Best games this week?

HM3-8404

I'm usually not real excited about Graham/Bluefield because it is normally lopsided toward the Beavers, this year I'm thinking if I wasn't a Richlands fan this is the game I would like to see. I can't help but feel we are at a turning point in the Graham program.

The Richlands/GC game is always a classic. If we can win by 20+ then we are for real. I would be happy with a win period.

Union/Burton game I will pay attention to also. I think that game will let us know a little more about the Bears.

Those are the three in order that I'm going to follow that will let us know a little more of what folks are bringing to the table.

JIB/Union   Both will go far in A and AA this season. I picked JIB as a darkhorse earlier in the year but imo they are moving towards being the West favorites behind some excellent line play and a couple of solid backs.

GC/RIchlands has become somewhat of a SWVA tradition and cant be overlooked. 

Of course the game im most looking forward to is Ridgeview/Jenkins. I dont expect much of a game but it will be the first for the program and means a lot to the people of Dickenson Co. If it wasnt the first game for the program I woud be at JIB/Union

I'm heading to Norton Thursday night too.  Looking forward to seeing if Perrigan still has that same speed and drive.  It would sure be nice to have him at  AHS still. I know very little about JIB but I think they have another senior RB besides Perrigan.  Anybody know anything about him? 

Who do you all think the BHC will pick in the RHS/GC game?   

I'm heading to Norton Thursday night too.  Looking forward to seeing if Perrigan still has that same speed and drive.  It would sure be nice to have him at  AHS still. I know very little about JIB but I think they have another senior RB besides Perrigan.  Anybody know anything about him? 

The other running back burton Has is Matthew Branham #32. Great player, but perrigan is on a different level. 

Branham is a solid RB, I Back type but Unionguy is right, Perrigan is on a whole different level.

JIB runs a double slot(2 Split Ends and 2 Wing Backs). A lot of Jet Sweep and GT Counter with some Trap and Lead mixed in. Passing game is play action. In the past they ran it with the QB at Pistol depth and the FB beside him but they run some undercenter too

Branham is a solid RB, I Back type but Unionguy is right, Perrigan is on a whole different level.

JIB runs a double slot(2 Split Ends and 2 Wing Backs). A lot of Jet Sweep and GT Counter with some Trap and Lead mixed in. Passing game is play action. In the past they ran it with the QB at Pistol depth and the FB beside him but they run some undercenter too

Yessir. Very good information here. As much as I hope he doesn't do well thursday night (for obvious reasons) Isaac May be the fastest player i've seen in person.

Maybe I'm way off, but I did not see the Burton team that everyone has hyped to be, INCLUDING myself. Perrigan seemed gimpy the whole night. Don't know if it was the brace or something else. He broke away once in the Grundy game, and he just simply didn't seem as fast as advertised.

Don't get me wrong Burton has a solid team, but I didn't see the team I expected. Maybe they were playing opossum.

And anyone planning to go...they replaced their visitor bleachers with 4 tiny little sections. The band, I'm sure, will take up one. That only leaves 3 and they are at field level, so the first 3-5 rows won't be able to see over the players on the sideline.

Maybe I'm way off, but I did not see the Burton team that everyone has hyped to be, INCLUDING myself. Perrigan seemed gimpy the whole night. Don't know if it was the brace or something else. He broke away once in the Grundy game, and he just simply didn't seem as fast as advertised.

Don't get me wrong Burton has a solid team, but I didn't see the team I expected. Maybe they were playing opossum.

And anyone planning to go...they replaced their visitor bleachers with 4 tiny little sections. The band, I'm sure, will take up one. That only leaves 3 and they are at field level, so the first 3-5 rows won't be able to see over the players on the sideline.

Planned on showing up at 4:30 for those very reasons...

Thanks for the info.  Perrigan I am very familiar with since he played here growing up.  If you get a chance youtube him and watch him leap over a defender.  Of course, that's a penalty now but it was still awesome to watch.  Thanks for the heads up about the bleachers.  Won't be able to get there until right before the game starts...is there anywhere decent to stand?

Thanks for the info. Perrigan I am very familiar with since he played here growing up. If you get a chance youtube him and watch him leap over a defender. Of course, that's a penalty now but it was still awesome to watch. Thanks for the heads up about the bleachers. Won't be able to get there until right before the game starts...is there anywhere decent to stand?

Pretty much right at the flagpole/right in front of the school. If you aren't familiar with the campus you'll get what I mean when you get there.

I'm with Union_Fan... I didn't see much from Burton at the Jamboree. Of course that's the case with most teams in preseason scrimmages/jamborees but with Burton there wasn't much. Perrigan is fast but being fast isn't always enough. He took one good shot (from a very undersized Castlewood player) and was gimpy the whole rest of the game. Not sure he will make it a whole season but I hope so. They are big up front which will hurt a team that runs between the tackles, but Union definitely doesn't fit that bill. I'm biased, but I'm taking Union by 3 TD's in this one!

Thanks for the info.  Perrigan I am very familiar with since he played here growing up.  If you get a chance youtube him and watch him leap over a defender.  Of course, that's a penalty now but it was still awesome to watch.  Thanks for the heads up about the bleachers.  Won't be able to get there until right before the game starts...is there anywhere decent to stand?

If it is a penalty now, it was a penalty then.  The rule hasnt changed for a few decades at least.

If it is a penalty now, it was a penalty then.  The rule hasnt changed for a few decades at least.

I'm completely against this rule, btw. There's not many high school athletes that will attempt to jump over someone. Why are we penalizing a kid who has the fortitude and athletic ability to pull it off?

Its a safety concern, not for the runner but for the defender.  Most dont understand the rule though.  If the player being hurdled is on the ground its fine, the concern is hurdling players who are still on their feet.  That is where it is illegal and a common sense rule, trying to keep a player from being kneed or kicked in the head when the runner doesnt have as much altitude as they think they have.