teams that we’re going to play in the playoffs won’t know us either,†Francisco said. “I’m trying to be the optimist here.â€

As many hurdles as Abingdon looks to have to overcome in the new VHSL world, ultimate beauty in sports tends to be in the eye of the trophy-holder.

“We’ll see how it shakes it out,†Francisco said. “If we win the Conference 32 championship, I’ll probably tell you I love it.â€

nhubbard@bristolnews.com | Twitter: @Hubbard_BHCSprt | (276) 645-2543

Did you notice this article didn't even mention football? Amazes me. Granted, the football teams success, or lack thereof, is notable. Simultaneously, football is most definitely the schools money maker. Coaching, coaching, coaching. If you guys on here will please remember for years to come that BigO always mentioned coaching issues at AHS I would greatly appreciate it. That's the closest to being famous as I will ever get....lol. Whenever there is a coaching change at AHS I guarantee you they will win many more games. I don't care who they hire...it.will.not.matter.

Whenever there is a coaching change at AHS I guarantee you they will win many more games. I don't care who they hire...it.will.not.matter.

Abingdon is sleeping giant in football. They need a coach that can recruit the athletes in the building and keep them in the program. Is Hess playing again this year?

I have heard that Hess's father doesn't want him to play football this year because he wants him to concentrate on basketball. Don't know if there is any thruth to that of if Hess is playing football.

Hess is a talent. He can help the ffootball team, but he probably does have a future in college basketball. I have heard that King University (DII) is very interested in him.

From what I have heard Hess is not playing. Don't think he showed up yesterday. They have at least, at least, 7 kids that could start this year and make an impact on both sides of the ball that aren't playing. Their reason? Coaching. Period.

From what I have heard Hess is not playing. Don't think he showed up yesterday. They have at least, at least, 7 kids that could start this year and make an impact on both sides of the ball that aren't playing. Their reason? Coaching. Period.

that's a common complaint among kids and parents these days and while I agree Abingdon needs a change, for kids not to play simply because they don't like the coach is bullshit.

I hear it everywhere...play and stop using the coach as an excuse to not play...it is who it is and you can't help or change it...don't let someone else stop you from doing what you want to do.

I suspect the majority of the kids that use this as an excuse not to play, wouldn't be playing anyway regardless of who was running the show.

Kids today are not the same as kids 20-30 years ago...they are soft in comparison, with the exception of a very few.

I've heard there are several new coaches on board this year. Surely new blood will help things out, right?

They will not help things out. BOWELS does not tolerate thoughtful ideas that are not in lockstep with his own. Big O is right there have been many really good athletes that have left or simply wont play. The reason? He refuses to put the best 11 on the field and try to win games.

Welcome to the

Bluefield Beavers having to go to Charlotte!

No, this is completely different from Bluefield's situation...nobody wanted to play Bluefield for fear of getting throttled. There are plenty of teams that want to play Abingdon but they don't want to play those teams.

"I don't like the coach" means "I really don't want to put in the work to play football" plain and simple

Abingdon has to have the talent in the school to be competitive, idk what the issue is but its embarrassing that it hasn't been fixed.

Abingdon is in a bad situation as far as scheduling but theres not really anything to be done about it right now ], other than trying to get better. Next cycle try to schedule some NET schools or maybe some WNC schools. I hear Bluefield has a hard time finding opponents.

Edited by redtiger

From what I have heard Hess is not playing.

That's a shame. He was the best wide receiver I saw last year and that was after playing only one year of football. While I agree with most of the posters about coaching being a bad reason for not playing a sport it is past time for Abingdon to make a change. They haven't shown much progress in the last three years. The right coach could have a lot of success at a school with that size and money coming in from boosters.

that's a common complaint among kids and parents these days and while I agree Abingdon needs a change, for kids not to play simply because they don't like the coach is bullshit.

I hear it everywhere...play and stop using the coach as an excuse to not play...it is who it is and you can't help or change it...don't let someone else stop you from doing what you want to do.

I suspect the majority of the kids that use this as an excuse not to play, wouldn't be playing anyway regardless of who was running the show.

Kids today are not the same as kids 20-30 years ago...they are soft in comparison, with the exception of a very few.

Lance, I concur....its a crap excuse. But, when you have a coach that will literally threaten to bench you if you play another sport besides that coach's...and then ACTUALLY DO IT...well then there's a reason. I am serious. It happens. Regularly. Also, the coaches know that kids won't play because of them...again, I'm serious...they KNOW. So, being the adult in the situation, the coach should approach the kid and discuss it with them. The "take responsibility" thing goes both ways. However, seeing as how the coach is an adult and is being paid to do this job...well, they need to step up. But, alas, that would mean they would have to work just a smidge harder than required...AND...AND....it might mean you might get home a little later.

And eagles99, yes we do have some new coaches. Whether they are any good is yet to be known....but I am glad we hired some. I'm hoping they can stay out from underneath Bowles' thumb....which none have been able to do thus far.

Here's a little something that blew my mind. Last year at our annual "Meet the Falcons" Fall meeting, our coach stood up in front of all the football parents and told them...and I quote..."if you all want to go to the school board and get me fired, go for it...I was looking for a job when I found this one"....No one prompted the comment...nothing uncivil had been said at all, by any parent. Imagine saying that at your job...to the people that pay your salary.

