Don't know what to think

HM3-8404

Richlands- Played well against GW and Belfry. Could have beat Honaker by 60 but played real sloppy at times, the best team they've fielded since 2010                       but need to clean up a lot of small stuff. Could go 10-0 or 7-3. Have the pieces to win state or win one playoff game and out.

Union- Their stock went way up after Tenn High game. Then down some after Tenn High got blew up and the fact that Grundy was in the same ball park               as them. could be 10-0 or 7-3.

Gate City- I get the vibe they may have a below average year for them, which means they can still beat anyone they play but will lose a few much like last                    years Richlands team. 8-2 or 5-5 will win at least one playoff game maybe get on a run and make some noise. 

Graham- After playing GW and Belfry I thought 5-5 would be the best they could pull off. After Gretna and Glenvar game I don't know what to think Gretna                has been down for years but always have some play makers and Glenvar is head and shoulders the best AA team in the state according to most                so either Graham was really screwing around in the first games or Glenvar is really over rated.

Tazewell- I thought they would end up below .500 and maybe not make the playoffs, but after the GW game they may be a surprise.

Grundy- Was wondering if they would win a game, but after how they played Union now I'm thinking they could get in the playoffs.

GW- Look really good with the eye test, but have left me wanting more with their play. Have a lot of up side and I believe they will be playing 13 or more             games this year.

Glenvar- I just don't know I can only judge from what I watched Graham do against GW and Belfry and if that same Graham team beat them it don't look                good. 

Abingdon- Sounds solid could go 10-0 or 7-3. Depth may be a problem.

Honaker- They will be good maybe 9-1 or 7-3.

I have only watched Richlands and those teams that have played them. Most likely those surprises I've brought up have a logical reason that I have no clue about ( wouldn't be the first time I've had no clue). Like I said Richlands only beat Honaker 27-3 but it was way worse than that. Glenvar/Graham and Union/Grundy really are confusing to me.  

Definitely don't think that Grundy was in the same ball park. Their first drive was solid but after that Union had their way with them on offense and defense. The last 2 td's they scored was against a lot of reserves and the final was even after they scored with 4 seconds to go after calling a timeout near the goal line with primarily JV players on the field. The score was no sign of the way that game went. Union would have beaten Grundy by 5 TD.

TN High cant play with DB but idk if anyone East of Knoxville and west of Roanoke can. DB is just on a different level.

I think YOU have Glenvar overrated. They won state last year, congratulations on a great season but several of those games were close and the truth is with all the turnovers they should have buried Union but instead just escaped with a win. Nothing against them but I think there are a hand full of teams that are right there with Glenvar. Really good team but not head and shoulders above the next 3-4 teams in 2A

Exactly ThunderCloud... You can't go off any of the recent scrimmages and benefit games. Coaches really hate playing scrimmages and benefit games due to injuries. It's just like the NFL preseason games (Worthless). These games are for fans to speculate who will win the State Championship. It's just absurd. A lot has to be in place to win a State Championship and it's not scrimmages or benefit games.

TN High cant play with DB but idk if anyone East of Knoxville and west of Roanoke can. DB is just on a different level.

DB has a great reputation, but they should be head and shoulders of anyone between Roanoke and Knoxville due to enrollment.  They probably arent the best team in the TriCities again this year though. I think the tide has turned in the rivalry between SH and DB.  DB may be lucky to go 6-4 this year, and 5-5 is what I think is most likely for them.

It's a jamboree. Union had their reserves in. If you want the score of the game with just first string it was more 21-6. Had Union left the first string in then they very well could have won by 4 or 5 touchdowns. But they need them against Burton.

If Union had played DB then I guarantee they would have been destroyed in the same manner Tennessee High was. That's the sad truth.

10-0 for Union would be great. I'd be proud of them. Just like I would be if they went 7-3. I hope they're getting ready for Burton's speedy offense. 

