Don't know what to think

HM3-8404

Has Union improved that much over last year?  No disrespect to them as they were good last year but I really didn't think they were great.  They had some excellent safety and corner coverage but could be run on.

Again I'm just trying to understand what has changed that they are so much better this year.

Has Union improved that much over last year? No disrespect to them as they were good last year but I really didn't think they were great. They had some excellent safety and corner coverage but could be run on.

Again I'm just trying to understand what has changed that they are so much better this year.

A lot of hype centers around those 6'5 receivers they have up there. And I think I saw someone mention a ILB that is supposed to be good.

I think defense is the big unknown. Your front seven is such an important part to consistently stopping opponents game after game. You can have great skill players and still get beat. If Union gets great line play I think they will be tough to handle. They will play us tough no matter what.

Some teams just have your number and I think the Bears has ours. I will be anxious to see how there defense looks and plan on being there in person along with several other Blues.

I think defense is the big unknown. Your front seven is such an important part to consistently stopping opponents game after game. You can have great skill players and still get beat. If Union gets great line play I think they will be tough to handle. They will play us tough no matter what.

Some teams just have your number and I think the Bears has ours. I will be anxious to see how there defense looks and plan on being there in person along with several other Blues.

I know one team VERY WELL that doesn't have Richlands number lol

Has Union improved that much over last year?  No disrespect to them as they were good last year but I really didn't think they were great.  They had some excellent safety and corner coverage but could be run on.

Union was only expected to go 5-5 last year coming into the season(this even coming from some on the coaching staff). Sometimes they looked great and sometimes they looked downright terrible. They only had about 5 seniors that started. Had 2 true freshmen and several sophomores that started. The rest were juniors. Had multiple injuries throughout the season. Three of which were to the starting 6'5 receiver, starting running back, and a VERY good starting lineman that missed multiple games.

Even with all that, they still went 8-2 and overachieved greatly.

So, this year, it is just a matter of 17 of the 22 starters returning bigger, stronger, faster, and HOPEFULLY a lot better. That's where the hype comes from. Whether or not they live up to that hype remains to be seen.

I can say, with certainty, that this is by far the most aggressive defense they have had in their existence. I don't know how that will correspond to points and stats, but they were flying to the ball and hitting hard in their scrimmages. Just the attitude and they way they carry themselves on defense has been different. More confidence I guess you could say.

Does anyone truly know how tall these kids are? 6'4"? 6'5"? 7'?  Their legend grows every day, starting to sound like JIBs five 300lb linemen

Yes. Gavin is 6'5", Mitchell is 6'4", Barnette is 6'4", Barnette is the heaviest at 230/240. Nokes is 6' - 6'1". Another receiver that may be in the mix is only around 5'8".

Union was only expected to go 5-5 last year coming into the season(this even coming from some on the coaching staff). Sometimes they looked great and sometimes they looked downright terrible. They only had about 5 seniors that started. Had 2 true freshmen and several sophomores that started. The rest were juniors. Had multiple injuries throughout the season. Three of which were to the starting 6'5 receiver, starting running back, and a VERY good starting lineman that missed multiple games.

Even with all that, they still went 8-2 and overachieved greatly.

So, this year, it is just a matter of 17 of the 22 starters returning bigger, stronger, faster, and HOPEFULLY a lot better. That's where the hype comes from. Whether or not they live up to that hype remains to be seen.

I can say, with certainty, that this is by far the most aggressive defense they have had in their existence. I don't know how that will correspond to points and stats, but they were flying to the ball and hitting hard in their scrimmages. Just the attitude and they way they carry themselves on defense has been different. More confidence I guess you could say.

I know they looked great in one particular 4th qtr. last year...........that still hurts......lol.

I know this RHS fan doesn't think they are over hyped,  they always play us tough and it's gonna take a great effort from our guys,  especially with the game at Union to have an opportunity to come out of there with a win.

But our focus had better be on the Devils this week,  because whether they are up or down,  it's still GC and they will give a great effort and come to Ernie to win the game !

Dang,  I have heard wayyyyyyy to much coach speak over the years..........lol,  but never the less,  that is true ! 

I think that the Burton/Union matchup tomorrow may be a lot better than many seem to think.

From what I am hearing Union already has this game penciled in as 30+ point blow out with JV taking mop-up duty in the 2nd half

From the Burton Folks I am hearing that this it there best line in memory and should have speed at the skill positions that will bring back memory's of the Keys/Miles years.

This could be a trap game for the Bears if the Big Norton OL can limit Unions possessions and use there speed on D to put pressure on the Union QB (Who according to this board has been out of action in the teams first 2 preseason contests due to violation of a school/team rule?)

I think that the safe money is still on Union but Norton may put a good scare in the Union faithful

Don't know where you are hearing that Union is overlooking Burton but from what Ive actually seen, they have been working on playing specifically Burton for a couple of weeks.  Rumors are rumors, believe what you will, but this team is focused on Burton only.  I seriously doubt a coach would overlook a state champion track guy running the ball for his opponent.  Like I said, rumors are rumors.  Stay focused Danielson.

I seriously doubt a coach would overlook a state champion track guy running the ball for his opponent.

I agree 100% but for the kids playing that is quite often a different story.

Heck on this site alone there is 3X as much chatter about next weeks match up with Richlands as there is there match up with Burton....There is more Chatter about Union vs GC than Burton

We are fans (for the most part), not players. So of course we look forward to a matchup that could go a long way towards a very high seed. That said, Richlands isn't overlooking GC, and I'm sure Union is overlooking Burton. Both teams have good, high quality matchups to start their seasons, respectively. 

We fans will continue to look ahead to matchups that we identify as key ones.

Chubzfan and Counts........I don't think by any means Union or Richlands would overlook any opponent period! Anybody that overlooks Gate City would be foolish. Gate City is more than capable of beating us and may do it.

What's wrong with us fans debating and talking about future opponents? I thought that is what we do here and enjoy doing it. Just because we talk about a game down the road doesn't mean we think any less of the current opponent. Anybody that knows me at all knows how I feel about Gate City and there fan base.

If nothing comes up I plan on being at the Union and Richlands games. Its finally about here and can't wait to watch both of them play!

At what point in the season do you want to play your toughest game? I've been thinking of this because of the Graham/Bluefield game. If you play them the first game then you start off on even ground 0-0 vs. 0-0, both fan bases are real excited you have a month to get ready and game plan for just this one game. Later in the season you've got all the bugs worked out and you have all this film on your rivals and they only have a week to game plan for you, but you may have lopsided records 8-1 vs. 2-7 or so and maybe your fan base have started wishing for basketball. I've always been happy to play GC the first game for all those reasons I stated above, but last year it worked out better for us at the end of the season. just wondering what you guys think.