Help me out Falcon fans with some history because everyone complains about the coach but if I am not wrong in the last 25 years what noise has Abingdon made? I mean they are the alrgest school in the area with all of these great athletes but have not consistently or gone deep in the playoffs. As far as that goes what have they won in the male revenue generating sports? I mean the baseball team gets all of this credit but why? Basketball? I do not know why there has been a consistent failing at AHS but always blaming the coach is just too easy. Now before the faithful goes crazy on me I am just saying if someone always talks about all of this talent where are the titles? Richlands state titles and region titles in football, Gate City the same in football and basketball how about Honaker Baseball, and football. Clintwood and Burton the same in football. My point is the previous teams won big not all have state rings but multiple state playoff appearances and Abingdon doesn't. It might not be all coaching.

when you have a coach that will literally threaten to bench you if you play another sport besides that coach's...and then ACTUALLY DO IT...well then there's a reason. I am serious. It happens.

Here's a little something that blew my mind. Last year at our annual "Meet the Falcons" Fall meeting, our coach stood up in front of all the football parents and told them...and I quote..."if you all want to go to the school board and get me fired, go for it.

If that's true(I'm not saying it isn't, I just don't know) it's rediculious.

Telling the kids that they can only play one sport is ridiculous. That work at really big schools that are competing for state titles but it won't work at average size schools. And really it defeats the whole point of high school athletics, to have fun.

And as far as saying that to the parents, it's the truth but a coach in control of his program doesn't have to address things like that IMO.

Maybe i'm to old, but who did like their coach? They are not supposed to be your buddy, they are teachers of the game. Suck it up and play the game, if you want a friend go to facebook! A good coach is going to get in your face and get the best he can out of each kid and if your feelings gets hurt stay home. FOOTBALL is not for the weak. Men play the game because they love it no matter who coaches them.

Edited by RCITYHOO

But, when you have a coach that will literally threaten to bench you if you play another sport besides that coach's...and then ACTUALLY DO IT...well then there's a reason. I am serious. It happens. Regularly. Also, the coaches know that kids won't play because of them...again, I'm serious...they KNOW. So, being the adult in the situation, the coach should approach the kid and discuss it with them. The "take responsibility" thing goes both ways. However, seeing as how the coach is an adult and is being paid to do this job...well, they need to step up. But, alas, that would mean they would have to work just a smidge harder than required...AND...AND....it might mean you might get home a little later.

Welcome to Graham baseball of the late 20th and early 21st century.

Not all coaches, but some.

Edited by UVAObserver

Maybe i'm to old, but who did like their coach? They are not supposed to be your buddy, they are teachers of the game. Suck it up and play the game, if you want a friend go to facebook! A good coach is going to get in your face and get the best he can out of each kid and if your feelings gets hurt stay home. FOOTBALL is not for the weak. Men play the game because they love it no matter who coaches them.

I have always liked and respected all of my coaches. I can't remember ever having one that I didn't. They were not easy to play for and I might not have agreed with everything they did because at the time I was a kid and didn't really know as much as I probably thought I did...but, I can say I never had a lack of respect or anything bad to say about any of them. Looking back now, the ones that pushed me the hardest are the ones I respect the most. The coaches job is not just to win or make you happy, it's to teach you the game and to help you reach your personal potential...if done correctly you will realize that you were capable and did things beyond what you thought you could...that's what makes sports great.

I have always liked and respected all of my coaches. I can't remember ever having one that I didn't. They were not easy to play for and I might not have agreed with everything they did because at the time I was a kid and didn't really know as much as I probably thought I did...but, I can say I never had a lack of respect or anything bad to say about any of them. Looking back now, the ones that pushed me the hardest are the ones I respect the most. The coaches job is not just to win or make you happy, it's to teach you the game and to help you reach your personal potential...if done correctly you will realize that you were capable and did things beyond what you thought you could...that's what makes sports great.

+1 Good post Lance and I felt the same way when i played !

Respect and likeing are two different things. I also respected all of my coaches but as far as being my buddy,NO. i agree with Lance as for me we are saying the same thing. As i've gotten old my coaches have become friends but when i was in school not so much. Love all my coaches today but 35 years ago i did not, and would really be surprised that when you played that after practice you was telling everybody how much you liked the man that just put you through 2 aday hell!

Respect and likeing are two different things. I also respected all of my coaches but as far as being my buddy,NO. i agree with Lance as for me we are saying the same thing. As i've gotten old my coaches have become friends but when i was in school not so much. Love all my coaches today but 35 years ago i did not, and would really be surprised that when you played that after practice you was telling everybody how much you liked the man that just put you through 2 aday hell!

I always liked Coach Rowe, Coach Compton, Coach Newberry, and Bull. Respected them as coaches, but they were all good guys as well off the field. They were not "Your Buddy"...but, again that's not what being a coach is all about. They ran the hell out of us, they beat us down player vs. player until we didn't really have anything left...sometimes it was even beyond that point...back then water was a privilege and was almost treated as if it was a weakness if you had to have it...two a days were pure hell in a cow pasture...the equipment not as good/safe as what you have now a days... you didn't stand around with your helmet off shooting the crap with someone at any time...you didn't dare question what a coach told you to do, you just did it...sometimes doing the best you could do just wasn't enough, you had to do what was expected of you...the days were long, the hits were brutal, the heat was intense, the workouts were hell...and by god, that was football.