Richlands Jamboree

Ryan4VT

I just got back from the game and I'm gonna give some short thoughts before I head back up to Blacksburg. 

First and most importantly, my thoughts are with the Graham JV RB (I think it was the RB) who broke his leg there at the end. If you saw the MMA fight last year when he broke his leg, that is exactly what happened on that field. Sometimes life is more important than football, and this is one of those times. I hate seeing any injury for any team, but this was almost sickening to watch. Thoughts with him tonight. 

Now, on to football. I only payed close attention to the 40 snaps Richlands took on O and D.

Richlands 21 George Wythe 0

In this set Richlands used the first team offense for 20 snaps and the 1st team defense for 10 snaps. 

Asbury looked very good on his throws. He had two touchdowns to Howie and one to Ball. The first TD was a little pas over the top to Howie for about 30 yards or so. Howie looks very good with good hands and some speed. The second score was a ROCKET of a pass to Howie in the corner of the end zone. Asbury showed confidence zipping that pass just over a GW defender and right onto Howie's chest plate. The third TD was all Scottie Ball breaking away and a little pitch and catch for 39 yards. 

On defense, we only saw one series with the first team guys. They didn't give up a score and looked good against the pass. Had a few misdirection run plays that fooled them a bit, but that is probably expected this early in the process.

Belfry 13 Richlands 7

First series for our D we held Belfry to 23 yards on 10 plays. Very impressed with that series. On the second series we started to rotate in some players that will be in the rotation all year. One of the touchdowns for Belfry was a broken tackle on the outside. I can handle a broken tackle. That will get fixed as the season goes along. The second score was a misdirection play that fooled nearly everyone and the kid with no number on that scored was fast as lightning. 

On offense we scored on a pass to Collins who did a nice toe tap in the back of the end zone to score. Great pass again. Second series we rotated Asbury and Adkinson in and out. On the 9th play Asbury found Ball who got down to the 1/2 yard line. On the last play we were working on some red zone passing and went 5 wide and it was well covered and knocked down. Also, Asbury had a pass get tipped over the middle that was popped up and picked off. 

Overall I think Richlands is the real deal. The hype hasn't been for not, I don't believe. Our offense rotated RB and WR on every play. The depth we have will kill a lot of teams that we play. Also, I didn't see too many play both ways and if they did, they were rotated out on either O or D. That is promising.

Shoutout to Bigrhsfan. Met him tonight. Had some good conversation with he and BlueRazor. Looking forward to more conversation with him!!!

Prayers for the young man from graham, praying for full recovery.

Great words Ryan and I to thought richlands looked really good, but there is small things they will need to get cleaned up and I know the coaches will take care of it. belfry looks primed for a third straight championship they have two Junior defensive lineman that will probably go D1...I think there names are Cole Bently and Rayquan Horton

Sending prayers for this young man, his family and the team.  I saw the ambulance come on the field and knew it was to the Graham side.

You never want to see an injury, and one of this magnitude is heart-wrenching.

First my families' prayers and well wishes to the young man from Graham and his family. Thankfully I was gone before that happened. GW I thought looked pretty good with the eye test like always, and they played good. Richlands looked very good handled GW solidly played as good as Belfry, went toe to toe with them maybe a little more physical than them. I would love to play a full game against them it would be a crap shoot, Belfry and Richlands are both really tough nosed teams that are well coached. Graham looked a little small to me, anyone else think that? I sat down below bigrhsfan I could hear him talking I had meet him last year at the same game. He is super nice, by the way bigrhs I was the bald chubby guy sitting with Wicks and Horton. I was looking for Gman but I just didnt see a groundhog sitting anywhere, but I did see Fred Simon and he was checking out Graham. Gman keep us posted on the young man with the leg injury if you will I hope he heals well and ends up being a superstar for you guys in the future. 

I was looking for Gman but I just didnt see a groundhog sitting anywhere.

Couldn't make it to R-town tonight...in-laws took me out to dinner for my b-day...no way in hell I'm passing that up.  Besides, the game wasn't on the radio and I was all out of Cheetos...and clean boxers...

We should have a meeting place for members at each game during the season. Can't wait to go to Union a Dr. I work with went to Powell Valley, and I'm tired of saying the better team didnt win after we play them lol. Union and Gate City are my favorite away games each year. Of course it is early in the season so it's nice weather, Union edges it out I love walking down the side walk and the folks grilling in the yards and so polite it feels like walking back in time. I bet it has not change for years like it should be.

