Gate City @ Richlands: Week 1

Nadoball

Any thoughts? Predictions? Will the Blues shine alittle brighter this week after a not so good performance last week at Honaker?

Not real sure what we really have but im going to predict Richlands 21 Gate City 16.

I see a Richlands win. Score will depend on Bakers health. I thought we looked much better the secon half last week, so I expect that to carry over a bit. Establishing the run and getting some nice pa passing is key.

I am going with a 21 to 13 Blues win.  I think this will be a close game as it is most of the time when these 2 match up.  I am also just not sure how good this Richlands offense is going to be this year without the big play maker,   and also,  just how healthy Baker is,  although I did like the way River looked last week when he came in for Gray.   I think this could be one of those games where it's going to be tough for either team to score.  It's the first game, and the defence's are usually ahead of the offenses.

But I'm wrong most of the time so there you go...lol

So now we know that Baker will be out at least a couple of weeks,  so i think this game with GC will be a very close game,  I want to change my score a little.  I'm going to say 17 to 13 Blues.

River M can do a good job but he doesn't have any experience at the varsity level so there will probably be some growing pains.  He is a good athlete who played with a lot of poise friday,  but the regular season is a different animal. But a good line and RB will go a long way to help him adjust.  They are going to have to rely on the D a lot to help keep it close,  which I think the D is very capable of doing.

GO BIG BLUE !

Baker will be out for a couple of weeks.

That's not what I'm hearing. His MRI was inconclusive, and he is having a second one today. He is showing no pain, and has no swelling. There hasn't been a ruling yet as to his status for Friday. That will be determined once his MRI is read. 

I know less about the team this year than in I have since I joined this site in 2007.  I'm going with a homer pick, but I think judging by what everyone else is saying that it will be close.  We all know Gate City always comes to play.  I have a ton of respect for those guys.

GC isn't the same GC from last year. They won't show up to play, they'll show up to win. Richlands will get their best shot, as I'm sure GC will also. I can't wait.

The Gate City program is respected by many Richlands folks and we wouldn't expect anything less than a tough fought game by both teams.

GC Quincy, I have a question, is the newcomer, Caleb Herron any relation to Georgia's great high school coach, Jeff Herron?  I know he's not Coach Herron's son, as Jeff is now coaching at a private school in Athens, Prince Avenue Christian.  Camden County lost in the Corky Kell Bowl in the GA Dome this past week to North Gwinnett.  Camden is not the same team without Herron. 

GC isn't the same GC from last year. They won't show up to play, they'll show up to win. Richlands will get their best shot, as I'm sure GC will also. I can't wait.

We are excited too!!! Look forward to the GC game all offseason. Like others have said, the mutual respect from the fan bases is amazing. It's rare these days.

Ah, my two favorite programs in SWVA. I've been to the last 5 meeting of these two schools and i've witnessed the respect between them firsthand. It's real and it's nice to see.

As for this friday, i think Richlands will be able to win this one. Gonna go with the Blues 27-7.

Although i'm picking against GC this week, i expect them to rebound nicely from last seasons 2-8 mark. 7-3 seems doable. I think the Hicks kid at running back could be really special the next two seasons if he stays healthy.

Its great to hear the respect aspect in this thread and I wish there was more. I two have the utmost respect for Gate City and the fans. They truly are dedicated to their team no matter what . I have enjoyed talking to them over the years.

The Hicks kid I think is the key to how this game will turn out. I love to watch him run. He runs down hill and gets there in a hurry.I expect a close game and a physical game. Its just the way they are taught. Gate City will be fundamentally sound and for sure come to win.

I still think the Blues win in a close one without Grey. If we have A healthy Grey which is not happening I would predict a different score.

Be safe Gate City on your way down here. Can't wait for the game. It should be a good one!

I would be surprised if Richland's wins by anything less that 28-7.  GC was WAY down last season and would have had to have a huge turnaround in 1 offseason AND Richland's would have to have really dropped off a lot to make this game close. GC will be back, there's no doubt about that but I don't think it will be this season

Heard that the Baker kid is done for the season.true?

Unfortunately this is true. It's torn much worse than last year, and has some meniscus damage as well.

Hate it for anyone to get hurt, but with what he went through losing his father, this is a really hard blow to him. At some point it's no longer about football, it becomes about life. This is one of those times. Prayers for the young man.

Unfortunately this is true. It's torn much worse than last year, and has some meniscus damage as well.

Hate it for anyone to get hurt, but with what he went through losing his father, this is a really hard blow to him. At some point it's no longer about football, it becomes about life. This is one of those times. Prayers for the young man.

The sad part is I fear this will be more common as tackling is being forced lower away from the head.  After all look at what is happening in the NFL now.  More and more players are tearing their knees apart.

I hate it for anyone no matter what.  Hope the best for him.