Thanks for all the input Union fans, like I said I wasn't there it makes more sense now. I understand that you don't want to show everything this time of year, but you still want to get your timing and reads down and you want your kids to put forth their best effort. Blue and white games and such are just for fans, these games the last two weeks have a purpose. The idea that you would try to run 21 dive play after play just so you don't show anything is a fan fantasy. I know you don't leave your starters in and you don't win at all costs and you work on specific things and put in different combos of players on the line and so on, these games mean something to the coaching staff and players if these games meant nothing the coaches would not play them. You would be better off just practicing than running 21 dive for 30 minutes in a row just because the team you play next week has a coach there. For me I was just as happy Losing to Belfry 13-7 than beating GW 21-0 or Honaker 27-3. Believe me you don't want to go into a Gate City game week 1 or Union week 2 saying we've got this 21 dive down pat for a yard and a half. In my opinion the first two or three series this time of year lets you know what you are in for.

I don't have Glenvar over rated, just going by state web sites (who by the way don't have Richlands in the top ten) and someone whom I know from Glenvar and says he is in the know. I'm a UVA football fan and a Chicago Bears fan so trust me when I say I know a bad team when I see one. I think by this time of year if you've watched your team these first two warm up games then you should have a good idea what you're going to have. I know Union has some players who haven't played as mentioned on prior posts by Union fans so that may muddy the waters on getting a clean view of what you have. Richlands has a top 10 team with that being said they may under achieve just as last year I think they over achieved. 

I could be wrong, but I don't see any team around here that can stop the passing game of Union.  5 wideouts that can flat out catch and run.  I just don't see any defense around that can stop them, not even Richlands.  Rarely do you see 3 guys 6'4" or taller that are athletes that can run at a high school level.  Even if teams can line up and stop the run they cant stop the pass, I just don't see it.  I could be wrong.  These scrimmages that have been played have been very low profiled and only a hint has been shown.  I could be biased but Ive watched a lot of high school football thru the years and haven't seen this many skill players on one team at a time.   The only weakness this team shows is the interior on defense and it may surprise us.

I could be wrong, but I don't see any team around here that can stop the passing game of Union. 5 wideouts that can flat out catch and run. I just don't see any defense around that can stop them, not even Richlands. Rarely do you see 3 guys 6'4" or taller that are athletes that can run at a high school level. Even if teams can line up and stop the run they cant stop the pass, I just don't see it. I could be wrong. These scrimmages that have been played have been very low profiled and only a hint has been shown. I could be biased but Ive watched a lot of high school football thru the years and haven't seen this many skill players on one team at a time. The only weakness this team shows is the interior on defense and it may surprise us.

We will see for sure in a few weeks. But Richlands has a couple players at 6'3 and have speed all over the field. If there is a team that can hold Union in moderate check, it's Richlands.

Richlands has problems with Union even when we have the better team. From what I'm gathering we should be evenly matched which may not be good for us. I think we can hang wih anyone we seem very physical even more so than normal.

Union better focus on the Raiders right now . Then the Blue Tornado is next to prepare for.

Yep,  all this talk about the Union and Richlands matchup is fun and it "should" be a great game,  but both of these teams had better be concentrating on this weeks opponent,  neither of them are playing walkovers !

Of course I know that the coaches of both teams are looking only at the game this week,  but the players and fans better do the same. 

Wow swvaoutdoors. You could be right, but my money is on Richlands of course they are my team. Union may beat us as a matter of fact about 4 teams on our schedule could beat us. This teams is big even the shorter players are very muscular and the team as a whole are very physical. Like I said in another post this team is our best since 2010. The last four years have been barn burners with these two teams. I really think RHS will be very physical and put their stamp on this game I think Mance wants this game more than any regular season game we will play.

It is just my opinion but I believe this Union team is the best they have seen since the Appy and PV teams of the 90s. If you are going to make it to state this year in my opinion you will have to make it through Big Stone Gap. Richlands in my opinion will be the second best team in this area.