As with everyone else,  I want to wish the Graham player , his family and teammates all the best and I will keep him in my prayers !  My last post in the 2015 Richlands thread was that I hoped all the teams would have a safe scrimmage tonight and come out of it with no injuries,  but sad to say that didn't happen for Graham and I truly hate to see that for the young man and the Graham team !

Great write up Ryan,  and I 2nd your thoughts !  They do have a few little things to clean up.  Would like to see them be a little more effective in the run game,  but I  don't think they put a lot of emphasis on the running game either tonight  My guess is they wanted to get Asbury comfortable in the pocket and making his decisions on where to go with the ball.  He throws a fantastic ball that looks to be very catchable.  I was impressed with him tonight and he will only get better !  I was also impressed with the receiving corps and the D will be tough !  Should be another good year for Blues football !

I really enjoyed meeting Ryan & Razor !  Great guys and very knowledgeable about the Blues and football in general and I look forward to meeting up with both of them again in the future!

I use to know all the players and their numbers but I had to keep asking both Ryan and Razor who this kid was or this other kid was so I hope I didn't aggravate you guys too much....lol

I hope you had a safe trip back to Blackburg Ryan !

HM3-8404,   Thanks so much for the compliment !  Same back at ya !

I hate I didn't see you,  I wish you would have said something to me so I would have known it was you !  I really enjoyed meeting you and talking to you last year,  maybe we can get together at another game soon.  I seem to be having those ( gray hair syndrome ) moments more and more so please forgive for not recognizing you and speaking to you tonight.  If you see me,  just give me a good kick or throw something at me to get my attention.....lol

It was a good evening all around and it was nice being back in the stands watching High school football again......... except of course for the injury.

As they have already said,  someone from Graham please keep us informed and I will be praying for a 100% recovery for the young man !

Oh,  by the way.........Happy Birthday Gman !

Would like to just send up a special prayer tonight for Mike Mason the young man injured in the scrimmage. I was so excited like everyone else this evening driving to the stadium to watch some good high school football! As I left this evening I couldn't help but realize how small football truly is in the game of life. it's very sad on my behalf that it took a traumatic event like this to make me realize it! I wish all the area teams the best of luck moving forward this season and please keep Mike MONEY Mason in your prayers! He is a great kid

Prayers for that young man.

Ryan is spot on.

They will get better with each encounter.

Belfry had a o lineman must have been 6'6, seems they always have a very stout line.

Always leave these type scrimmages feeling I have just seen a little of what 1st string can do here and there.

Sure would have liked to seen number 3 get one in open space to see what he could do.

Who are the QBs for jv?  Present and future look bright.

Prayers to the young man! Hope all is well with him.

Sounds like this Richlands team is the real deal which I expected from what I saw last year. I feel like yalls style of play is gonna be very similar to Unions. You guys have a ton of depth at receiver while Union maybe doesn't have as much depth but has UNBELIEVEABLE size at wideout with the twin towers. I expect great QB play from both teams as well. After the season ended last year I projected Richlands to be substantially better than the rest of the pack this season......but after the showing yesterday from Union it's hard to say really. It could be a another showdown between the Blues and the Bears this year....however I'm sticking to my early prediction from last year. Richlands hanging with Belfry... the defending 3A KY state champs or Union playing a much larger TN High that's typically a solid team.....and moving the ball at will! I'd love to see this game....should be another classic!!

Prayers for the injured Graham player. An ever-present reminder that these young men put their bodies on the line every snap for their community and for their team.

How did Graham look, injury aside?

I didn't get to watch them very intently, as we didn't play each other. But from the 10-15 plays I watched them run they had nice speed buy the team seemed very undersized. Belfry pretty much moved the ball at will against them and if I'm not mistaken I don't think Graham got in the end zone. As for GW, I saw GW score at least twice and I can't remember seeing Graham score. But that could be wrong.

They are defiantly improved. But some people on here were saying 7-3 and I'm not seeing that from the scrimmage. Im thinking 5-5 or 6-4 type hear. Definitely improved, but still a ways to go.

I'm thinking .500 or worse for Graham, not sure they will win a non-district game, maybe one at the most, and they won't go undefeated in MED play...

I think people bit into the poisoned apple that is 7 on 7. You may look like a world beater in 7 on 7, but 11 on 11 is a whole new ballgame.