Top Senior QB'S in SWVA

wave316

"

You are right Razor,  he has grown and continues to grow as a QB.  I would like to see him run a little more when he has no open receivers..........which doesn't happen very often,  but when he has had to run,  he's been pretty effective.  I would also like to see him not lock on to one receiver quite as much.  He has gotten much better,  but still does at times.  That's one of the hardest things for a young QB to learn though,  but he has gotten better !  Can't wait to see his growth from this year to next.

Agree on all points. I try and remember that Union was only his second game as starting QB. He is excelling in all aspects of the position. The young man is special. SWVA is loaded with good QB play this year and many great athletes at many positions 

1A. Sturgill

1B. Asbury

2. Spears

3.Lundy

But honestly, the same could be said about Spears even if he was a senior. This was his first year as a starting QB, even tho hes a senior, and he has gotten progressively better each week.

I think both kids are PHENOMENAL athletes and QBs and Asbury is prob a tick better, but Spears keeps getting better and better

The next QB in line is Travis' son, Bailey Turner. He has been groomed to take over the QB spot once Spears graduated and that boy could end up being a very good QB. His sophomore year, Mitchell's senior, could lead to that duo putting up serious numbers. 

Finley from Radford dosen't have big numbers but he has some magic he keeps in his pocket for those special moments. Probably not as good of a QB as the ones you've listed above but one great athlete I'd put up aganist anyone around.

But honestly, the same could be said about Spears even if he was a senior. This was his first year as a starting QB, even tho hes a senior, and he has gotten progressively better each week.

I think both kids are PHENOMENAL athletes and QBs and Asbury is prob a tick better, but Spears keeps getting better and better

The next QB in line is Travis' son, Bailey Turner. He has been groomed to take over the QB spot once Spears graduated and that boy could end up being a very good QB. His sophomore year, Mitchell's senior, could lead to that duo putting up serious numbers. 

Mitchell will be a Junior next year, so they'll have 2 years together.

Finley from Radford dosen't have big numbers but he has some magic he keeps in his pocket for those special moments. Probably not as good of a QB as the ones you've listed above but one great athlete I'd put up aganist anyone around.

He may not be as good a QB as others but he is the second best athlete I have seen this season behind Charles Harris.  That isn't intended to be a slight on Finley's athleticism.  Harris is just physically dominant for this level.

Mitchell will be a Junior next year, so they'll have 2 years together.

Thats what I was trying to say lol.

Turner is a freshman this year, James a sophomore. So Bailey will have Mitchell and Jeb Stidham for two seasons while he is a starter.

Thats what I was trying to say lol.

Turner is a freshman this year, James a sophomore. So Bailey will have Mitchell and Jeb Stidham for two seasons while he is a starter.

And Union returns all O and D linemen next year but one, so Turner and Mitchell will have a solid foundation to perfect their skills from.

I wouldnt rank his as my top 5 qbs but he definitely is one of the top athletes ive seen. He is quick, agile, and has an arm when needed. His style of play is similar to Tyrod Taylor. and when Finley gets some open space he is like a rocket,

Here are unofficial stats I garnered from Blfd Daily, Bristol Herald and Richlands News Press on Asbury through 9 games

SCORE             TEAM             YDS         ATTS      COMP       INT         TD'S

42-7 (W)          Gate City          203           20              11            1              3

42-41(L)           Union               264           32              18            3              2

49-7 (W)           Graham           258           16              12            0              4

47-7 (W)           Central            154             *                *              0              2

55-20 (W)         Va High           247           17              13             0              4

45-30 (W)         Bluefield          384           26              17             0              5

48-7 (W)           Tazewell         203            21              21             0              4

56-0 (W)           Grundy           211            11                9              0              4

56-21 (W)         Abingdon        208           21               14             1              5

_____________________________________

2132         164             115            5            33

*I could not find stats on Central game for attempts and completions

HUDL has Asbury listed with 2158 yds through 9 games

Anyone know where to look to find box score for all the games? I have only found for four Union.

Spears:

Eastside-8/8, 219 yards, 5 TD

Wise-1 rush TD, 96 passing yards

JIB-53 rush yards, 6/8, 74 pass yards, 3 total TD

Ridgeview: 11/16, 131 yards, 5 total TDs.

So in four games, Spears has 14 TD. 

Here are unofficial stats I garnered from Blfd Daily, Bristol Herald and Richlands News Press on Asbury through 9 games

SCORE             TEAM             YDS         ATTS      COMP       INT         TD'S

42-7 (W)          Gate City          203           20              11            0              3

42-41(L)           Union               264           32              18            3              2

49-7 (W)           Graham           258           16              12            0              4

47-7 (W)           Central            154             *                *              0              2

55-20 (W)         Va High           247           17              13            0              4

45-30 (W)         Bluefield          384           26              17            0              5

48-7 (W)           Tazewell         203            21              21            0              4

56-0 (W)           Grundy           211            11                9            0              4

56-21 (W)         Abingdon        208           21               14            1              5

_____________________________________

2132         164             115           4             33

*I could not find stats on Central game for attempts and completions

HUDL has Asbury listed with 2158 yds through 9 games

For some reason i believed he threw for over 400 yards against Bluefield. 

I thought he had 4 picks before throwing 1 against abingdon ?

If he had one against Central that would be four but I don't think he had threw one since Union until last week. So I'm not sure on that but I will find out for you.